Kielder and Cheviots c2c.

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

Kielder and Cheviots c2c.

Post by Ray Young »

An easy coast to coast starting at Gretna on the Solway Firth and ending at Spittal by Berwick upon Tweed going through Kielder Forest and traversing the Cheviot Hills ridgeline. It is 110 miles long with 1/3 b roads, 1/3 forest road and 1/3 off road. I have included an easier alternative if you don't want to do the Cheviot Hills ridgeline. Two handy bothies just before halfway (Spithope and Yearning Saddle Refuge Hut) if your doing it over two days or camping at Kielder and Wooler if doing it in three days. Holy Island is just off route too and well worth a visit.
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/1006514897
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/1006517223
Moder-dye

Re: Kielder and Cheviots c2c.

Post by Moder-dye »

Looks like a nice one :-bd
crewlie

Post by crewlie »

Do you reckon this ( the off-road part) would be doable with panniers on? Might want to give it a go as part of a longer trip coming back on one of the C2C routes, and I'm not sure I can talk my wife into multiday minimalism :wink:
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

crewlie wrote:Do you reckon this ( the off-road part) would be doable with panniers on?
Yes, in fact the first time I rode it I had both front and rear panniers . This picture is at Windy Gyle, the highest point and was taken just before I discovered bikepacking. Image
crewlie

Post by crewlie »

Brilliant, thanks for that :-bd
crewlie

Post by crewlie »

Did this week over three days. Great route, although I think my definition of easy may be slightly different to Ray's :shock: Kielder to Wooler was quite tough with the ground fairly boggy in places, but pleased I took the ridgeline route, not the alternative.
Still can't quite believe how remote and quiet it is up there. Just saw one walker on the middle day, felt I had the world to myself!