Reproofing Goretex jackets

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Chicken Legs

Reproofing Goretex jackets

Post by Chicken Legs »

Has anyone had their Goretex jacket reproofed by the following or a similar company and were you pleased with the results ?

http://www.lancashiresportsrepairs.co.uk/reproofing.htm
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
whitestone

Re: Reproofing Goretex jackets

Post by whitestone »

All it is doing is reapplying the coating that stops moisture from getting in to the fabric. You can do it yourself easily enough: put in a washer along with the reproofing agent and follow washing instructions then iron with the iron on very low heat.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

I have tried that and the instructions recommended putting into the tumble drier to complete the process, although the jacket was OK it was not as good as new and I no longer trust it !!
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Interesting Andy, I've never really thought about getting a jacket "professionally" re-proofed. There's no doubt that the old TX-direct is not as good as the factory applied DWR, so I'll be interested if anyone has any reports on this sort of service.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I had a discussion about this at the Winter Event

I don't really understand how washing it in is better than spraying it on, unless it's just easier

I'd have assumed you want the DWR on the outside and not on the inside?
mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

although the jacket was OK it was not as good as new and I no longer trust it !!
The best result I've had to date with the wash in stuff was to wash the jacket properly, with the proper cleaning stuff, let it dry, wash it with the proofer, let it dry and then wash it with a half dose of proofer again. It wasn't beading well at all before, now as well as it did when new. Possibly better! Seems to give better results than just adding a bit extra to start with.

Be warned though, I did have a couple of washes afterwards that came out ever so slightly water resistant so it might be a good idea to rinse and then do a couple of washes of non-important stuff after.
I don't really understand how washing it in is better than spraying it on, unless it's just easier
I don't know why, but I seem to have had better results since moving to wash in.
paramart

Post by paramart »

what whitestone said works,
it's not that I can and others can't, it's that I will and others won't.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've found I get better results if I hand-wash the proofer in rather than use the machine (despite taking all precautions with the machine).
wfbroddy

Post by wfbroddy »

I've done all 3, machine wash, hand wash and sprayed directly on to fabric, all worked equally well.

But i did make sure the jacket was properly clean before doing any of the suggested techniques. the left the jacket to hang dry after the proofing agent was added

Washing used a good old fashioned soap flake washing powder (not non-bio), got it out of ASDA. half the price of the apparent "proper" stuff and just as good, and works on pretty much all modern technical fabrics without issue

If your machine washing you need to make sure there's no modern washing machine powder left in the system as I believe this can affect the effectiveness of any added waterproofing, hence doing it by hand can be easier.

Waterproofer was TX direct
benp1

Post by benp1 »

How many jackets do you guys proof at the same time?

Also, does anyone bother washing by hand in the bath or a big bucket, rather than have to get all the previous washing detergent out of the washing machine.

[Although I think that's only a concern if you're not proofing after? Non-soap based detergents washes off the DWR but soap doesn't, so presumably soap wash is only for in-between reproofs]
wfbroddy

Post by wfbroddy »

benp1 wrote:How many jackets do you guys proof at the same time?
Just the one, tried more than one garment at a time and adjusting the quantity of proofing required but got mixed results
benp1 wrote:Also, does anyone bother washing by hand in the bath or a big bucket, rather than have to get all the previous washing detergent out of the washing machine.
Tend to only hand wash these days as I get the same results, and since I tend to only to one garment at a time it makes more sense to do it this way

HTH
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

There is possibly an alternative in the future

Thanks to Tom Hill for the tip off

https://johnclimber.com/2016/07/12/coul ... oly-grail/
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

JohnClimber wrote:There is possibly an alternative in the future

Thanks to Tom Hill for the tip off

https://johnclimber.com/2016/07/12/coul ... oly-grail/
Following on from this

My new jacket arrived today and in perfect timing as it is St Swithins day
(if you don't know what St Swithins day is google it but don't get depressed when you get the answer)

Initial thoughts
Grey not black as the photo showed on the website, but it's not bad enough to complain
It's a bit noisier than normal waterproofs
Weighs 394 grams
The back is long enough to cover my bum when on the bike
The arms are long enough with a nice bend in the elbow seam
The wrists have a simple vercro strap and the holes are big enough to pull the sleeves up over your elbows and to vercro then closed again and they stay up
The arm pit zips are nice and long and easy to open
The 3 pockets are big enough and are mesh lined so could be undone to help vent
Size is a fraction on the larger size, my medium is a little baggy but will be perfect in the winter
The zips are waterproof
The hood is big and a nice fit
It compacts down to fold down into it's pocket, see below

The rain beads on it perfectly and it shakes dry instantly

If i was making it I would add a double pull zip so that it could be sealed into it's pocket more compact

I used it this afternoon for the dog walk in "muggy heat" and it was warm with a long sleeved Helly Hansen top on under it.
The liner is comfortable enough to wear a lightweight tee shirt or noraml cycling top on on under it most of the year.

Test ride to come