Appetite for another alt- bar

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

evilgoat

Appetite for another alt- bar

Post by evilgoat »

I'm going to post this here first to gauge a little bit of interest, I hope this doesn't upset anyone, it's not an advert more research.

Would there be any interest in another alt bar with these attributes: wider than (the widest) jones and salsa bend 2, but with a sweep angle somewhere in-between.

I'm not posting specs just value your thoughts. It's something I want, but i was wondering if I'm unique in that respect or if others may be interested as well?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Appetite for another alt- bar

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

My first thought is - do we really need a bar any wider? I know fashion dictates but most people aren't 6'4" with a 50" chest, so look like Jesus crucified riding with 760mm bars :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

That sounds like a stooge moto to me?
Grubby little urchin.
Chew

Post by Chew »

The Jones are plenty wide enough. No need for anything wider, although sometimes I think they may have a bit too much sweep at times.

Isnt something in between On-Ones OG bar?
evilgoat

Post by evilgoat »

so I guess Stu's not interested! ;-)

I've looked at the stooge moto - they're very wide. I don't want to go that far, also they have lots of rise and only 17deg sweep.

my thinking is I want a slightly wider bend 2 but with more sweep.
evilgoat

Post by evilgoat »

OG's seem very similar to Bend 2's.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Unless your mr moto-x on a bike I think a wider bar needs more sweep as your arms move in an arc and wrist to forearm angle is only truly relaxed and comfy in a small range.
I'd to try like something ~740mm (I'd trim it but many wouldn't) with 25 ish degree sweep, but that means a long stem or an M-bar shape and M-bars scare off many riders : )
A TW supplier has something close that I've got a sample of, after doing 80 miles on road on a std flat bar last weekend I'm very keen to try it..
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

so I guess Stu's not interested! ;-)
It's not that I'm not interested, I'm pretty interested in everything :wink:

I'm running a pair of Ti bars at the moment - flat with a (roughly) 25 degree backsweep and 740mm wide. They're very comfortable which I'm sure is also helped by the fact they're 25.4mm. I'd be happier with 40mm cut off them but even when much taller people than me ride them, they generally comment on how wide they feel. It just seems that things have got a little out of hand when trail centres are removing trees to enable people to ride there :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I've been running 800 wide bars on my bikes for a while and I really like the amount of control they give through rough stuff. Works particularly well on the fat bike. I have been accused of having apelike arms however....

Got a pair of stooge bars and they are really good - the sweep makes them much more comfortable than the spank spikes I have been using.

Currently playing around with a set of borrowed h-bars just now and my thoughts are that having them wider and less sweep would be my ideal set up. So the same tube length just a 25 - 30 degree sweep and around half an inch wider each side. Tempting to get a pipe bender and some stainless tubing and have a go at my own.
atk

Post by atk »

I messaged Torus about a custom bar, they can get them made if you're prepared to "design" them. In this case it was going to be ~760mm (suggested 720 but they said it would wider and I could cut myself) and with a 23deg bend, OS clamp and they asked me to specify the width of the straight section I think.

Think they were going to bundle this in when they do an order of their stock bars so guess it depends where you are in that cycle for the order time. This all got put on hold though as moving house took priority and I need to email Stu/DrJon about the Seven bars I had for a while to check my measurements. Hopefully pick it up again in the next month or two...