Re: The 1st Torino-Nice Rally, anyone?

Post by cyclingtiger »

Ooh, zipties.

Thanks for the reminder.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

For me it looks like this;

Frame bag - spares (lube, link, cable ties, hanger, tape). Drugs and stuff like tooth brush, vitamin I, etc. Pole, pegs and lines. Battery pack, front light, spare AA's, cables and such.

Harness - 350 quilt which after looking at the forecast will probably be swapped for a 150. Bivvy bag, Exped mat, Schnozzle bag, Rab Generator smock which will likely change places with a Phd Ultra vest. Spare socks , merino beanie.

Front pack - OMM Phantom hoodie, MYOG waterproof shorts, paperwork.

Seatpost - Tube, tools and pump.

No cooking kit as it would seem rude to travel through Italy eating dehydrated rubbish.

Like Scott, I'm also lighter than I was a couple of months ago ... can't do any harm can it :wink:

EDIT: Sorry Ben, tyres are 2" 650b Maxxis Re-Fuse ... you wouldn't want to ride 'em in the mud!
May the bridges you burn light your way
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Interesting - both of you not carrying a stove

Good plan on food, but I reckon I'd miss a brew before bed or first thing in the morning. Saves a bit of spare and effort I guess

Are there enough resupply points for water in towns etc? Don't see filter or similar

Not seen those tyres before? Is your plan to vary pressure depending on conditions and hope it's not too wet when you get to anything off road? They look like big fat road slicks...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I should have also said, front harness contains my CTC plastic bag / tarp.

There's quite a few places for water, I've a few Chlorine tablets if need be.
Not seen those tyres before? Is your plan to vary pressure depending on conditions and hope it's not too wet when you get to anything off road? They look like big fat road slicks...
They do actually have a tread, a very fine file pattern ... but it's still a tread :wink:. Roughly 2/3 of the route is tarmac with the remainder gravel, so I'm taking a gamble that these won't get too far out of their depth.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Oh yeah...Sawyer mini...lives in a dry bag strapped on the harness. I should dig that out. It's here...somewhere. No stove for me...never carry one.

Re: water...there's quite a bit of water on route by the looks. Using Openfietsmap (http://www.openfietsmap.nl/downloads/worldwide), water stops are marked with a little tap.

Greetz

S.
SixPotBelly

Post by SixPotBelly »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:For me it looks like this;

Frame bag - spares (lube, link, cable ties, hanger, tape). Drugs and stuff like tooth brush, vitamin I, etc. Pole, pegs and lines. Battery pack, front light, spare AA's, cables and such.

Harness - 350 quilt which after looking at the forecast will probably be swapped for a 150. Bivvy bag, Exped mat, Schnozzle bag, Rab Generator smock which will likely change places with a Phd Ultra vest. Spare socks , merino beanie.

Front pack - OMM Phantom hoodie, MYOG waterproof shorts, paperwork.

Seatpost - Tube, tools and pump.

No cooking kit as it would seem rude to travel through Italy eating dehydrated rubbish.

Like Scott, I'm also lighter than I was a couple of months ago ... can't do any harm can it :wink:

EDIT: Sorry Ben, tyres are 2" 650b Maxxis Re-Fuse ... you wouldn't want to ride 'em in the mud!
I'm new to bikepacking, and reading that I can't help wondering if I'm not doing it a bit wrong. I know I need to TLS, but no change of clothes at all? What happens when you get soaked one day? Do bikepackers just ride in damp kit the next?

Edit - missed the spare socks
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Yup...wet gear on...get moving quick so it warms up. Just have to watch out for saddle sores coming on fast with wet chamois or ride outta the saddle a bit more.

Greetz

S.
Chew

Post by Chew »

SixPotBelly wrote:What happens when you get soaked one day? Do bikepackers just ride in damp kit the next?
No point in spare riding kit as after 10 mins you can't tell the difference.

Firstly, avoid getting soaked. Stop riding, find shelter, chill out in a cafe.
If you do get wet things will try out either via body heat or the general temperature. Other than that if its proper grim you'll be able to find a b&b to dry out/tramp wash.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I have waterproof jacket and shorts, if things get very severe I'll buy a roll of bin bags and 'borrow' some plastic petrol station gloves ... sorted :-bd
gairym

Post by gairym »

Chew wrote:Other than that if its proper grim you'll be able to find a b&b to dry out/tramp wash.
And because it's Italy.....

