A carbon Shand...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

mat_swan

Re: A carbon Shand...

Post by mat_swan »

Interesting that neither of those chinese frames get the chainstays as short as the stache- they all seem to be longer in the short position than the stache is in the long.

I don't know how much of the 'total package' of the stache is down to the chainstay length, but copying one might not be as simple as just cramming 29+ wheels in and sticking an e-stay on.
The guys in my LBS are pretty sure a 27.5+ and carbon Stache are going to be put out my Trek for 2017my.
The stache will take 27.5+ now but I agree, a smaller framed dedicated b+ version would probably sell too- it would fit with trek tending to change wheel size with frame size. A carbon stache, if they got the weight down, could make a pretty quick rigid bike for covering mixed terrain fast.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Ian wrote:Had to check for a moment that I wasn't on Singletrack World...
Yeah, how dare people have opinions!
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Another thought, if they had any input on the design, why would they go for a 27.2 seatpost? Really limits people if they wanna run a dropper post, which plenty of people do...

I spotted the major difference, It has an extra bottle cage bolt for a salsa anything cage on the downtube! Woop-di-doo! Also seems like the least likely place anyone would put an anything cage, no?
Last edited by mountainbaker on Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Post by Ian »

mountainbaker wrote:
Ian wrote:Had to check for a moment that I wasn't on Singletrack World...
Yeah, how dare people have opinions!
I was filling in for Cheeky Monkey. [where is he, anyway?]

I don't have a problem with opinions, provided they are based on reasonable facts. I popped over the singletrack as I heard there was a similar thread. Some of the folk on there are highly adept at spouting forth their opinions without basing their comments on any kind of evidence. There were only about two people talking sense from what I could make out.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

mountainbaker wrote:, It has an extra bottle cage bolt for a salsa anything cage on the downtube! Woop-di-doo! Also seems like the least likely place anyone would put an anything cage, no?
No. I had one added to my Pact exactly there.
Pat

Post by Pat »

I don't know how light people want a bike to be, but my large stache 5 comes in about 26lbs without trying....and even though I'm a ~~chunky~~ powerful chap, I've yet to notice any flex around the BB....
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Ian wrote:I don't have a problem with opinions, provided they are based on reasonable facts. I popped over the singletrack as I heard there was a similar thread. Some of the folk on there are highly adept at spouting forth their opinions without basing their comments on any kind of evidence. There were only about two people talking sense from what I could make out.
Yeah, there's aren't any actual facts about what the differences are yet, I guess that will be forthcoming. From what can be deduced from Shand's site and the various chinese sites listing the same/similar frame, there are no differences, bar some 2mm geometric differences, which are likely down to measurements being out. Oh, that that one extra bottle cage boss.

If that's the case, I think it's sad for Shand as a brand to lower itself to rebadging, especially if they are trying to claim they spent loads of time on the design. It'll be hard to disprove that they didn't, because it looks so similar to the generic chinese one.

Funny thing is, I quite like it too (except the guacamole colour). Reminds me of my Alpinestars Al-mega I used to race on in 1992!
Ian

Post by Ian »

Last edited by Ian on Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yorlin

Post by Yorlin »

And there's this useful info from the end of last page!
Alpinum wrote:From here:
http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/t/aufbauth ... 905/page-2

Frame (looks like size 17") with liner = 1377 g

Shand claims 1000 g
http://www.shandcycles.com/bikes/oykel/
But they don't claim their own design although I do read a "[...]our solution is to [...]" :wink:
I quite like this on Shand's page:

"CARBON FIBRE

We work closely with our Carbon Fibre manufacturing partners in Asia for the production of our carbon frames and the carbon forks on some of our steel models. We do not manufacture carbon products in-house, but all carbon frames and forks undergo final inspection, finishing and painting in our workshop on Scotland. Our manufacturing partner has been producing carbon product to the cycling community since 2006 and are world renowned for their expertise in the composites industry."

Fair play, not like some other companies who try to hide the rather obvious.

