WildcatGear Lion on Rd bike/bars/slim forks

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

WildcatGear Lion on Rd bike/bars/slim forks

Post by redefined_cycles »

As per title. I am now the fortunate owner of a WildCat Lion front harness. Bought it for eventually using on my Cannondal mtb for bikepacking duties. But is there a way of stabilising it on my road bike. Main problem I can see is that the road forks are slim so the crown doesnt really have any substantial horizontal sections for the harness to grip down onto before wrapping it back towards the bars.

Hope that makes sense...any ideas??
Dan_K

Re: WildcatGear Lion on Rd bike/bars/slim forks

Post by Dan_K »

I've found for road bars, straps are sufficient. The lioness just doesn't sit right but I don't feel I really need it.
redefined_cycles

Thanks for that Dan. So just tuck the extra straps that wrap mtb forks out of the way? Will do mate...
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

redefined_cycles wrote:Thanks for that Dan. So just tuck the extra straps that wrap mtb forks out of the way? Will do mate...
No, I mean that I don't use it with road bars at all, although you could try your suggestion!
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Have you tried it on your road bike before posting?
I have no problems fitting and using it on my drop bars and narrow (ish) Lauf Grit fork crown.
redefined_cycles

JohnClimber wrote:Have you tried it on your road bike before posting?
I have no problems fitting and using it on my drop bars and narrow (ish) Lauf Grit fork crown.
Haha. John. You're a genius mate. The thought had crossed my mind very briefly but then an angry missus pointing at an unfinished fence got in the way (ever so slightly). Just done the gate thought so i think i deserve a ride...
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

I had the same wonder with my road bike (genesis equilibrium) as there's not much space at the fork crown, did think I could put a couple of cable ties through the fork and attach the webbing to them , but as Dan_K says it might be enough just to directly strap a dry bag to the bars without the harness. Obviously there's not the bouncing around on-road that you'd need to control off-road.
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

I dont own a wildcat but my own harness mounts the same way, only problem I have is tyre clearance.

The fork "crown" is very slim but still has enough room for 25mm wide webbing.

My issue was since switching to 28c tyres my bike doesn't have enough room between the tyre and crown for the webbing, 25s rubbed occasionally and 28s just wont spin. Very tight tolerances as it is.

Just something else to bear in mind.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Yup 28mm tyres here.