Would roadies wobble less ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Would roadies wobble less ...

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

if they had some lower gears at their disposal?

Watching a chap cycle up a hill yesterday, it was probably around 10% and he was all over the road. It appeared that the amount of effort required to drive the bike forward resulted directly in him weaving between the verge and the white line. Am I missing something?
May the bridges you burn light your way
atk

Re: Would roadies wobble less ...

Post by atk »

"Super compact" chain sets seem to be increasing in popularity (e.g. 46-30 rings) - started to pop up on a couple of 2017 bikes from the larger manufacturers
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

triple on mine with 11-32 on the back.

I was still sitting and spinning* up hardknot while all around me were falling off.

when I say spinning, i mean gurning like I was having a stroke and trying not to throw up.

cyclingtiger

Post by cyclingtiger »

No, like all other types of rider, roadies have a contingent who are simply incapable of not wobbling no matter what gear/incline combination they are on. I'm not sure what is the cause of the higher prevalence of wobbling is among roadies but until I hear otherwise I'm mostly inclined to blame triathletes.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Oooh, a thread about the "dark side" :-). Never mind wobbling, half(*) of the roadies I see would benefit from a Bikeability course to teach them how to interact and communicate properly with other road users. <Can't find smiley for 'awaits flaming' :wink: >

(*) generalising? what me?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
cyclingtiger

Post by cyclingtiger »

I though "dark side" referred to recumbents? Now there is a group of riders that can wobble a lot at low speeds.
littlegirlbunny

Post by littlegirlbunny »

Yes

I run an 11-32 on the back and a 33t inner on the front. I rarely wobble unless it get above 25% now

On race gears I couldn't get up a 10%er without nearly stalling :lol: :lol:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Not wobbled since I got me these

Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

cyclingtiger wrote:No, like all other types of rider, roadies have a contingent who are simply incapable of not wobbling no matter what gear/incline combination they are on. I'm not sure what is the cause of the higher prevalence of wobbling is among roadies but until I hear otherwise I'm mostly inclined to blame triathletes.
As a tri"athlete" I resemble that remark.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I'm in a road club and have just had a great trip to the Pyrenees with them.

Many folk laughed at my high gears (34/50 cranks and 11-32 cassette). Until the first 2000m col we rode up! Granted I'm not that used to road gears and do like to spin but a 24 tooth cassette wouldn't get me up much
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Many folk laughed at my high gears (34/50 cranks and 11-32 cassette). Until the first 2000m col we rode up! Granted I'm not that used to road gears and do like to spin but a 24 tooth cassette wouldn't get me up much
So, the problem could be one of simple vanity? .... who'd have thought it :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
So, the problem could be one of simple vanity? .... who'd have thought it :wink:
I wouldn't say vanity with folk from our club. More that they are traditional in out look. I would not rule it out for others though.

It's the same with bike too. People 'want' what the pros are riding. Whereas we all know (often through painful personal experience!) how a bike should fit. If you are super fit, flexible, 25 and can knock out 400watts for fun then a slammed stem, massive gears and a big stretch is fine.

For everyone else...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Peer pressure, unwillingness to try something different, tradition.

When I got my first "proper" road bike it had 52/42 and a six speed block 12-20. For The Lakes! :o This last weekend we were in The Lakes on a club away weekend and I did some of the hills I used to think were steep/hard on that setup. I'm now on 50/39 and a ten speed block 11-28 and I wondered what the fuss was about despite being thirty years older and somewhat heavier.

Round here (Dales) 10% isn't that seen as that steep.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Matt

Post by Matt »

After doing 'The Fred' last year with a 28 and couldn't get up Hard Knott I decided to cheat this year.

36T at the rear!!

Oh spinny, spinny spin....34F 36R

Turns out XT 9spd Mech, XT 10Spd block & Ultegra 10Spd shifters works perfectly :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd

jam bo

Post by jam bo »

Matt wrote:After doing 'The Fred' last year with a 28 and couldn't get up Hard Knott I decided to cheat this year.

36T at the rear!!

Oh spinny, spinny spin....34F 36R

Turns out XT 9spd Mech, XT 10Spd block & Ultegra 10Spd shifters works perfectly :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd

The next challenge will be keeping the front wheel on the ground then.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I went down the 39-53 / 11-26 route when I first threw a road bike together but eventually realised my brain was signing cheques my legs couldn't cash so went compact (I did get up applecross on 39-26 however). Its much easier and faster. Most of the folk running 53-11 wouldn't dare spin that out in any case :lol:

Just put a 34-48 and 11-34 on the Pacer and its a joy to ride up hill
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I've noticed more and more road cyclists coming in the shop asking for 30+ tooth rear cassettes, for Cheshire :shock:

It's good to see the old vanity side has started to break down or riders aren't as fit as they used to be :lol:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

voodoo_simon wrote:I've noticed more and more road cyclists coming in the shop asking for 30+ tooth rear cassettes, for Cheshire :shock:

It's good to see the old vanity side has started to break down or riders aren't as fit as they used to be :lol:
It is the new golf though...
DrMekon

Post by DrMekon »

Nothing wrong with a bit of wobbling

https://youtu.be/wiZWD7T1HuM?t=11m59s

I was on 30r/34f, but 541km in to a 600km.
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

Never saw an issue grinding up steep hills, low gears helped but even before i was hardly wobbling all over the road.

I switched from a 34,39,53 triple, 11-25 cassette, which still had plenty low gears for day rides, to a 36-52 "semi compact" with 11-32 and I'm much happier.

I go up hills a bit faster, but can go up them Longer and with more luggage or miles behind me. And having a front derailier that actually works is a nice change.
I don't bottom out often, and if I'm honest, if its so steep and I'm in such a low gear as to only be going 3mph....id rather get off and walk, no ego here. Helps get the blood flowing to my Diabetafeet anyhow :lol:

I originally wanted 50-34 compact but saved money on mine, I'm glad though as a few occasions (on a good day) ive span out in 52 x 11 on a decent flat.

Just you all wait for Sram Eagle to come to roadies! 50t cassettes! Bah! :lol:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

ianfitz wrote:
voodoo_simon wrote:I've noticed more and more road cyclists coming in the shop asking for 30+ tooth rear cassettes, for Cheshire :shock:

It is the new golf though...
We have a golf shop opposite the shop I work in, you know 'that type' of costumer is going to spend some money that day but never sure which shop it will be in :lol: