waterproof jacket suggestions?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

HaYWiRe

waterproof jacket suggestions?

Post by HaYWiRe »

I'm after a decent waterproof, but unlike the other topic I'm not after an ultralight packaway for just in case.

After clearing out my wardrobe and realising that out of the 14 jackets I own the closest I have to actually being waterproof is leather! Plenty of shower proof, rain resistant, Softshell, windbreakers. Nothing truly designed for the wet.

What are your suggestions for "one jacket to rule them all" hardshells? Something suited for multisports, slim cut, good waterproof/breathable stats and upto daily wear as a main jacket?

Ive looked at the alpkit gravitas and has great stats but the sudden price hike has put me off. Now its in the range of better known brands. I like the looks of Montane stuff as I own a few of their bottoms already but cant tell the "waterproof" from the "water resistant" in their range.

Budget is important but i really don't mind as long as it'll do its job and last, buy once, buy right is my thinking this time.
Ofcourse it'll still take a lottery win before I start considering Arcteryx :lol:
ianfitz

Re: waterproof jacket suggestions?

Post by ianfitz »

The gravitas is good. Not sure it would be my choice for Scottish winter but for everything else I think it'll do the job.

That is a big increase though. Mind you that's going to be increasingly typical in the post brexit uk!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Define multisports! Jackets have different cuts depending on the sport - a climber's jacket will allow the arms to be lifted without pulling on the lower back for example whereas a cycling top has a longer back to allow for being bent over - this would get in the way of a harness if used for climbing. Obviously you *can* use a jacket cross sports so long you accept the limitations.

Like you I've collected rather a lot of jackets over the years, lightweight ones are fine for summer use but really don't cut it in cooler temps or winter when their light material gets pressed up against you. My current heavy duty cycling one is an Endura MT500 https://www.evanscycles.com/endura-mt50 ... t-EV243627 Not cheap but me and damp don't get on. I used it pretty well every day in Iceland including walking round Reykjavik but TBH nothing outdoorsy looks out of place there.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

Well I suppose it'll have to be the sports I actually do, while I'd love to try climbing its a whole other hobby full of equipment so my main needs are: Cycling, hiking, running and every day use. Though my idea of hiking is quite a bit more "acrobatic" than your average rambler, a cross over from my Parkour days :lol:

Maybe this is where the sales buzz word "adventure" comes in :wink:

Cold and wet weather isn't my biggest concern, hot and wet is, so finding something breathable without sacrificing waterproofing is my worry.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

An umbrella! :lol:

Seriously, once you start exerting and creating a lot of sweat then every "breathable" fabric will struggle - they'll be much better than non-breathable fabrics but there'll still be significant dampness on your inner layers. The best I've found is the Buffalo/Paramor system but for me it's only really suitable once you get to around freezing as it's so warm. Not sure if they do lighter jackets these days. It's a different way of thinking about the problem so you need to forget about how the "breathable" stuff works (or is claimed to work).
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I have one of these. It's survived any rain thrown at it and I've not gotten to hot in it either on the bike or running. It also gets used for walking etc anything out doors in bad weather. I liked it so much I bought a 2nd one. Price is good too. It will partner with the new lightweight berghaus. That will come with me when it's dry and the decathlon when it's wet or forecast wet.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/700-membrane ... 43741.html
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I definitely need to get me another one for putting on when I'm going to be out in potentially REALLY nasty weather. Really not sure which way to go though.

I rated my Altura Mayhem (before it fell off the back of my bike), so maybe something like that would be the way to go.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've had a Montane Atomic for a few years and it's always kept me dry. I've worn it walking, running and on the bike. Mine is an Atomic DT but looks very similar to the current version. The current version is this

https://www.montane.co.uk/mens-c1/cloth ... jacket-p99

If I'm in the mountains in winter I wear a Rab in eVent fabric, had that even longer. It's a bit more durable but mainly the larger cut enables me to get more insulation on under it if required.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

I would thoroughly recommend new British Company Jottnar. Arcteryx quality at 'normal' (Rab, ME, etc) prices, as you're not paying for a massive marketing budget, or the lousy exchange rate. And the people behind it really know the environment they are designing for. Noeshell fabric as breathable as it gets for a fully waterproof material. I certainly love my Hymer smock, which has replaced both my paclite and heavier winter pro-shell.
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

For summer use I use a Torrentshell Smock from Patagonia which is light packable and waterproof ( theyve gotan alpine M10 version which is lighter) or a Solomon Bonatti Jacket which is great as a very light just in case jacket. For longer trips with should stay at home forecasts Ive got a Sherpa Lakpa Rita Jacket in eVent which was a gift and something i was a bit skeptical of - at first. Basically its a bombproof jacket thats light, got a great helmet compatible hood, and a good cut that doesn't flap about.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Paramo Quito - a bit warm but you can leave out a mid layer so the extra weight isn't too much an issue. Totally waterprrof and the most breathable I've ever used - put it on over wet kit in the rain and after an hour you'll be dry inside. Also repairable and re-waterproofable. And to cap it all they are a pretty ethical company to boot. Sport Pursuit have some bargains
notinabox

Post by notinabox »

Been very impressed with my endura stealth 2 Jacket. The one with external weld seams.

