Bivvy a month 2022

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

benp1

Re: Bivvy a month 2022

Post by benp1 »

It’s my busy time of year at work and the point at which I struggle to get out. Even though I've mostly been at home, I've been working late every night and am generally feeling pretty tired. Wasn't particularly up for a bivvy but seeing as I committed to BAM I wanted to get it done it and not risk it drifting to later in the month

Finished work on Friday slightly earlier than I thought I would (about 9ish) which left me enough time to get sorted and get out. I moved house last year and have a room above my garage/workshop with an office/kit store. It's a full blown man cave and I rather like it :-bd

This is a picture of the kit store end. Most my kit is in that big units with some smaller units dotted around. Shelters and sleeping bags stored in the eaves to the left and rucksacks/bags to the right.

It's better organised than I had before so grabbing stuff last minute is now a bit easier. Given I was leaving last minute and would be staying local I skipped the faff of strapping bags onto the bike and just lobbed it all in a rucksack. Golite Jam for anyone interested, cracking rucksack, and very easy to pack.

The forecast was for a pretty cold night so I took my -10 winter sleeping bag, but it was going to be dry so didn’t bother with anything overhead, just a borah bivy. I really do like sleeping without a tarp and do so regularly, it’s also less faff! My regular bivy bits are all kept together so the little bits are easy to pack. Things that aren’t in there are easy to forget though. For example, like an idiot I forgot my water bottle! That was annoying.

Left home at about 10pm and was at my bivy spot all set up around 11pm. I’d eyed this spot up previously but not actually been here. Pretty uneventful ride apart from scaring a few deer that weren’t expecting someone to turn up. It’s really not very high but there is a gradual run down to the coast so the view is pretty reasonable, certainly took me by surprise. It was too dark to take pictures in the evening but the lights of Portsmouth were very visible as there’s so little light pollution here. Had just about enough moon to wander about in the more open areas without a headtorch

Had a good sleep, really toasty warm in my sleeping bag. It's heavier and bigger than my normal sleeping bags or quilt so often don't take it bikepacking. Overall I was a lot warmer than I expected to be, there was a constant breeze but I was on the downwind side of lots of trees so I was nicely protected. When I popped to the other side of the trees in the morning it felt much cooler, had to get my glove on pretty quick after taking these photos.

Pics of the bivy spot

View down towards Portsmouth

Panorama showing the view, I’d moved further back here, my bivvy spot is about a third of the way in from the right by those trees

Mostly off road on the way home, had a bit of an explore as I’m usually riding in this area in the dark so it’s nice to actually see it. Found another spot that is clearly used by hunters for shooting deer, there’s a high seat (there are lots in the area) but a couple of picnic benches chained up on top of each other, a muddy track leading up to it and a nice flat grassy spot. Might be a good bivvy site when it’s less windy as it would be quite exposed.

Given my lack of water bottle I didn’t have a drink and couldn’t really be bothered to eat anything as I was only a few miles from home. Mostly downhill as well. Had a big brekkie when I got home – hash browns with fried eggs, fried chorizo and loads of beans. Oh and some Encona. Yum yum!
Verena

Post by Verena »

As I'm sure we all know, yesterday was Valentine's day. Mr Z got me a nice surprise:

ImageIMG_20220214_175712 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Of the two of us though, I think he had the bigger surprise: At bedtime, after me earlier on having muttered things including "night to remember" "not expecting to get much sleep" etc., I announced that I was going upstairs to be bedroom, in order to just slip into something more suitable for the occasion....only to come back down five minutes later, breeze past him on the stairs, and with a quick peck on the cheek and cheery "good night then my love" disappear out the front door and into the night....
I'm not exactly sure what he had been expecting, but I'm guessing a vision of head to toe merino, fleece and pertex was possibly not quite it.... :wink:

I had managed to catch a brief dry spell between recent deluges, and headed for higher ground, as my favourite riverside spot was probably flooded, or about to get flooded during the night... It was a beautifully clear, perfectly still night with a big bright moon, so no head torch needed.

I wanted to play with my tarp again, as I hadn't done that for a while, and I was so pleased with my creation, a thing of beauty, best pitch I've ever done I reckon: I found a big old tree trunk, with a large branch stump, making a sort of V shape, just nice to snuggle down in. I draped the tarp over the edge of that, making a nice, lowish shelter, but just tall enough to sit up in, and with a nice little "window" behind my head, to watch the moon and stars through.
I don't have a good enough camera for night shots, which was a shame. I thought never mind, I'll take a pic in the morning.

As forecast, rain came in during the night, and it got quite windy too. Made a cuppa about 6 am, poor gas stove had a job staying alight, so I had to use my seat pack as a makeshift wind shield... got there in the end.
ImageIMG_20220215_055502 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Both the wind and rain got stronger and stronger. I sat there for a while, hoping in vain and against the odds that it might eventually get light enough to take a half decent photo....never happened, eventually the tarp gave up and blew off, all my stuff and I got soaked through within minutes, and this crappy photo is just for the purpose of evidence:

ImageIMG_20220215_070613 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Short but slightly sketchy ride home with very strong sideways gusts, and the roads starting to flood.

