BB200 Route.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

littlegirlbunny

Re: BB200 Route.

Post by littlegirlbunny »

I have no idea wtf is going on at 190 kms

The route doesn't overlay the OS map even closely, so I am assuming (probably mistakenly) this is deliberate. However, neither is it overlaying the obvious grassy tracks on the satellite.

I am struggling whether to a) take responsible action and follow the PRoW b) follow the GPX route blindly or c) redraw to the obvious grassy tracks.

I'm assuming b is the only option that is in the spirit of the event? :???:

We are going to suffer horridly aren't we :shock: :mrgreen:
Chew

Post by Chew »

I wouldn't worry too much about navigating the last 15k in daylight as it's fairly obvious on the ground when you get there. Nighttime will be different :wink:

Often Google Earth, OS maps and reality don't always triangulate, so as long as you follow the spirt of the route everything's fine.

One thing I would stay, as a note of caution, for anyone finishing in the dark, take extra care in the last 1km when on the A470 near Llanbrymair. You'll be tired, be glad you've nearly finished and maybe your brain won't be 100%. Any cars on that road won't be going slow and won't be expecting to see cyclists at 4am when they're driving back from the pub.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Chew wrote: Often Google Earth, OS maps and reality don't always triangulate, so as long as you follow the spirt of the route everything's fine.
I'm just assuming the GPX file is from a ridden track and is therefore more accurate than the mapping.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm just assuming the GPX file is from a ridden track and is therefore more accurate than the mapping.
This. The obvious (well, slightly more obvious) track on the ground is different to the RoW as shown on the map ... follow whichever you like.
May the bridges you burn light your way
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Is there anything apart from the The Red Lion( Not open till 11am) in Trefeglys. And just checking is Llandinam Post Office now closed as the internet claims? If so is there anything else there? If not is there anything before Felindre?

Many thanks

d
Chew

Post by Chew »

If you need to stop in either Trefeglys or Llandinum then you'll be in trouble :wink:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Chew wrote:If you need to stop in either Trefeglys or Llandinum then you'll be in trouble :wink:
I was thinking tumbleweed until I looked where they are on the route. :roll: I don't know the area that well but would say that the only places on-route that you could rely on resupply are Knighton and Llanidloes.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

do many people do the ride non-stop?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I was thinking tumbleweed until I looked where they are on the route. :roll: I don't know the area that well but would say that the only places on-route that you could rely on resupply are Knighton and Llanidloes.
Knighton should be okay regardless of pace. If you're at the pointy end, Llanidloes might well be 'shut' when you get there but the Spar will be open from 7 or 8 on Sun morning.
do many people do the ride non-stop?
Varies every year. Some don't plan to but do, others plan to but don't.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Is there a recommended take away /chip shop en-route?
Somewhere people unofficially seem to regroup.
evilgoat

Post by evilgoat »

I know I'm not riding but please can I see the route? Just out of interest!

Cheers!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

evilgoat wrote:I know I'm not riding but please can I see the route? Just out of interest!

Cheers!
From the first post -
One last thing, please don't put the gpx file into the public domain until after next weekend, thank you ... I'd hate for you all to get mobbed by groupies
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:, Llanidloes might well be 'shut' when you get there but the Spar will be open from 7 or 8 on Sun morning.
This fish and chip shop in Llanidloes appears to close at 9pm on Saturday.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restauran ... Wales.html

Don't think I'll be using that then :lol:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Zippy wrote:
Bearbonesnorm wrote:, Llanidloes might well be 'shut' when you get there but the Spar will be open from 7 or 8 on Sun morning.
This fish and chip shop in Llanidloes appears to close at 9pm on Saturday.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restauran ... Wales.html

Don't think I'll be using that then :lol:
the Coop is open 6am-10pm. Is the Texaco 24 hours?
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Chew wrote:If you need to stop in either Trefeglys or Llandinum then you'll be in trouble :wink:
I wanted to try and not take much food, just buy stuff as I went this time. Might have to rethink that plan.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is the Texaco 24 hours?
No
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Is the Texaco 24 hours?
No
I would have been surprised TBH! Getting to the Coop before 10pm could be a fun thing to try :shock:

Or stocking up in Knighton maybe a more sensible option...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Or stocking up in Knighton maybe a more sensible option...
I would predict a general slowing down from Knighton onwards with no options for the next 60k or so, so getting something to eat plus supplies would certainly be my plan.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Has the Co-op in Llanidloes extended its hours then? It was at least 8am on the Sunday of the winter event this year.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

whitestone wrote:Has the Co-op in Llanidloes extended its hours then? It was at least 8am on the Sunday of the winter event this year.

I'm only going off what google said earlier, but I was forgetting it will be sunday! :oops: so it'll be 10am (according to the interweb...)
Bard

Post by Bard »

The SPAR in Llanidloes is open 7am-11pm every day (according to t'internet)
littlegirlbunny

Post by littlegirlbunny »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
This. The obvious (well, slightly more obvious) track on the ground is different to the RoW as shown on the map ... follow whichever you like.

It is? Oh who knew you could ride in such straight lines ;)

I plan to ride straight through but I forsee already a collapse-in-bivi-shoes-n-all in the middle.of a forest somewhere about 190 kms when brain is on meltdown and things get complicated. ;)
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Bard wrote:The SPAR in Llanidloes is open 7am-11pm every day (according to t'internet)
Super, thankyou! :-bd (no idea how achievable 11pm is....but with an 8am start I guess we could find out as it will require an average of just over 10km/h...).
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It is? Oh who knew you could ride in such straight lines
Okay, you've got me ... the line you have is traced from an actual gpx. Sadly the gpx woudn't stitch to the rest of the route, however I assure you the line you have is much nearer to something on the ground than what the map indicates ... next time, I'll just plot the BW and let you fend for yourselves :roll: :wink:
Mike

Post by Mike »

That line looks about right to me stu, or is that because I know the trail at that point? Anyhow it's pretty obvious when uve gone around the corner on the fire Rd I'd say. Just look for the uphill and ur there :-bd

Can't wait now and the weather is looking pretty damn fine at the mo