Also my Showers pass Elite 2 gore jacket.
The noise goes quiet when I'm on my bike :)
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

htrider wrote:Paramo Quito - a bit warm but you can leave out a mid layer so the extra weight isn't too much an issue. Totally waterprrof and the most breathable I've ever used - put it on over wet kit in the rain and after an hour you'll be dry inside. Also repairable and re-waterproofable. And to cap it all they are a pretty ethical company to boot. Sport Pursuit have some bargains
I am interested in Paramo gear and am tempted by a Velez as a winter smock.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Dave Barter wrote:
htrider wrote:Paramo Quito - a bit warm but you can leave out a mid layer so the extra weight isn't too much an issue. Totally waterprrof and the most breathable I've ever used - put it on over wet kit in the rain and after an hour you'll be dry inside. Also repairable and re-waterproofable. And to cap it all they are a pretty ethical company to boot. Sport Pursuit have some bargains
Dave,

I've the Velez smock (I think it's that one, long time since I bought it), brilliant for Scottish winter climbing. In most UK conditions you only need to wear a thin thermal under it.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Rab Demand eVent Smock

Best jacket ever!! Absolute brilliance

Sadly no longer made :roll:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

OMM Phantom Hoody is proving good at the moment. So far, the lack of zips or pockets haven't proved to be a problem but if you want venting options, you might be better with the smock or jacket.
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

"Absolute brilliance " - seconded. Mine's hermetically sealed in the wardrobe. I daren't use it in case I damage it. Erm. Hence the new hyper-ziga-ultra-pico-femto-atto-zepto-yocto-condom I suppose. Hardly nuclear-fallout-proof like the Demand though of course.

"Reg"
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

whitestone wrote:
Dave Barter wrote:
Dave,

I've the Velez smock (I think it's that one, long time since I bought it), brilliant for Scottish winter climbing. In most UK conditions you only need to wear a thin thermal under it.
I have a Paramo Enduro jacket - I blinkin' love it. Waterproof (in the Paramo way, if you lie against a puddle you'll get wet), but soo breathable, comfortable - it is warm, so I only use it over winter, but wouldn't use anything else which I find a bit boil in the bag. And like whitestone says, put it over wet kit - it works and you're stuff dries under it - impressibly quick.
My first try of Paramo was a bit "hmm, I don't get this", but actually use it for some activities and it makes total sense. I'm an advocate.
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

Just ordered one of these, down from £120. An extra 20% off with discount code INTROAW16:

http://www.dare2b.com/reverence-waterpr ... -0-16.html
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Any of these particular good for use with a pack on?
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I find my paramo jacket pretty warm

It's the third element jacket which has long sleeves and converts into a gilet too. Would be good on the bike but would also have to be pretty damn cold to be wearing it. It's good for walking when the energy output is lower
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Anything more than a shower my go to jacket is the columbia titanium outdry jacket
Just over a ton, folds down to an ok size, plenty of zips to help vent and you never need to re proof it.
Waterproofs are great until after the 2nd or 3rd wash and their DWR needs replacing and they are never as good again. So I've found anyway.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

whitestone wrote:
Dave Barter wrote:
Dave,

My pal Iona got the velez lite and used it for yonks. Eventually the back panel wore through (from rucksack use) so she sent it back and for £65 they put a new back panel in, fixed a few other rips and re-waterproofed it. It works as good as it did new.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

benp1 wrote:I find my paramo jacket pretty warm
Yeah, mine comes out below 4 degrees C to be honest, anything above that is covered by more "conventional" clothing choices. I seem to run pretty warm though, it has to be exceptionally wet for me to warrant wearing my gore-tex paclite shell, although that's getting on a bit now.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Anyone got any thoughts on any of these?

Endura MT500 II - http://www.endurasport.com/products/?ProductID=679
Altura FIVE/40 - http://www.altura.eu/products/detail/AL22FIV?ng=55
Paramo Pasco - http://www.paramo-clothing.com/en-gb/ex ... 3344F51C65
Showers Pass Refuge - https://www.showerspass.com/products/refuge-jacket

I appreciate they're all on the heavy duty side, but I want something that's no messing about waterproof, with a bit of rugged thrown in.