Great fun, February done 2/12.

Only thought on a more serious note: True what JC always says about the importance of packing space, as no way were the wet tarp, bivvy bag and sleep mat going neatly back into their small stuff sacks. And I thought, great fun all this for one night, but if this was part of a multi day trip, you'd really want to find somewhere during the day to dry kit and repack, otherwise that would be a very soggy and probably miserable second night...
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

Beltin' :-bd
If that pot could talk I bet it could tell a few tales!
RIP

Post by RIP »

Verena wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:26 am I announced that I was going upstairs to be bedroom, in order to just slip into something more suitable for the occasion....only to come back down five minutes later, breeze past him on the stairs, and with a quick peck on the cheek and cheery "good night then my love" disappear out the front door and into the night....
I'm not exactly sure what he had been expecting, but I'm guessing a vision of head to toe merino, fleece and pertex was possibly not quite it.... :wink:
Picture the scene :lol: . Actually I don't have to picture it 'cos similar gets enacted at the Perrinery frequently.
making a sort of V shape
A V for V. Handy. :grin:

Brilliant report. Most people hate February BaMs but I love 'em. Always get a story, and that was a story. Bad luck with the errant tarp. What pegs and lines did ya have? Or did what they were attached to give way?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Verena

Post by Verena »

Sorry Reg, exaggerating as usual....
Tarp did really well considering, it was attached initially with just three pegs, and the fourth line tied to my bike. I added one more line early morning to reduce flapping, also tied to the bike.
Just one peg flew out, making the whole thing flap very loudly and no good for a photo, I couldn't find the errant peg, and it was nearly time to go home anyway so I just packed it all up...
Verena

Post by Verena »

Johnallan wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:36 pm Beltin' :-bd
If that pot could talk I bet it could tell a few tales!
It's actually quite a new pot, but it looks like this cos BenP "made me" put it in the fire at the winter event :cool:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Ere Reg, your Feb bivvy spot is on the telly! Some dude on a canal boat going across the Aqueduct - I recognised the bit of grass you pitched on :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

fatbikephil wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:39 pm Ere Reg, your Feb bivvy spot is on the telly! Some dude on a canal boat going across the Aqueduct - I recognised the bit of grass you pitched on :-bd
:grin: stealthy spot eh?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Rob S

Post by Rob S »

RIP wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:46 pm
fatbikephil wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:39 pm Ere Reg, your Feb bivvy spot is on the telly! Some dude on a canal boat going across the Aqueduct - I recognised the bit of grass you pitched on :-bd
:grin: stealthy spot eh?
We chugged past the same spot years ago. You can't beat a narrow boat holiday.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Half packed for a couple of nights out from tomorrow, not really feeling it right now though lol
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I was thinking Thursday night, but a bit concerned that the forecast was 50mph gusts at 7am Friday. That was then revised to 70mph for my chosen location. Just west of my spot in Freshwater they are now saying 115mph by 10am Friday :o might leave it until after the storm has past :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've just looked at the weather forecast in the hope of a weather window between now and the end of the month ... next Sat would appear to be it :shock:
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:10 pm I've just looked at the weather forecast in the hope of a weather window between now and the end of the month ... next Sat would appear to be it :shock:
Yeah, I've been through much the same process and reached much the same conclusion!
RIP

Post by RIP »

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:52 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:10 pm I've just looked at the weather forecast in the hope of a weather window between now and the end of the month ... next Sat would appear to be it :shock:
Yeah, I've been through much the same process and reached much the same conclusion!
The, er, 1st was perfect :smile: . I don't suppose it's a leap year is it, just to extend your options slightly? I'll get my proverbial upper body weatherproof garment.....

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I'm feeling smug that I got mine in on a relatively calm night....
Cue getting blown off the hillside in March....
RIP

Post by RIP »

I think there's probably a certain elemental satisfaction to be obtained from being out there in 100mph winds.

But, er, I'm a bit busy at the moment as it happens. Otherwise occupied. You know how it is. Would love to obviously but.

Best I can manage is 50-60mph. Once under a tarp near Stoke On Trent and once in a toilet block near Borth. Top quality japes both of them to be fair.

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

With the number of days I'm free that coincide with calm weather rapidly diminishing I thought I should get out whilst I could. If I do a 'school night' bivi it's usually a Thursday as I think of Fridays as a wind-down for the weekend so I can take it easy the next day, but actually I sleep well enough not to have to worry about the next day.

Didn't take long to pack and headed out after dinner. Not long after heading out I wondered if I'd packed too easily, surely I must have forgotten something, stopped to check I had the right bivi as I have 2 black ones and they look very similar when rolled up, a Hunka and a MYOG. I needed the MYOG as it's bigger. I've taken the wrong one before so didn't want a repeat of that. An hour and a half ride saw me at the chosen woods.