Both bikes use Toray T700 fibres.
http://www.icanbikes.com/html/MTB/27_5ER_frame/330.html

Nothing special here.
But a weight difference of ca. 360 g (377 minus the Di2- cap) is huge. Maybe Shand got the weight from a size S frame... but then... still seems a bit much(?)

Then there's the two position drop out.

Before Brexit the saving when buying the ICAN instead of the Shand would've been roughly 35 %. That's seems a lot. Question is, how good is ICAN's customers support? Companies like Nextie have showed amazing efforts in a case I'm familiar with... Asian direct sellers have upped their game. It'd be a tough call if Shand where a Swiss company (with out the swiss price)... if I wanted that bike, I'd probably ask Shand for a good deal and go with them. But then, I'm Swiss. Swiss like to pay too much :roll:
So it does seemed to be an improved model! :-bd Pretty interested in how it turns out... Though when I'm up for the Big Spendy Bike, I'll probably get measured up for a nice steel one :)
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

mountainbaker wrote:Another thought, if they had any input on the design, why would they go for a 27.2 seatpost? Really limits people if they wanna run a dropper post, which plenty of people do...
There are a few 27.2 droppers now no?
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Richard G wrote:
mountainbaker wrote:Another thought, if they had any input on the design, why would they go for a 27.2 seatpost? Really limits people if they wanna run a dropper post, which plenty of people do...
There are a few 27.2 droppers now no?
Also the thinner post will flex more and therefore be more comfortable.

Anyways, I like that frame a lot! After building up a rigid, geared carbon mountain bike last month for a customer, that lack of weight is rather tempting (18lbs btw)
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

From STW (as becomes obvious) - a response from Shand
Wow, 3 pages of comments about a bike that no-one wants to buy! :wink:.

I saw this thread yesterday and resisted chiming in as I thought it might be better if it just quickly died a death!

Seriously though, there's a lot of interesting stuff here, some useful and insightful and some just plain wrong and ignorant. The key thing for me (personally) when reading a thread like this is to remember it doesn't really matter. Sure, there's some gobby shitebags that like to have their voice heard, so they shout louder, but those people are never going to be our customers, I kind of think of them as the same people in the audience at Top Gear, moaning about how crap the new Porsche 911 is and how they were just about to buy one but how now they'll just buy a Clio instead.

We think about things very carefully at Shand, we don't dive into things lightly and when we can't tell the whole story, sometimes things can look a little odd. I accept that this may be one of those occasions.

Importing a product directly from an overseas manufacturer and 'adding value' before selling on to the consumer is not a new business model, and I'll bet every single person on this thread has purchased something in this way. The bicycle consumer is pretty unique (I believe) as there's a small number of real geeks who not only want to know about the complete supply chain, but also want to shout and tell everyone else. I've not really come across them in other sectors, maybe they do exist, I don't know. Perhaps I just don't visit choppingboardtrackworld or pictureframes.net often enough. The thing is, you get to take your choice, you get to decide if buying something direct from the factory with the added risks is something you're happy doing. For some, they'll decide that they'll go that way. Good on them. For others, they'll do the sums, work out how much the extended warranty, custom paint finish, faster delivery, local pre-sales and after-sales care, fitting of headsets and BB etc, availability of spares etc is worth to them, and they'll make a decision. But, and here's the rub, I would bet that almost all of our customers who buy this bike will never have even thought about Alibaba or AliExpress or (shock horror) even know about STW. As is evidenced by just about every thread on this forum that mentions us, STW forum regulars are just not our type of customer (that sounded wrong, I meant that we're not their type of bike company). Also, we'll sell full bikes to riders who can't or don't want to build a bike themselves. That can be a deal breaker to some.

