MYOG Easy bar bag/headtube anti rub device for £7.99

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

MYOG Easy bar bag/headtube anti rub device for £7.99

Post by Ray Young »

Buy a crud guard "fast fender" front mudguard from chain reaction cycles for £7.99 with free P&P.
Cut off the mudguard bit, mount to bars, adjust to desired angle and tighten up the bolts.
Job done.

2012_0510barbagheadtube0002 by youngray50, on Flickr

2012_0510barbagheadtube0004 by youngray50, on Flickr

2012_0510barbagheadtube0001 by youngray50, on Flickr

I was going to use the whole mudguard but my dry bag would not fit in the gap between the bar and mudguard.
gairym

Re: MYOG Easy bar bag/headtube anti rub device for £7.99

Post by gairym »

ingenious!

have you used it in anger yet....?

i've been looking for a cheap alternative to a wildcat mountain lion (as i've spent WAAAY too much on all things bikey of late - sorry Ian!) to use on my 29er and this looks perfect.

let me know how it performs.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Hi Gairy, no not field tested yet but I don't think it will move as it's mounted pretty tight and the dry bag is mounted tightly to the bars. If it does move then I was thinking of putting a star nut into the bottom of the steerer and running a small support up to the bottom of it. I am hoping to field test it this saturday and will let you know how it works.
gairym

Post by gairym »

cool, let me know how it goes.....

with stuff like some dry clothes and/or a sleeping bag in the mounted dry bag it's not like it's going to be massively heavy and so i imagine it'll work fine.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Loaded up the 8L bar bag I use with the stuff I would normally put in there (down jacket, change of clothes etc) and went for a ride in the Pentlands. Didn't budge at all, not one millimetre, job's a good un.
gairym

Post by gairym »

hi ray,

i'm currently researching alternative ideas (incase the Wildcat Gear 'Mountain Lion' doesn't arrive before i leave on my big trip on Sunday) and i'm re-visiting this option.

luckily i bought one of these mudguards a while back and have cut it down and fitted it and all seems to be fine.

my question is this:

are you still using yours....?

is it still working....?

any problems....?

i've got my fingers crossed that the Mountain Lion will make it in time (the French postal system likes to make people sweat) but just want to examine my other options 'just-in-case'.

let me know.

cheers, gairy.
didnothingfatal

Post by didnothingfatal »

gairym wrote:i'm currently researching alternative ideas (incase the Wildcat Gear 'Mountain Lion' doesn't arrive before i leave on my big trip on Sunday) and i'm re-visiting this option.
Nothing like being organised ;)
gairym

Post by gairym »

didnothingfatal wrote:Nothing like being organised ;)
yeah, it was a last minute idea but it's also the French postal system being slow.

am just off to the shops to see if it's arrived today.....
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Hi gairy, yes still using mine, it's been used on three outings and it works just fine, never had to tighten or adjust it. Have a good trip whatever choice you end up making.
didnothingfatal

Post by didnothingfatal »

gairym wrote:
didnothingfatal wrote:Nothing like being organised ;)
yeah, it was a last minute idea but it's also the French postal system being slow.

am just off to the shops to see if it's arrived today.....
Shouldn't laugh, I'm waiting on delivery from Alaska, before I hit Switzerland :?
gairym

Post by gairym »

Ray Young wrote:Hi gairy, yes still using mine, it's been used on three outings and it works just fine, never had to tighten or adjust it. Have a good trip whatever choice you end up making.
great, good to know.

it's a great little solution and one i'll be using if the Mountain Lion doesn't make it in time :D
didnothingfatal wrote:Shouldn't laugh, I'm waiting on delivery from Alaska, before I hit Switzerland
yeah, it doesn't matter how long you plan something there'll always be last minute panic-based purchases and/or changes of kit/routes/bikes etc...
gairym

Post by gairym »

ok, crisis averted - the gear arrived.

i still think i'll use this solution in the future though as it's a great little fix.

the mountain lion took me some time to set-up (i've been uber-tired lately) but everything is now sorted and i'm off in the morning!

cheerio, gairy.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

I bought a Revelate sling before the mountain lion was available and wasn't too impressed with the way it was gonna polish the headtube. I took a more permanent approach with my on one forks, since they were steel, to give me something to attach the lower strap to and keep the bag off the headtube

...actually I didn't care about the headtube just didn't want my king headset rubbed to death!

vorlich

Post by vorlich »

Excellent job. I think I saw this posted at STW, but had forgotten about it. Just ordered one to try myself.