Mid wales route ideas? Overnight at Moel Prysgau.

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Welsh Steve

Mid wales route ideas? Overnight at Moel Prysgau.

Post by Welsh Steve »

Afternoon guys.

This is my first post, so Hello everyone, and thanks for having me!!

Just planning my second Bivi/Bothy bike adventure.

I wanted to make the over night stop at Moel Prysgau (for no other reason than Ive passed it many times over the years, and thought it would be cool to stop there one day) Ive got a rough idea of a route planned which starts in Rhayader/Elan valley. But my original intention was to start to the south, ride the Dothie valley/Llyn Brianne area up to the Bothy, then ride on up the Elan valley the day after. I ruled this out due to the faff of different start and finish points.

However, I'm starting to doubt my route choice. Ive had a few pointers from a Facebook group for Bivi Biking which Ive been looking at and also trying to drag together some options from Strava heat maps etc.

Would you guys have any tried and tested route ideas/options in this area, your prepared to share with a newbie?

I'm looking to do 2 days, nothing too major distance wise (up to 25/30 miles, 2000/3000ft climbing a day?)

I'd like to avoid the main Strata florida track (as I'm not too keen to get wet) if possible, but if the route is good, anything is an option. Not too worried about terrain, but breaking up double track/fire road with some single track/woodland/mountain top would be good if possible.

Cheers guys.
Steve.
Chew

Re: Mid wales route ideas? Overnight at Moel Prysgau.

Post by Chew »

Welcome to the promised land :-bd

Firstly i'd suggest plotting your own route.
Its an essential skill that will help with future trips, but its invaluable if you need to change plans enroute.

Plenty of advice available as to what may be good or not on there.

I'd suggest something on the lines of
Llanwrtyd Wells, over to Soar y Mynydd, Ty'n-ycornel and north on the track which isnt on the map (its on google earth). North to the telephone box and then on the forest roads to the bothy.
In the morning take the track south through the water splashes. Levels will be low at the moment and its rite of passage for everyone
Over the devils staircase and the picturesque valley to Abergwesyn and roll down the road back to Llanwrtyd.

Its about 45 miles and 6500ft (typical ratio for Wales)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Llanwrtyd Wells, over to Soar y Mynydd, Ty'n-ycornel and north on the track which isnt on the map (its on google earth). North to the telephone box and then on the forest roads to the bothy.
In the morning take the track south through the water splashes. Levels will be low at the moment and its rite of passage for everyone
Over the devils staircase and the picturesque valley to Abergwesyn and roll down the road back to Llanwrtyd.
I like the sound of that.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Welsh Steve

Post by Welsh Steve »

Chew wrote:Welcome to the promised land :-bd

Firstly i'd suggest plotting your own route.
Its an essential skill that will help with future trips, but its invaluable if you need to change plans enroute.

Plenty of advice available as to what may be good or not on there.

I'd suggest something on the lines of

Its about 45 miles and 6500ft (typical ratio for Wales)
Cheers for the replies guys.

Plotting my own route is no major issue, I'm reasonably good with a map and have a fair bit of navigation/mountain/experience.

My big issue is knowing if a route is actually passable. As its one of my first trips, there's going to be a steep learning curve and enough "unforseens" for me to deal with. It would quite nice to get some local knowledge or previous experience to say if a section of route is rideable or not. Ive spent a lot of time carrying my bike down a bridleway which turned out to be bottomless bog or trying to bash through nettles, Its not so bad when its a short section and you can find an alternative. But can be an issue if the alternative route is more than you have the legs for! My plan was to take a selection of peoples suggestion/previous rides then mix and match to make something that suits.

Going to dig the map out now and have a look at the route you suggest.

Much appreciated.
Steve.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

One site that *might* help with determining "ridability" is geograph.org, basically it's a site where people try to take photos from every OS grid square. Sometimes you get a shot of the BW that can give you an idea of likely conditions but it is a lottery in that respect since you are just as likely to get a shot of an OS benchmark cut in to a gate post. The site is also hideous to navigate.

For your first overnighter I'd cut down the mileage especially if it's an area you aren't familiar with, it will just give you more leeway and you won't feel under pressure to have to get somewhere. Our very first bothy trip was Corrour Station to Meanach Bothy to Roy Bridge http://bobwightman.co.uk/bike/slideshow.php?s=meanach, a ride we could have done in little more than a morning really but it was about the whole trip and learning. At the time there weren't any soft bikepacking type harnesses or bags around so everything went in to rucksacks.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Welsh Steve

Post by Welsh Steve »

Chew wrote:
Ty'n-ycornel and north on the track which isnt on the map (its on google earth). North to the telephone box

Hi Chew.

Just in the process of studying some Maps for my trip. Cant quite make out a Track on Google earth which links right through.

Does the track lead the tarmac on the southern (Tyn ycornel) end at 742543 (sorry, question mark doesnt work on my old laptop). There seems to be an obvious track heading north from there which roughy follows the edge of woodland, but beccomes a bit ambiguous. Theres also something leaving the tarmac near the hostel, but that looks more like an old wall or boundry.

Is the Telephone box the one at 762577. seems to be quite a few tracks coming from the south and ending here.

If those are the correct end points, im sure I can find it on the ground. Can anyone help me with the end points please.

Cheers
Steve.
HUX

Post by HUX »

As Chew said. Nice route that! :-bd
Chew

Post by Chew »

Welsh Steve wrote:Does the track lead the tarmac on the southern (Tyn ycornel) end at 742543
No, keep going till you get to 710533 (looks like it may be on the maps now)
Welsh Steve wrote:Is the Telephone box the one at 762577.
Yes thats the one. Fairly obvious tracks northwards to the Bothy

From there follow the BOAT (++++) south to 814569

Road back to Llanwrtyd

Not wanting you to struggle, more teach a man to fish and all that :-bd
Welsh Steve

Post by Welsh Steve »

Chew wrote:
Welsh Steve wrote:Does the track lead the tarmac on the southern (Tyn ycornel) end at 742543
No, keep going till you get to 710533 (looks like it may be on the maps now)

I got it. I was way to far east looking for it. The track I mentioned shows up on a strava heat map, but that doesnt mean its ridable loaded with bags.
Chew wrote:
Not wanting you to struggle, more teach a man to fish and all that :-bd
Completely understand.

Cheers.
Steve.