Multi tool preference and tool kit ideas

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

journeyman

Multi tool preference and tool kit ideas

Post by journeyman »

I took a teeny tiny Leatherman squirt on the HT550 and it looked great packed but really need a bigger pair of pliers which I know will be heavier but ultimately useable! Has anyone got a preference or good recommendation for the Leatherman or Gerber multitool options to suit a multi day trip? Im sorted for a bike specific multitool/chain breaker combo but any tool kit must have recommendations would be welcome
Moder-dye

Re: Multi tool preference and tool kit ideas

Post by Moder-dye »

I usually have a leatherman wave with me. The pliers,scissors and blade on it are pretty useful and the main reason I take it is I'd need pliers ( for changing breakpads if nothing else)anyway and a useful pair are the pretty much same size as the leatherman.

Just weighed it. 242g! Eek.
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

Never really considered pliers needed for cycling, I'm usually quite content with just my 2 hex keys and chain tool.
Still, if you need them ive got a few I use for other hobbies.

Carried a Gerber dime daily for 6 months, quite useful and very light but snapped during the only time I actually needed pliers, great for tweezers, not for actually clamping.

Gerber diesel is heavy but tough, by tough I mean utterly bombproof! I got mine after a recommendation from a friend whom carried one through 3 tours of afghan as an EOD op.
Used mine alot for 2 years now and the best multitool I own, but it is heavy and usually overkill. Only take it on longer trips or multisport adventures, or ofcourse for milsim.

Also used to own a Leatherman sidekick, very tough, heavy but superb knife. Got annoyed fast by the two hand opening pliers though. One hand knife works well but found myself choosing my dedicated knife most of the time.

Borrowed a Leatherman MUT on a few occasions which I liked, but far to heavy for its job. found the squirt too light and flimsy for most jobs but great as tweezers.
Juice looks a good middle ground but haven't used one myself.

Also owned a Swiss army with pliers, LM micra and credit card pliers also, neither that great.

What do you need the pliers for? Ive never really needed them biking and would probably want something lighter if I did. Like you said, heaver might actually mean more useable, I learnt that with the dime.

If you want a tool for life I cant recommended the Diesel enough.

...yeah, I have a problem ... :oops:
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

I had a once in a life time issue (long story) needing pliers and although the squirt helped it made me think for an extra few grams I could get a proper grip with a bigger leatherman. I got a hole burning in my pocket too so ill be posting some more questions about gear. I hear October is going to be stella weather so prepping for another trip....
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Tempted to grab pliers, simple knife and little folding scissors together and weigh them now.

Pliers for me for changing disk pads( straighten and bend split pin, extract pads), power link, and useful for any other grippy thing like cable adjusting.

Little scissors for cutting things like torn nail, tape/plasters, cable ties.

Knife for knifely things including cutting food/packets if needs be.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Luckily, so far, most of my tools and spares have gone untouched, just like first aid stuff. But I know I'd feel a fool if I didn't have them and needed them.

The one thing I have needed is forks, but obviously I didn't pack spares lol!
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Leatherman wave is what I carry on the bike

Better than the Juice, more usable and more robust but heavier

Swisstool is more robust but I prefer the one handed opening blades on the Wave and the bit holder which means I can use it as a torx or Allen key
Yorlin

Post by Yorlin »

Any strong opinions on the Leatherman Skeletool? It looks kinda funky.... :oops:
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I bought a Leatherman skeletool for my NZ trip as I wanted the pliers for changing disc pads. It has been fine but there is no scissors on the unit so I end up carrying my tiny Leatherman style as well.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I have a skeletool too (I have a knife and multitool problem, I have loads!)

Skeletool is a bit more gimmicky. Pliers aren't as strong, handle isn't as comfy, less tools, much lighter though and still has a bit holder

Leatherman mini tool is the smallest set of full pliers but unfortunately no longer for sale
Yorlin

Post by Yorlin »

Thanks!
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Having just re-read my last post, I probably did the Skeletool a misservice

The pliers aren't as good as the Wave but I'd say were better than the Juice. The jaws are beefier than the Juice, but the handles don't feel comfy enough to get any real leverage. I've found the Juice pliers to be up to most everyday tasks.

A locking knife, whilst not legal to carry without good reason, is handy if you need it. And I feel that I have good reason to justify a multitool on a bike and I've never been stopped by the police.

