Malaga to Gibralta

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Sarah

Malaga to Gibralta

Post by Sarah »

We are headed to Spain in first week of November, flying into Malaga and out of Gibralta. Bit of half term sunshine :-bd

Anyone been to that area or got any suggestions of places to go/things to see/ trails to ride etc ?

Looking for ideas, browsing maps, dreaming dreams.....

Sarah
Sarah
Dan_K

Re: Malaga to Gibralta

Post by Dan_K »

Can't comment on the cycling part as I've not been there with a bike. Caves at Nerja are worth a visit. Fuengirola (spelling?) is nice. Benalmadena is good for a bit of nightlife and looking at expensive boats.
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

I recently drove from Malaga to Jimena then took the road across the mountains to Ronda. Think it's called The white towns route. Lots of road cyclists there. The road trip to Ronda was stunning. Very hilly but I thought it would be good on a bike.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

We're over that way every year. I usually hire a bike in Ronda for a couple of days riding. http://www.hikeandbikeholidays.com/

Get in touch, tell them Colin sent you ;-)

The coast is very busy. I'd certainly not cycle it. Inland is very quiet with nice roads and lots of dirt track that can be linked into some great routes.

If you fancy a day out in the car then I'd put Tarifa on your list.
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Thanks.

Looks like we will be using this http://www.transandalus.org/index.php?lang=en for an initial route plan, the Malaga and Cadiz sections at least. Waiting on big map.

Can anyone recommend a source or range of maps in Spain at about 1:50 scale ?

:-bd
Sarah
Chew

Post by Chew »

Try these

http://www.wanderreitkarte.de/garmin_de.php

No idea what the Spanish ones but the Italian ones are great
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Woops, I should of said, paper based maps :???:

Am I just being old fashioned :o not got a GPS thingy yet, I prefer to fold, altho it has to be said it is getting heavy/expensive, to haul so much paper. Off to buy more now !
Sarah
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I go to Gib' a lot with work. It's a small place so I'd not plan to spend much more than a day or two at the most there. It is a peculiar place, a very British enclave off the south of a somewhat industrialized / run down bit of Spain. I imagine if you've never been it'll be at least a novelty but I struggle with that having been over so many times for work, it's just become a site that's a right PITA to fly to :roll: I'm back out next week and then again in two more week's time (First World problems, eh :wink:).

If you like tapas there's some good places in La Linea (the town just over border in Spain, you can walk over from Gib' with a passport for the night). Particular favourites are Patagonica (there's also one in Gib but the original Spanish one is my favourite). The tapas is worth hunting out from there, the next one is even better and completely Spanish. If you like steak (huge ones) go to Gauchos but it's expensive, the nicest I've had has been one in a place call Paparrazi, a little off Main Street, both in Gib.

Casemates Square and the bars / restaurants there are tourist traps IMO and pretty variable quality. Great wee curry spot down near Queensway Quay (Raj's Curry House), tiny, a bit rough round the edges and curries are a little different to the usual fare but still good.

Walk the Mediterranean steps, up Eastside if you're there, along the top (heading north) and then down either the cable car (most vaguely exciting location, most disappointing cafe, other than the ones in the airport terminal) or just down by the Moorish Castle. Don't waste your time or money on the taxis, IMO.

St Michael's Cave also OK but better to pre-arrange a tour into the deeper ones, apparently much more impressive. I haven't the inclination to do it myself as spend a lot of time in the tunnels / tanks. Caving when not working doesn't appeal ;-)

Europa Point is OK for a lounge, ice cream and to see Africa from Europe.

Agree with others that Rhonda and Tarifa are both very nice.

Any other questions or info needed drop me a line / PM. As I said, bit jaded about the place as it's a drag going out there so much so take my comments with a pinch of salt / some caution.