Solstice plans?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Solstice plans?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I feel like I really should do something to mark the solstice but it's lashing down, windy and surprisingly cold. These things aren't any reason not to venture out usually but I can't bring myself to mark the summer solstice under such conditions :roll:

Anyone got anything planned? Dancing naked round a pile of bricks in the back garden?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Ray Young

Re: Solstice plans?

Post by Ray Young »

Was hoping to go to Overpawhope bothy on the new inbred for a fire and a wee dram, unfortunately things have got in the way so am now working on redecorating the kitchen :cry:.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Was planning a night ride to the tip of Shetland see the sun set and rise, but it's pretty wet and windy so I think I'll give it a miss. No point in going for the view if its not there :sad:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I rode into work today and got completely soaked. Insoles are out of my shoes and the latter are now stuff with kitchen roll to try and dry them out before I ride home. Grim

Look like the weather will be grim on the way home too, grrrr
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Work today and then watching a load of blokes kick a ball of air on the telly tonight.
Do need to get out soon though even if it's just for an overnight. Last weekend's road/Sustrans tour from Edinburgh to Newcastle isn't as fun as a proper off road adventure..
littlegirlbunny

Post by littlegirlbunny »

Can't be arsked with loading up the bike again, and I'm working late tonight, but might sleep at the top of the field at the back of the house :-bd
Mart

Post by Mart »

Ive got a work team event, so biking over to the venue and having a couple of nights out :-bd
2924 miles per Gallon
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Did my solstice ride yesterday morning taking advantage of the early dawn: DIY 200k audax starting at 4am and didn't need a front light. Took the rear light for the first few hours only because it was road riding and normal people become morons when in cars. Got home for lunch (with homemade macaroons for father's day woohoo!) literally seconds before it started raining. Perfect. :-bd
barney

Post by barney »

Mrs Barney has gone away with work (well that's what she tells me) which means I'm on daddy duty all week, can't even get out on my mid-week social ride!

We might do a garden camp on Friday after brownies though if that counts... :lol:
Wait for me...
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Listening to my wife stress over packing to move :lol:
Trying to ride bikes.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

I was planning to post a picture of the rain on instagram and make a comment about british summer.
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

i need to cut the grass in the garden tonight .... after the last 5 weekends out on teh bike - even i would ride past my "lawn" in search of a better bivvy spot. ....
ajf

Post by ajf »

Yep out tonight straight from work for a bivvy then straight into work in the morning.

Not quite sure the logistics of it all yet, just packed my bags last night so I suppose I need to plan something.

Weather looking great here for a quick overnight stay.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Is that today? Absolutely nothing if that's the case. Wrecked after a training ride yesterday and I can't even bring myself to do a recovery spin.
thedude

Post by thedude »

Driving and parking 10k up the Ridgeway from Avebury then running there for approx 04:00 to have coffee and cold sausage butty.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I got out last night, leaving my house at 9:15pm to catch the sunset at 10 while up a hill. It was then that I decided to press on up another hill in the last of the light, only really needing my light just before 11 for the benefit of traffic only. Great night to be out, very clear with minimal wind (but enough to keep the midges away)
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

though not bike packing related i went up to the midsummer ski at Glencoe mountain (technicaly a couple of days before the solstace but is allways on the closest weekend to the solstice) was dead good fun hot weather and acceptable snow in scotland :P Image
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Oh, didn't notice! I just carried on as normal... Did get very wet cycling home from work though!
MikeOnabike

Post by MikeOnabike »

At 9pm, me and my lady took grabbed the tent, bottle of wine, left over curry, and drove out to the cliffs in south Aberdeenshire. Amazing evening skies, big full moonrise and then very shortly after, sunrise. Woke up early and watched the thousands of guillimots, razorbills, and kittwakes doing their thing for an hour two before heading straight to work for 10. 18 hours of light here in Aberdeen now. Fun to make the best of it for a change!