I think not.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

I think not.

Post by Ray Young »

My stepdaughter just bought a sleeping bag for t in the park from Tesco for £18, comfort rating 3.2 to 7.8c sounds ok, extreme rating -11.4c, somehow I think not. :roll:
Bearbonesnorm

Re: I think not.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think you're right Ray ;) Sleeping bag ratings are a bit of a pet hate, I get a fair few folk turn up for trips with cheap bags that they've bought on the strength of the extreme temp rating ... it's a sure fire way to make a night in the hills a miserable experience.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

I remember buying a sleeping bag years ago for a motorbike trip and a short conversation with the salesperson in Millets:

"I need a small, lightweight sleeping bag."

"This is the smallest, lightest bag we do - should be up to the job."

What he failed to mention is that it was a piece of tissue paper masquerading as a sleeping bag. Coldest night of my life.
Ian

Post by Ian »

extreme rating -11.4c, somehow I think not
The extreme rating is not intended to general use - it is minimum temperature at which a standard woman can remain for six hours without risk of death from hypothermia (though frostbite is still possible).

That said, I'd rather not be exposed to such temperatures in an £18 sleeping bag for one hour, never mind six :shock:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The extreme rating is not intended to general use - it is minimum temperature at which a standard woman can remain for six hours without risk of death from hypothermia (though frostbite is still possible).
I think that's the trouble, the above often isn't explained to people or even understood by those selling the bags. People just see the figure and believe they've bought a bag good down to whatever it states.
didnothingfatal

Post by didnothingfatal »

s8tannorm wrote:
I think that's the trouble, the above often isn't explained to people or even understood by those selling the bags. People just see the figure and believe they've bought a bag good down to whatever it states.
In this era of instant access to information at your finger tips, it isn't any excuse!
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I might have to rescue my stepdaughter and her pals from T In The Park tonight, seems their Tesco's £22 tent isn't waterproof and most of their gear is wet. Not looking forward to that but it might be easier than picking them up on monday when it finishes. Maybe I should be looking forward to winter after all!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's really no wonder that much of the population dislike camping. I imagine for many, their camping experience starts and ends along the lines of your stepdaughters Ray ;)
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I could have lent her a decent 3 man tent but she previously borrowed two sleeping bags and a bag liner for an overnight camp with her mates by one of the reservoirs in the Pentlands. Never been seen since, value about £150 thank you very much! Never again. Does this make me a meanie? PS. No SOS as yet, would be too late now anyway as I have had a drink.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Does this make me a meanie?
No ... the fact they're all still alive, must indicate that you are a very reasonable man ;)
sallyh

Post by sallyh »

I would have told her that seeing as she so obviously liked them (having not returned them) she could have them as an early Christmas present :)
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Apparently someone camping near them had had enough by Saturday so left telling them they could have their tent as they couldn't be bothered to take it down. A nice waterproof one, things always work out. Now I've just got to go and pick them up.
sallyh wrote:
I would have told her that seeing as she so obviously liked them (having not returned them) she could have them as an early Christmas present :)
I like this idea :lol: .