I am slightly surprised and perhaps a little worried about the comments regarding devaluing the brand. I don't really understand that. We still design, manufacture, paint and assemble the vast majority of our bikes in house. At the moment, that one carbon bike is the only thing we don't make. I hadn't considered how adding this bike would somehow lessen or cancel out all the other stuff we do. Someone commented that they were reconsidering buying a UK built Stoater from us in light of this new bike. That comment bothered me and I brought it up at work earlier. I think it was just a stupid, ill-informed comment to make but it bothered me more than I expected it to.

UK manufactured carbon frames (as Mike already commented) can be made here. It's something that we are working on right now. But it takes a lot of time and a lot of money. And when we do it, I guarantee, there'll be a thread on here about how expensive they are compared to Asian imported frames and why don't we just import something from China, paint it and sell it for a third of the price!

A last point as this is getting very long. I am passionate about manufacturing here in the UK. That's one of the biggest reasons I do what I do, I want to make stuff and I want to employ people who want to make stuff. The truth is, it's really hard. Like really, really hard. I want to build a better company for everyone involved at Shand and if that means looking elsewhere for revenue streams to help keep the workshop lights on so we can carry on making stuff, then I'll explore every avenue possible.

There's a lot more to this direction we're heading in than this one bike. It'll take time to come to fruition and hopefully it might bring some of the doubters round. Perhaps it'll all make sense at some point.

I'm unlikely to comment again on this thread (I really would like it to die!) but if people who were thinking about a Shand but are now unsure for whatever reason, please contact me directly and I'll be happy to talk through things on the phone or email.
ton

Post by ton »

a shand is still on my 'to try' list, regardless of all this nonsense. smart looking bikes, a tad pricey but certain bikes/brands are worth paying a bit more for i think.

money is no use unless it is being spent.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

That Shand post says a lot, and in not saying a few certain things basically confirms that the frame is all but identical to the one people have been talking about.

I don't have any feelings on it either way. But it was telling that they didn't actually bother to address the main point.

Edit - ...and for what it's worth, I think I'd fit their "wouldn't buy from the original manufacturer, but would buy from them for the warranty etc", so I'd guess they're probably right there. Not that I have any plans to buy a Shand any time soon... as much as I like Ian B's Lancia. :)
Pat

Post by Pat »

It's an interesting reply and standpoint, as well as a good go at justification, but like most people on the forums apparently, I don't buy it.
I've followed Shand on Instagram for a while, and as I'm not a social media obsessed teenager, that's praise in itself.....I only follow about 5 people/brands.
I retire in a few short years and so I've been looking at custom,'boutique' bikes, to treat myself to, and shand was definately on my radar, but this has put me off a bit.
Anyway, good luck to them, I'm sure there are reasons for doing it, none of them are my business. :cool:
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

I am slightly surprised and perhaps a little worried about the comments regarding devaluing the brand. I don't really understand that. ..... I hadn't considered how adding this bike would somehow lessen or cancel out all the other stuff we do.
Maybe because your area of professional expertise is welding steel tubes and not marketing?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

shand was definately on my radar, but this has put me off a bit.
In what way has this changed the quality of the hand-built, hand-finished steel frames? Surely if this move keeps his business viable until you're ready to buy that's a good thing.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

I'm sure he's a nice bloke and all but I don't think he comes over well in that reply.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Like Scotroutes I don't see how it would make any difference to whether I would buy a Shand steel or not. They are different.

Seven years ago I bought a NOS 2007 carbon Titus frameset from Aviemore. At the time Titus (Arizona not Doncaster) were ti builders but they had some carbon frames manufactures in the Far East which they finished up and painted in USA. It was some fancy exogrid technology. Managed a hundred miles on it Monday and will ride it until it breaks.

Not a lot different to what Shand are doing from what I understand. Good luck to them but I am unlikely to be a customer because I cannot imagine spending a lot of money on a carbon mtb frame at my age. Would make no difference to my decision to buy a steel Shand though.