SOCK MANGLE!!!!!
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I'm really jealous of those of you who went on the Tuscany trip and are going on this one, they look ace

I like wearing a set of clothes at night that are different to my riding clothes as I can feel the grim on me and don't like it getting onto my bag/quilt - even if it's a pair of boxers and a t shirt
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Purely an observation and not directed toward anyone ... It's funny, at times you can almost sense the disbelief when people realise that when you say, you don't take much, that you actually don't take much :wink:

Sometimes it feels like people are looking for excuses and reasons to take more, rather than working out how to take less. Bikepacking is very much a mindset and I believe that mindset is one of the things which separates it from touring. I sometimes pass people slogging up and over the mountain road (Sustrans 8) and the only ones ever smiling are those with very little kit. Those with full front and rear panniers, a tent strapped on the back and a bulging bar-bag strangely never look very happy, even though they're doing 'what you're meant to do' :wink:
SixPotBelly

Post by SixPotBelly »

:) Having taken onboard the replies I'm currently unpacking everything to see what could actually be left behind...
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

gairym wrote:
Chew wrote:Other than that if its proper grim you'll be able to find a b&b to dry out/tramp wash.
And because it's Italy.....

SOCK MANGLE!!!!!
SOCK MANGLE :-bd :-bd :-bd I miss the sock mangle !!

I take one shirt, one pair of shorts, 2 pairs of socks, oh and a shirt and pair of shorts to travel out/home in.
Chew

Post by Chew »

All packed up

Similar amount of stuff to Stu and Scott, and plenty of space in the front bag for Cheese, baguettes and salami :-bd
gairym

Post by gairym »

Damn you guys and your silly minimal rigs.

Right, I'm getting serious and having a good old fashioned 'gear cull'!

I might not even take the Kindle :o
benp1

Post by benp1 »

For some reason Chew's set up looks a lot bigger than Stuarts and Scotts

Maybe it's perspective, or the gas tank, or the CTC bag and poles in the harness. Not sure

(I believe you when you say there isn't any more content)
slarge

Post by slarge »

SixPot, I found a good way to packis to lay everything out, then take all the "I might need that" items away. Then look carefully at the rest and ask what purpose it will really serve, and whether something else could be used instead. Then remove some of the remainder. I'm not going to Turin though so its easy!
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Purely an observation and not directed toward anyone ... It's funny, at times you can almost sense the disbelief when people realise that when you say, you don't take much, that you actually don't take much :wink:

Sometimes it feels like people are looking for excuses and reasons to take more, rather than working out how to take less. Bikepacking is very much a mindset and I believe that mindset is one of the things which separates it from touring. I sometimes pass people slogging up and over the mountain road (Sustrans 8) and the only ones ever smiling are those with very little kit. Those with full front and rear panniers, a tent strapped on the back and a bulging bar-bag strangely never look very happy, even though they're doing 'what you're meant to do' :wink:
Met a couple at Southampton port last weekend as we were going to the Isle of Wight. He had an 80l rucksack with a strap-on 25l day bag and his partner had 2 rear panniers and a small rucksack. They looked at us and didn't believe we were camping. They were staying 2 nights in fairness when we were staying just one. We TLS this time and managed to ride with one less seat pack between us. Guess who didn't have the seatpack. :wink:

It's nice to have at least one change of clothes especially when you'll be eating with others, but I suppose you could always eat in a naturist camp.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's nice to have at least one change of clothes especially when you'll be eating with others,
I'm eating with them .... not off them :wink:
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

On the minimalist/light packing front I've come to the conclusion that you can spend your money in one of two ways.

1. On light or not so light equipment to carry around with you which means you are fairly self sufficient (for cooking food, shelter, water etc.)

2. On food, shelter, water etc. whilst not carrying very much.

Therefore the amount of kit I carry is based on my budget for the trip and how fast I need/want to travel. Having ridden with varying levels of kit I don't find more stuff makes it less enjoyable I just adjust distance per day accordingly i.e. less distance/climbing when carrying more stuff.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Plenty of pics appearing on Twitter of other rides @TorinoNiceRally

It's going to be like Wacky Races
cyclingtiger

Post by cyclingtiger »

I remember riding fully loaded touring and part of it is coming to terms of the cost of carrying the kit in terms of pace and exertion. Climbing big hard hills just meant being resigned to a slower pace and once I'd got there I was a lot happier on hills and into a headwind. Mind you, if I was really bothered about minimising everything, I've got a good 10kg of weight I really don't absolutely need between nipples and knees.

I get the whole bikepacking paring down thing but, like everyone else, I have a comfort level. Below that I'd start feeling a bit hairshirty. To me, a trip of more than 3 or 4 days that isn't a race or against the clock requires a change of riding gear to clear the low comfort bar required for an enjoyable trip. I know I could get by without them but it's a choice not to. I'm new to this bikepacking lark and right now I'd rather come back with things I didn't need to take than trucking about berating myself for not having the things I have the capacity to carry. It's a personal thing and that's probably the important bit, to do what's right for you.
JustinF

Post by JustinF »

Am I supposed to have started packing and downloading routes yet? :D
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence you ever tried.
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

For those that aren't taking a change of clothes, what clothing choices have you made? Baggies or bibs? Merino tops /undies?