Alpamayo Bikepacking Gear

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Catbaiter

Alpamayo Bikepacking Gear

Post by Catbaiter »

Not sure if anyone has mentioned Alpamayo Designs yet?

They've recently launched as a new bikepacking bag company (http://www.alpamayodesigns.com). Jam Bo and I used some of the early designs in Iceland last summer and it proved to be top quality kit. Definitely worth a look if you're in the market for some new gear.

Disclaimer: Paul agreed to let us take his gear and test it out (though we also paid for it). He asked for an honest appraisal of its performance from a reasonably independent perspective. If I thought the gear sucked, I'd have told him so, and I certainly would be recommending it here :-bd
Steezysix

Re: Alpamayo Bikepacking Gear

Post by Steezysix »

Thanks, I need a handlebar harness and their one looks pretty nice! Is it pretty solid over rough ground?
mikehowarth

Post by mikehowarth »

It's great to see the Alpamayo stuff finally in the wild.

I had the pleasure of meeting Paul (one half of Alpamayo) whilst in Huaraz as he was just working on the initial prototypes of stuff for his own trip south through the Americas, as he was bitten by the bikepacking bug.

Over the past year and a bit I've had various prototypes in my hands, as the production process and final designs have been tweaked and refined to what you see on the Alpamayo site today.

Whilst Alpamayo might be a new brand, both Paul and Sam have a pretty impressive riding CV behind them and all the products already have hundreds (if not thousands) of hours of product testing behind them..

Having seen the first production run a couple of weeks ago, I was really impressed with the overall quality and finish of the product, so much so I'd be happy to put my hand in my pocket to buy them....and thats coming from a Yorkshireman :o
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Really like the look of the Front Accessory Bag http://www.alpamayodesigns.com/index.ph ... ocket.html... good as waterproof camera bag and, as it says, no zipper to fail on it.
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

we didn't use the bar harnesses, Alpamayo made us custom frame bags, one for tom's surly and one for my transition bandit. we used wildcat bar harnesses and I used a wildcat seat pack.

looking at bar harness I may sell my wildcat and get one of the alpamayo ones as it looks like it'd work better on my frame and the top tube bag looks better thought out than the alpkit one I used. And I like matching kit...
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

bit of thread revival, but turns out my bag made for my transition bandit 26, fits my bandit 29 as well.

And I finally got to use the top tube bag I bought a couple of months ago. Its much better than the alpkit one it replaces. stays put and doesnt flop around all over the place. and the build quality is outstanding.

highly recommend these guys.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Its much better than the alpkit one it replaces. stays put and doesnt flop around all over the place.
Slight thread diversion... I replaced the velcro straps on my Alpkit top tube bag with some straps made out of 3/4" webbing and ladder locks (couple of quid off eBay) - can now tension them properly and it doesn't flop about. Annoyed the **** out of me before!
Steezysix

Post by Steezysix »

Another fan of the Alpamayo stuff here, got one of the top tube bags and have to agree it's a lot better than the Alpkit one I have. It's a really good shape and a lot stiffer on the sides so it doesn't sag and flop around when it's part empty. My friend bought a full set of their bike luggage and is really happy with it too!
JamesT

Post by JamesT »

Yes I have a top tube bag - really good quality zip, straps and attention to detail - I'm happy so far and planning to get more of their stuff - plus they let me try out 2 frame bags to get the sizing just right between the L and XL - nice
Al

Post by Al »

Bought one of their top tube bags a while back - really nicely made bit of kit, very happy with it.

I also rode with Paul on the WRT this year - top bloke, really interesting story behind how the kit came about and how it's made. Definitely recommend them - I planning on getting a frame bag off them to fit my other bike at some point.