Welsh Coast to Coast

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Chew

Welsh Coast to Coast

Post by Chew »

Planning on riding a Welsh coast to coast if anyones interested in joining me?

Thinking of following the route that Ian did last year, and feel it'll take me 5/6 days without doing silly mileage.

Not decided which week yet, but thinking of the final weeks in August. Hopefully i can bring some of the sunshine i found in Scotland :P
Mike

Re: Welsh Coast to Coast

Post by Mike »

chew, i did nant y arian trail centre to prestatyn last month took me four days with some long hrs in saddle as mainly all off road. Id be well up for joinin u on the southern half, i work shifts so get four days off so i could possibly meet u somewhere into it if thats anygood?? Ill keep my eye on ya thread ;)
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I'll be in the southern half of wales at the end of august so might tag along for a day ride if the dates match.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If you're thinking mid week then I might be able to sqeeze in the northern half (or maybe the lot but it'll depend).
May the bridges you burn light your way
Chew

Post by Chew »

Only started thinking about it over the weekend, so not got anything planned as yet, but it will probably involve midweek riding.

I'm flexible on either the last 2 weeks of August, so i was just going to pick a start date based on when i could get the bike on the train an it not cost a fortune.

Ians route is about 250 miles so 5/6 days seems more than comfortable, and i'm more than happy to do another route or alter it if that suits others?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

20th-24th would suit me best but I'll try and fit in with whatever.
Chew

Post by Chew »

s8tannorm wrote:20th-24th would suit me best but I'll try and fit in with whatever.
That week works for me as well. Just need to work out the logisics of where to leave the car and catching the train to the start
Mike

Post by Mike »

I can only make 23rd -27th my four days off so ill just keep an eye on the thread and hopefully i can get atleast two days in. 250 over 5 days will be nice, my trip was over two days and two half days either side so 3 full days if you like and i managed to ride 198 miles - can recommend the route to you to do at somepoint really enjoyable as it takes in the three trail centres also which breaks up the xc for a bit.

Happy riding everyone ( or should that be swimming ?) Is anyone else getting pi$"ed off with the rain now???
Chew

Post by Chew »

Stu - Still interested in the full week?

Looking to get some train tickets booked this weekend while the prices are reasonable, and then i can leave the car at home.

Yeti - Recon i might be passing through LLanwrtyd Wells on the wednesday night/thursday morning (assuming a monday start) if you want to join us on the two days to the end? (assuming Stu's still up for all of the trip).
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Stu - Still interested in the full week?
Won't be able to do a full week but I can do north - south and jump ship in the middle. Could start 20th or 21st or whatever suits.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Train tickets booked now, and i'll be arriving in Colwyn Bay on the 20th at 9:45, then just need to make it down to Swansea for Saturday.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Train tickets booked now, and i'll be arriving in Colwyn Bay on the 20th at 9:45,
Where will you be at 9.45 ... more specific than Colwyn Bay ;)
Chew

Post by Chew »

The train station ;)

Sure there must be a cafe near to get a brew before the off?
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

This sounds like fun and I have A few days off that week. If I start with you on Monday where do you think you will be by Wednesday as would need to catch a train out.

Also what sort of distance will you be averaging ? Not that quick or fit I'm afraid :oops:
Chew

Post by Chew »

The more the merrier.

I'm no racing wippet, so it'll be more steady than racey. Daily distance will be around 50 miles but that will be spread over the whole day, and i'm sure there will be stops for tea and cake.

I've no real plan, its more fun to make it up along the way, but I recon it'll take about 2 days to ride from Colwyn to Mach and then you could catch a train from there, either tuesday night/Wednesday morning. Also passing Llanwrtyd Wells as well, but thats likely to be sometime on the thursday.
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

Sounds good. Hoping I might wangle an extended pass until Thursday so Lllanwrtyd sounds a good bail out point, but will need see what time we might hit there as trains back to my neck of the woods arent very regular.

Are you planning to catch the Chester to Colwyn train? If so I will be on same one, gets in at 9.43.

Also be good to see the route if you have scetched/mapped it out? If not I m happy to follow blindly along :D

email is brothersmith101 AT gmail DOT com
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

Scratch that. Work just rained on my paraid and booked a meeting in for me Wed morning. Grrrr :x

Im stil up for it just need to work out which half of the route is easiest for trains. Where do you reckon you will be Wed Night?
Chew

Post by Chew »

thats not good :cry:

Just sent through the gpx file, but i've not yet had a chance to go through it yet. Its a bit difficult to say where i might be on thursday, as depending on how fast ground conditions are, what the weathers like, to how far i'll get each day.

In my head its going to take me two days to get down to Mach, a further day and a half down to Llanwrtyd, then a day and a half down to Swansea
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

Cheers Chew got the route and emailed you back
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Chew can you email me a copy of the route please ... just want to way up my bailing options ;)
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Send it me please Chew.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You coming flatfishy?
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I'm in the area with the family so I may get a few hours to meet up and ride with you.
Just need to know where your going to be and when.
Ian

Post by Ian »

s8tannorm wrote:just want to way up my bailing options
:roll:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I don't even have the excuse that a smart phone made me do it ... very poor show, I'm sorry ;)