XT Dynamo Hub

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JamesT

XT Dynamo Hub

Post by JamesT »

Hi everyone
I'm looking to get a Dynamo set up and see that Shimano XT Hubs look to be good value - Does anyone have experience of these? Would they be ok to run a decent light / USB charge set up? Thanks
Bearbonesnorm

Re: XT Dynamo Hub

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If it produces 3w then it should be more than up to the task.
May the bridges you burn light your way
chris n

Post by chris n »

I've got one on my winter road bike, though I can't remember which model ( it's centrelock disc, QR axle, a couple of years old). It's done around 2500 miles so far with no issues, and I don't expect any given that my last two Shimano dynohubs lasted for thousands of miles each (they were still working when I sold them on, FWIW). Works just fine with a Luxos U headlamp and B+M tail light so I see no reason why it won't work with a different charger.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

There isn't much love for them here in the UK where dynamos aren't a huge thing but on the continent most town bikes have a dynamo, as to them it's just a vehicle so having light is very helpful. I reckon lots of the shimano offerings like this will be used a lot on those bikes
JamesT

Post by JamesT »

Thanks for replies - yes they look OK to me and Shimano can generally be relied on - may give it a go
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

I have both LX (rim brake) and XT (disc brake) hubs. Both have been utterly faultless. I'd not hesitate to have another.
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
Steezysix

Post by Steezysix »

I've got an Alfine hub, not really sure what the difference is apart from weight, but it's done 1000's of km without any issues. Unless you need a 15mm axle or are a real weight weeny, you won't go wrong with Shimano!
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Steezysix wrote:I've got an Alfine hub, not really sure what the difference is apart from weight, but it's done 1000's of km without any issues. Unless you need a 15mm axle or are a real weight weeny, you won't go wrong with Shimano!
what would be the recommendations for a QR15 dynamo hub?
Steezysix

Post by Steezysix »

I've also got a SP 15mm one, only done a few rides on it and it seems ok. There have been a few reports of poor bearing life though, so I'm wary of using it on any really long trips in case it fails.
rich.mike

Post by rich.mike »

I've got the Shimano LX hub on my touring bike. It's done tens of thousands of miles of all types of terrain and hasn't skipped a beat with zero maintenance!
JamesT

Post by JamesT »

Thanks everyone - I am thinking the XT is worth a go
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

Can't be much worse than SP issues.

If it lasts more than a year and the bearing don't completely freeze then it's doing better than my last SP Dynamo.

If it does not develop play after 2 months light use then it doing better than my current SP (rebranded) Dynamo.