(A bit off topic)
I did consider a Shand last year but in the end went to a local builder, Sword Cycles, who built me an 853 frame with Lauf Forks. Tim used to work for Mercian Cycles building frames for 10 years and I was happy with his work and the price. The bike was excellent on Tour Aotearoa earlier this year and was also built with maybe another tilt at TD in the future. (A bit off topic)

I was in his shop last week and he had a 953, carbon fork, Rohloff frame, Enve wheels and bits, dynamo hub with belt drive build that was almost finished (on his Instagram account). Didn't ask the price of that one!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHJgJ9Qj5xv ... wordcycles

http://swordcycles.co.uk/mountain/ Other colours available!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I can see both (or perhaps that should be all) sides to this. There's always going to be more people who don't want to buy a handbuilt, custom frame than those who do, so trying to open up your market to the majority while still servicing the minority, makes perfect financial sense.

I can also see why people feel that this move has in someway diluted the brand / name. For some, it seems to be more about the fact Shand have chosen to use a readily available frame which flies in the face of the ethos they believe Shand stand for. For others, costing seems to be the issue and they're annoyed that someone has the cheek to invest time, money and effort in the hope of making a worthwhile return.

If I'd faced the same situation, I'd have probably done something similar BUT, I'd have branded the carbon / far east frames under a different name in the hope of leaving the Shand name untainted. Think I'd have called the new frames 'Shandy' and marketed them directly to IT consultants living in the SE ... they are lightweight after all* :wink:

*No offence.
May the bridges you burn light your way
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Can't beat up a company for chasing profit, that's the nature of the game

But rebranding a bike that is at the generic end of the market with a brand that focuses on the special/custom/bespoke end of the market feels slightly at odds

You get aftersales etc, but you don't really get their input and skills like you would with another of their products
cycleofaddiction

Post by cycleofaddiction »

The one on the Chinese website does have 3 bottle bosses on the down tube!
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I can see both (or perhaps that should be all) sides to this. There's always going to be more people who don't want to buy a handbuilt, custom frame than those who do, so trying to open up your market to the majority while still servicing the minority, makes perfect financial sense.

I can also see why people feel that this move has in someway diluted the brand / name. For some, it seems to be more about the fact Shand have chosen to use a readily available frame which flies in the face of the ethos they believe Shand stand for. For others, costing seems to be the issue and they're annoyed that someone has the cheek to invest time, money and effort in the hope of making a worthwhile return.

If I'd faced the same situation, I'd have probably done something similar BUT, I'd have branded the carbon / far east frames under a different name in the hope of leaving the Shand name untainted. Think I'd have called the new frames 'Shandy' and marketed them directly to IT consultants living in the SE ... they are lightweight after all* :wink:

*No offence.
I've been staying shtum and watching this with interest. This summarises I think my thoughts on the matter. As a different brand, it works well - like Lexus & Toyota for example Image
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

I just don't get the 'having a go at Shand' thing..
They're running a business & have tried something slightly different.. It might be part of a bigger plan, who knows!

They both seem like good guys & their core business is making great bikes here in the uk, imo they should be applauded!

I'd love a Stoater one day! :cool:
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

I'm not sure how many folk who are expressing reservations about this latest move are 'having a go at Shand'. I am a fan of Shand to a certain extent and wish them well. I twice looked into buying one, but for one reason or another it didn't happen. Neither time was it due to any perceived failing on their/his part.
Now my circumstances have changed and it is unlikely that I will be looking to spend a Shand amount of money on a new frame any time soon, but if I was looking to do so, this carbon adventure would give me pause for thought. I'll try to explain.
Shand is 3 things to me.
Hand made in Scotland.
Well thought out design and material choice (more specifically steel).
A 'Luxury' brand/name/ethos.
This new Carbon adventure is none of those things IMHO. It strikes me as a dumbing down of the brand. I can't think of a specific analogy that completely fits but any luxury goods maker selling something that is badge engineered and out of the normal range would be similar.
It is not my company, and I'm not in any position to say it's wrong or unnecessary. It is totally up to the owners as to how they proceed with the business, but I just worry that it is not a good move. Let's hope for the sake of Shand I'm either wrong or if I'm right they manage to overcome it.