Every time I've been here previously the gate has been locked but there's a pedestrian sized gap at the side. This time the gate is wide open, so I wonder what I'll find. There is a house located close to the entrance and as I ride past I spot (and hear) a large generator outside. Looks like the power lines were taken out in the storm. I guess the gate has ben left open so SSE can get in to check on it.

I've decided to resurrect my bivi-explorer challenge (sleeping in each of the 10k x 10k grid squares on the Island) so once at a nice spot I checked I was the right side of the grid line, not quite so I decide to move but despite there being plenty of pine forest available the undergrowth at the side of the track is impenetrable and it looks pretty overgrown in the trees, so I head back to the first choice. I'll have to get the other square another day.

I can just hear the generator in the distance but half a mile of woods drowns out most of it. Soon tucked up in my bag with a nice view of the sky as the trees are a bit spread out. I'm close to a pine as the ground was flattest right next to it. I wake in the morning and it's still dark, look at my watch to see how many more hours of peaceful slumber I have left.... it's 05:45 so only 15 minutes more :sad: Getting up in the morning is the worst bit of bivying. Soon dressed, no point delaying it, and take the standard photo of the spot for proof.

I have a new thermomiter so check the temps, it's a cool 4 deg and the low was 3 degrees. I was only just warm enough but I should have been toasty with the kit taken :???:

As I ride out of the wooded bit I notice there's quite a frost on the open areas so the trees have helped keep the worst off. It's under 10 miles to work so in no time at all I'm hanging my bivi up in the bike shed/archive to air out the condensation and draping my mat and sleeping bag about in the office :lol:

Image[

That's 2/2 for me and Ralph and I think 25 in a row.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

February's bivvy-a-month was Monday night, as I took advantage of a break in the seemingly endless sequence of storms. A late night snack of chocolate and whisky and I snuggled into my bag with stars twinkling through the tree canopy as I drifted off, but not before raising a birthday toast in Reg's general direction.
Pics here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CaSpj44skGE/
It wasn't a particularly intrepid ride out, but it was a great mental escape, the gentle breeze across my face carrying away some of the tension that's been sitting with me.
Hot chocolate in my flask was still just about warm enough to be drinkable. I packed quickly, and was back off down the hill and home in time for the school run. There was a nice sunrise, which I failed to take a picture of, so here's a picture of the morning's rainbow instead:

2022 BAM 2/12
2022 total bivvies 2
Current streak (months) 39
RIP

Post by RIP »

Nice one chaps.

I bust my max-min thermometer a while ago and was thinking of getting another one. Could you point me in the direction of where you got yours please Sean? Looks quite dinky.

Having said that, do I actually care what the temperature was on a bivvy any more? I don't care how far I've been or how fast or what my heartrate was, so I dunno why I'm bothered recording the temp either, but it just seems an interesting thing to know :smile:. Presumably no mercury in that one, so wonder how it works. Beamed in from the Met Office or summat?

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

RIP wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:09 pm Could you point me in the direction of where you got yours please Sean? Looks quite dinky.
I did wonder if I should have posted a picture as I was afraid someone would ask :roll: It's from the USA but they want $35 postage so I had to get a friend over there to buy it and send it to me as a gift, which in the end it was as they wouldn't let me pay for it. I'm sure you must know someone in the US, so link is below

https://www.thermoworks.com/thermodrop/
RIP

Post by RIP »

sean_iow wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:59 pm
RIP wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:09 pm Could you point me in the direction of where you got yours please Sean? Looks quite dinky.
I did wonder if I should have posted a picture as I was afraid someone would ask :roll:
Nah, you knew someone would :smile: . And probably who :smile: .
It's from the USA but they want $35 postage so I had to get a friend over there to buy it and send it to me as a gift, which in the end it was as they wouldn't let me pay for it. I'm sure you must know someone in the US, so link is below

https://www.thermoworks.com/thermodrop/
Ah. Thanks Sean. Maybe I'll just my leave my water bottle out overnight then and if it's frozen by the morning I'll know it's been, er, well, freezing :smile: .

benp1

Post by benp1 »

I'm after something small and easy to read for temperatures too. Plenty of bluetooth devices but wanted something more old fashioned.

This is the best I've found but it doesn't have a min/max reading - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07KMMJPCZ/ ... k_detail_5
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

My Garmin Edge 530 has a thermometer built in. No min-max function though. I can see what it has recorded during any activity but if I wanted overnight temperatures I'd have to leave it switched on.

I also have a Garmin Tempe for when I'm using my Oregon or my watch. Same constraints though.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Max min: https://www.cyinxping.com/index.php?mai ... _id=415132

Not tiny unfortunately. But it does have a probe thingy, in case you fancied, um, probing something.

Old fashioned, dinky, but not max/min :sad: https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/produ ... c0Q9pwGCAc

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

RIP wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:36 pm Max min: https://www.cyinxping.com/index.php?mai ... _id=415132
I don't think that's max-min in the way most folk think, not if still needs to be operated to take a reading. I'd have thought most were looking for something that would record at regular intervals overnight. (or maybe that's just me).

I think the value of a thermometer is in gauging how "comfy" ones sleeping kit is in respect of the temperature.