bivi bug net?

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

HaYWiRe

bivi bug net?

Post by HaYWiRe »

A quick question as I'm modding my current bivi, how are bug nets normally used on bivi bags? With regards to entrance and keeping it off your face?

I've got an idea for a zipperless entry but looking at all the best options, I am modding a drawcord opening Hunka bag

The plan is the sew a cylinder of noseeum to the opening, that can be ruffled around the entrance when not used. The other end of the cylinder will have a drawcord and mitten clip to close it forming a rough cone shape....all in theory ofcourse

Hopefully little weight added, no zips and straightforward sewing, hopefully
Bearbonesnorm

Re: bivi bug net?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

With regards to entrance and keeping it off your face?
Usually netting has a zip and just something to tie a cord to.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Photos below of my modded Hunka XL. Yet again my g/f has been doing the sewing so I won't actually get it in my hands until next Thursday. Really looking forward to testing how much it impedes getting in/out of the bag and whether it works in practice.

There's some mesh here honest.

Pull the cords and voila it raises off of your face...not perfect but should work ok.

Zip is across the top of the entrance so you can undo it and roll it down inside if not required.
(There is a zip in there somewhere!)
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Nice looking job, well done to you both. :-bd
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

I like that, very tidy - nice job.
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
Ian

Post by Ian »

If you're a back sleeper, keep a cycling hat on and the peak keeps the mesh off your face :ugeek:

Personally, I don't mind the mesh on my face as I'm usually sufficiently knackered to fall asleep regardless...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Personally, I don't mind the mesh on my face as I'm usually sufficiently knackered to fall asleep regardless...
Just remember that some things can still bite through netting, so if it's resting on your face you may still wake up looking like Joseph Merrick.
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

ctznsmith wrote:Photos below of my modded Hunka XL. Yet again my g/f has been doing the sewing so I won't actually get it in my hands until next Thursday. Really looking forward to testing how much it impedes getting in/out of the bag and whether it works in practice.

There's some mesh here honest.

Pull the cords and voila it raises off of your face...not perfect but should work ok.

Zip is across the top of the entrance so you can undo it and roll it down inside if not required.
(There is a zip in there somewhere!)
Could I be cheeky and ask for a picture with it inside out to see how/where the mesh and zip is attached? When I was out on Friday night I was thinking about your Hunka as I evicted the second snail I found in the hood of mine. I don't know if they crawled in from the ground or could they have fallen off the tree above me? I didn't put the tarp up as it was a nice night. The bug net would of kept them out. I found a third inside of it when I got home and turned it inside out to air.

On a related note, I used to race snails. My best, Eric, was always there or there abouts, coming second or third but didn't quite have the edge to win. I came up with the idea to take him out of his shell to make him more aerodynamic, but if anything it made him more sluggish :lol:

I'll get my coat, Sean
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

You can have said picture...i'll try to remember to take it later this week.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Cheers, I've just ordered the bug netting ready to mod mine :smile:
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Does this help? It\s literally just stictched to the back of the black bit.

I will say that as the pull cords are outside of the netting you can\t actually pull them enough to raise it off your face and then do the zip back up. Will probably add a loop on the front of the netting to tie it up and away from my face more at some point.
DSCF4778[1].JPG
(7.41 MiB) Downloaded 138 times
Attachments
DSCF4780[1].JPG
(7.61 MiB) Downloaded 138 times
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Thanks for the pics, I can see how it's done now. I'd noticed the pull cord was on the outside, I've never noticed that they are there before but I've never paid too much attention to them on mine, I assume they are all the same.

I've had mine for about 8 years (at a guess) and I bought it as a factory second off the Alpkit stand at the outdoor show at the NEC and I think I paid £15 :grin: As soon as my mesh arrives I'll break out my sewing machine and that should hopefully be an end to evicting snails in the middle of the night!