Skeletool has a locking knife, quite a nice one at that. It's a nice multitool, but for those of you wanting just one multitool, I'd suggest the Wave, though its obviously more expensive

The Swisstool is a better multitool, just less so for the bike

The Squirt range is handy, I'd rate the PS4 over the P4, and the P4 over the S4 (I have all of these too!)
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I bought a small Gerber Bear Grylls unit from Go Outdoors in a sale for not a lot. I bent one of the catches somehow on Torino-Nice ride and sent an email to Gerber asking if it could be repaired. A brand new unit landed on my mat a few days later after sending them a picture of the damage. Quite impressed with the service.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I have a 'cheap' True Utility' Multi-tool thing with pliers which I've not broken yet

But for really stubborn brake pad pins, I find these better.
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Had a Skeletool once, but it bit the dust in a freak mountain bike pile-up ;-).

Now got Birzmann E-version multi-tool, which is like a nicer Alien2. Main thing it's got is a bottle opener :-).Has all usual allen keys, screwdriver, spoke keys,brake wedge, & v sharp knife. Only problem is weight cos it's top quality all-metal - 167g = super-ouch.

Separate mini-pliers, since use at same time as multi-tool, only 43g though. Mini-scissors in 1st aid kit anyway.

Whole toolkit weighs 361g which seems too much but can't see a way of reducing that as includes multitool/pliers/pump/patches/cableties/tape.

"Reg"

PS> That's my "BP kit" of course. Same as Stu, at home anything goes - bits of drainpipe, stilsons, oxyacetylene....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
atk

Post by atk »

Another -1 for the Skeletool - the shape of the handles isn't good for applying any real pressure/leverage. I've also had the bit-holder fail before (replaced under warranty). The knife is pretty crap too.
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

Glad to see I'm not the only one with too many tools.

Ive learnt that pliers on pocket sized tools are usually useless, after breaking my dime (and I've broken 2 of those true utility ones) and bending out my squirt.

For biking my tool kit is as minimal as I want to go. Stripped down a Topeak survival box to just 2 Allen keys (different heads on each end) for 3 hex and 1 T25, and the chain tool from the box.

All fits in a custom wallet. Then I always have my swisscard on me for Philips, flat head, knife, tweezers, file, wrapped in inner tube to hold medical card and cash. Simples!

The rest is always on each bike, innertube, co2 pump, patches, tyre levers all strapped under the saddle rails of each bike. My mtb has chain quick links taped to the brake hoses (proper endurbro!) as I have a bad habit of snapping chains!

Simple bikes mean less tools, and sometimes individual tools are lighter and more useful than multitools.

Edit: For brake pad pins I switched mine to split joint hex bolts, secure, simple and same tool needed as every other bolt on the bike
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

I've got a Leatherman Freestyle, medium sized pliers and a reasonably solid knife, nothing else. It takes up very little room, weighs very little, I don't do big rides without it.
My only gripe is the same as with the skeletool in that the handle isn't great for plier leverage, but it's useable.
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

I'm still using a Gerber Cooltool, slightly customised with a Torx wotsit so I can fiddle with my brakes, and a rubber band. This goes on every ride with the usual levers, tube and pump. Never carried pliers, sometimes a small Swiss Army knife though. Pretty much never needed or carried anything else, just a few more spares on trips.
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Skeletool + Hexus II gets me by. Probably better options out there but those two get me sorted 99% of the time.

Greetz,

S.
slarge

Post by slarge »

I use a Topeak thing I've had for years and rarely needed to use. Has a chain tool on it. Also, for those stubborn brake pads and valve cores, a pair of cheap "buy them at a garage with a gallon of fuel" pliers come screwdriver. It's got a dinky little torch on it as well - think it was £5.99.
I don't like spending loads on tools I am more likely to lose than use.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

I've often thought about getting one of these gerber/leatherman tools (ie a decent quality one) I had one of those cheap True tools like Norm posted but it broke trying to cut a gear cable down about 5 years ago when we were doing the west highland way.

I haven't needed it since so I guess its one of those items that you rarely use but will be glad of when you do.
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

Another Leatherman here "ooh err missus"
Its the Wave and the sheath it comes with hold my fire steel a treat the only down sides are the weight and the chocolate main blade (far to soft).
polarcherry

Post by polarcherry »

Are you not better just carrying a small set of adjustable pilers. You can't go wrong with Knipex 125 Cobra Pliers.

They punch well above there weight which is only 85grams, way more powerful than any leatherman pliers.