Any thoughts in this Perth/Cairngorms/Abredeen route please?

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Moder-dye

Any thoughts in this Perth/Cairngorms/Abredeen route please?

Post by Moder-dye »

I was thinking of doing Adam's Deesside Trail in early September (but not as an ITT) with a ride out to Banchory and back from Aberdeen, but then got distracted by this route through Glen Almond http://mycountry.cc/post/48291208414/gravel-en-ecosse

I have to get the ferry to Aberdeen from Shetland so train to Perth and ride back to Aberdeen via as much scenery as I can manage would work well.

Here's the work in progress https://www.strava.com/routes/5996238 a mix of quiet roads, trails and rougher stuff that I'll be doing solo.

I'd appreciate any thoughts and ideas that would improve the route so that it's not too challenging/HAB filled. My main concern is (I think) from Dalnacardoch Lodge on the A9 north up Edendon Water into Glen Tromie and then around Glen Feshie south and east to the Lin of Dee which is the part of the Cairngorm Loop and I think has a reputation I might not like. I guess Glen Tilt from Blair Athol could be another option?

Call me a wuss and to HTFU, but I'm not at all keen to repeat anything like the climb to Camban Bothy from Glean Licht on this trip (though not doing it in the dark with snow showers in March will help)! I want a route to enjoy without too much nastiness.

Any help much appreciated as don't know these areas. :-bd

Kevin
adamwwallace

Re: Any thoughts in this Perth/Cairngorms/Abredeen route ple

Post by adamwwallace »

Feshie to Linn of Dee is fine, one of the easier bits of riding in the Cairngorms I think (if you're worried about technical then the Deeside Trail's pretty technical in places...). It's better east to west as the descent into Feshie is a good one. The bridge at Carnachuin washed away years ago so not sure if you're intending to find a ford to cross the Feshie nearby, if not you'll have to cross lower down at Achleum.

Ballochbuie forest is nice and easy riding. I would just continue on the Deeside way from Dinnet to Aboyne. It takes a bit of a detour North after Aboyne but its still reasonably direct so you can follow it through Kincardine O'Neill to Potarch Bridge. When in Scolty the view from the top of the tower is worth seeing so I'd add that in as it won't add much time. From there just follow the Deeside way back to Aberdeen, no need for the wee hitch south from Crathes to Park Bridge unless you've got a reason to.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Cheers Adam,

I'll have a look in more detail at the Ballater back to Aberdeen bit, i have done all that before through Scolty woods so had just roughly plotted it. .

I was planning to do the route clockwise, due to having booked the train to Perth so unless I can make sense of it with another loop glen feshie would be West to east.

Not too much worried as to technicality, though I was thinking of more a CX style route initially. I'm more wanting to avoid excessive hike a bike with a loaded bike, not adverse to some. Think I've got PTSD from the push up to camban in March lol!

I've basically got 4 days riding between ferries, so may add some bits to the route. Looking at 90-100km per day max.

Still considering your route, but not as an ITT. If I did it I'd be starting from Aberdeen the day before, so you guys would pass me on route.

Look forward to your ride report from it.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Hows about from Perth follow NCN7 north to Bankfoot then over Glengarr (OK trail bit boggy but all rideable) then from Rumbling br head up into craigvinean and trace the fire road route over into Strathtay. Next head over the double track which roughly parallels the Rob Roy way to Pitlochry then follow the ace trails up by the Tummel / loch Faskally / Killie Krankie to Blair Atholl. From Blair head up NCN7 to Dalnacardoch. More off road than your route albeit with a fair bit climbing. The Gaik is a great trail - the single track is a lot shorter on the ground than the map and all rideable. The only hassle is getting across from Sronphradruig lodge to the single track as the river has wiped out th eold route and you have to scramble up the bank and across a short boggy bit to pick up the singletrack. Feshie to Geldie can be hard going and if you choose to follow the west bank there are three river crossing required which could be epic. The traverse over the feshie / Geldie watershed can be very boggy but is definitely out there!

Good luck sounds an ace trip
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Thanks for those ideas htrider. Certainly food for thought, though if I do this route I really want to do Glen Almond to Loch Tay as part of it so I wanted a sensible, but reasonably direct route to Dalnacardoch and thought atleast I'll be on B roads rahter than bigger ones as nothing was jumping out at me.

I'm now thinking I might have the time/miles to get to Blair Athol first and do Glen Tilt into Glen Fleshie east to west , into Glen Tromie and back south to Dalnacardoch and then follow the NCN7 back to Blair Athol for an other run down Glen Tilt (or the CG loop version) to Braemar and then head east for Aberdeen. But that might just be getting silly!

https://www.strava.com/routes/6035588

I think it was the Geldie Feshie water shed that was concerning me from Ruighe nan Leum to what looks like track north of Geldie Lodge. when you say the west bank from Geldie to Feshie do yo umean north bank as the Geldie to Feshie is East to West? Is there an realistic option on the south (other) side to avoid the crossings?

I've got a few weeks to refine it and decide for definite so appreciate ideas. Thanks :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

The section of the Feshie that can be problematical is the bit south of Feshie Lodge before it swings east. The east side is on singletrack which got blootered by hurricane bertha in '14 and Storm Desmond on New years eve. The east side is still passable but a bit hairy in places. the west side requires the 3 river crossings. If you search out the Cairngorms loop thread there is a lot of discussion on this (and photos!) Once the glen swings east (asuming your heading south / east that is) its OK but when you hit the single track avoid the temptation to follow the argocat track as its a bog - the single track is fairly rocky but dry(ish). Over to the Geldie the only river crossing is the Eidart which has a bridge. The desire line east of this doesn't quite follow the map line so follow your nose. This bit is hard but its an amazing place so worth the effort.