Bivvy a month 2014 thread.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Bivvy a month 2014 thread.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

3/3 for me ... details later. I too used the end af the month/start of the month principle.
May the bridges you burn light your way
composite

Post by composite »

s8tannorm wrote:3/3 for me ... details later. I too used the end af the month/start of the month principle.
Is this really entering into the spirit of the challenge?? :wink:
Mike

Post by Mike »

Yeap :grin: 5/3 for me. A 2 in 1 hit for me also with stu,although to tired at the mo to even think about it just sat in Morrisons in Newtown eating a breakfast n trying not to fall asleep. Ill edit later n put some pics up.
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

I had my first bikepacking night away of the year Saturday night. Only local, to the Pentland Hills, just to test some new gear, Wild Country Zehpyros 1 tent and Rab Ascent 500 bag (which performed a treat).
There was 6mm of snowy rain forecast overnight. The sound of the weather on the tent became louder around midnight so I got up for a nosey and was surprised to see that so much snow had settled. A very quick visit to the Gents and then back into my cocoon.

http://jampears.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/ ... -2014.html

ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I just sneaked in on the 28th to make it 3/2 for this year.

Quite obviously going out to bivy on a February night only counts for February. It doesn't matter what month you wake up in! ;-)

This one was without bike, a short stroll along to the mam tor, saw a few of the high peak marathon teams come past in the morning, which was my plan.

It was a lovely night, no clouds, and a bit of a green tinge to the northern sky. Northern lights? Maybe, but not conclusively so.

Ice on the tarp in the morning too!

No fixed plans for march yet, but will be heading to Scotland for a few nights in April...
Nick

Post by Nick »

Me n slacker headed out on Friday night across Shropshire, so that's 2 out of 2 for him and 1 out of 2 for me.

bivvy, cycling20140301.jpg by nickgilling, on Flickr
slowupslowdown-under

Post by slowupslowdown-under »

looking to make it 3/3 on the Friday / weekend of 14th March - anyone interested in pushing out towards Rushup drop me a line!

Will have the new nemo gogo to play with so keen as mustard!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Aiming for my second bivi for march if anyone fancies joining in then ill be in the Lakes for this one however its on a Sunday night the 16th ( school night for most im guessing ) will be leaving from Ambleside prob around late arvo and heading upto bivi on the Parkamoor singletrack somewhere.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Yetiman wrote:Aiming for my second bivi for march if anyone fancies joining in then ill be in the Lakes for this one however its on a Sunday night the 16th ( school night for most im guessing ) will be leaving from Ambleside prob around late arvo and heading upto bivi on the Parkamoor singletrack somewhere.
Interested in this if it'd be ok if i tagged along, will only know nearer the time though.

I've got a good route out of Staveley south to Gunners How thats not too exposed if the weather's bad.
Could poss find the gpx if you're interested..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Mike

Post by Mike »

wotsits, cool ive not decided on route anyhow yet but it wont be a massive one this time. Send ur gpx via mjc_226@yahoo.co.uk and ill take a look this evening sometime
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Heading out for another local one tonight. We've had some beautiful starry skies for the past couple of nights, so fingers crossed it'll be a good one.
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

With the weather warming up, I suggested a bivvy tonight on the IOW. Was turned down as Mr faraway said he wasn't prepared? How prepared do we have to be? So, if anyone fancies a bivvy down in the sunny south, let me know, as I know he will definitely have to do it then. 2 months have already passed since our last night under the stars. He's trying to distract me with a sail on the Solent tomorrow and the offer of a night out for dinner, but it's a bivvy that would really do it for me.

HELP!
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Great little trip last night. Amazing sky, surprisingly good trails and a gourmet supper next to a hilltop graveyyard :???: . That's March ticked off.
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Charliecres wrote:Great little trip last night. Amazing sky, surprisingly good trails and a gourmet supper next to a hilltop graveyyard :???: . That's March ticked off.
Where'd you go Charlie?
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

St Martha's, near Guildford. Not very wild :oops:
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Just booked the sleeper train to Achnashellach for four days of riding and camping around Torridon and Loch Maree in May. Praying for that sweet spot between rain and midges. I am properly excited. :grin:
Mike

Post by Mike »

Got a cheeky two nighter out in the bivy bags with AW this weekend up in the Y Dales.
The first night we rode for a couple of hours in the dark then managed to find a spot that was ok by a wall to shelter from the wind.
the next morning we headed up and across to Dent for a well earned breaky!
Dont think i told AW that there are some big hills to climb when i planned the trip :wink:
Our last night found us at Semer water, i knew this was a good bet as Chew and I had stayed once before, however someone had beat us to the spot so we found another nearby which was proper windy through the night but the tarp held out.
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

It was 3/3 for me - and a great trip it was too. :-)
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Yetiman wrote: Image
That's one cracking photo
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

It really is. Fabulous.
slowupslowdown-under

Post by slowupslowdown-under »

yes, great photo
FLV

Post by FLV »

does camping on a camp site count :oops:

probably not right?

*in my defence, It work nights, and I need the showers. Better than a b&b
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

March bivy done this week. A fairly leisurely one this time!

Left work, called at friends house, rode the parkwood spring decent (he lives nearly opposite so seems rude not to really!) out along rivlin valley trails, got as far as sportsman pub in lodgemoor before stopping for food and three pints.

Bivy on stanage, clear night beautiful stars, stunning inversion in the morning. Bit of riding, all day breakfast at woodbine cafe sat in the sun, more surprisingly dry trails, steady ride home in the sun.

One of the best days out for ages :)
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

3/3.Got train to Todmorden and picked up Mary Towneley Loop riding to Hurstwood reservoir. Suddenly bikes and walker appeared at my 'quiet' spot. Following day continued on my way but dropped to Hebden Bridge and down vallet to pick up PBW riding to Roych Clough. Yesterday was 95km and 2,000m of climb and it was a tough start today. Once I hit HPT I was feeling a bit tired and decided to head straight to Cromford and pick up train. 200km and 3,500m climb in 49 hours.

My plan was to do a few double nights out so pleased to get one in early this year. Might pop out for an overnighter next week if weather holds and finish February's ride to my satisfaction.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Well chuffed I've made it 3/3, I was looking at the first 3 being the toughest but I've really enjoyed them.
Managed a pootle around Beddgelert Forestry, North Wales for this one with potential views of Snowdon (4 mile away) but the cloud made an appearance so it wasn't to be.

Some pics:

Yes I know I need to sort out a seatpost pack but these straps are hanging on!!

BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos