The 1st Torino-Nice Rally, anyone?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

cyclingtiger

Re: The 1st Torino-Nice Rally, anyone?

Post by cyclingtiger »

Going to have to start a bit of planning for this. Current plan is the lass will drive down with the bikes while I'm doing some silly racing and the I'll fly out on the Monday. 7-8 days riding, a day to get back to Torino and then a couple of days drive home. Possibly a bit of a tight schedule so probably not get to do much in the way of optional extras.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Dave Barter wrote:I've booked my flights. Can't wait!
Me and Stu are booked as well :-bd
jameso

Post by jameso »

Chew wrote:
Dave Barter wrote:I've booked my flights. Can't wait!
Me and Stu are booked as well :-bd
:-bd
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I wish I could join you all for this as it looks like a great ride. Enjoy!

(Not complaint though as have had a good run of extended pass outs recently!)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Best start riding a bike again with a degree of commitment :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
SixPotBelly

Post by SixPotBelly »

Had my flight out booked since March :) Journey home I'll sort out when I get to Nice!

JamesO, do have an idea of expected numbers? Not that it makes any difference to me, I think it'd be fun whether small, medium or large, I'm just curious how many of us there might be.
Ian

Post by Ian »

ianfitz wrote:I wish I could join you all for this as it looks like a great ride. Enjoy!
Ditto. When my sister-in-law announced she was getting married that weekend, I wasn't overly pleased... :roll: :|
jameso

Post by jameso »

SixPotBelly wrote:Had my flight out booked since March :) Journey home I'll sort out when I get to Nice!

JamesO, do have an idea of expected numbers? Not that it makes any difference to me, I think it'd be fun whether small, medium or large, I'm just curious how many of us there might be.
:-bd

Numbers, no idea really - it may have halved now the route profile is public : ) There's a while to go yet and the contact form numbers are steadily rising but I have no idea of how many will actually turn up. Had a fair number of 'in's from Italy, France, Holland and Germany though so whatever the number it should be a good mixed bunch.
SixPotBelly

Post by SixPotBelly »

I'd already converted the original draft Google Maps kml file into a gpx and imported it into something, which spilled the beans on the total climbing. Initially I gulped, but now it's become part of the attraction. Helped by the realisation there'll be 30,000m of descending :)

Great that there's so much interest from other nationalities. That'll add even more flavour to the ride. Roll on September!
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Best start riding a bike again with a degree of commitment :wink:

Bearbones route from 2014 on shopper bike. I am sure there is a promise somewhere to do this?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
gairym

Post by gairym »

Dave Barter wrote:Bearbones route from 2014 on shopper bike. I am sure there is a promise somewhere to do this?
I was discussing this very thing with someone in Tuscany - there was definitely a promise to do that entire route and I've yet to hear of it being done.

I'll be driving down to Turin as it's only a couple of hours from here. I'll be taking the friendliest route to Nice before getting the train back to Turin and it'll take me as many days as it takes.

Thinking of packing extremely light as realistically I'll only camp either if I find the perfect bivi spot or if I'm broken - either way I won't need oodles of gear.

My goal between now and then is to lose the additional 10kg that I'm currently sporting - all the planning and über light kit choices in the world won't make up being a fat lad at the minute (I've now ceased all craft beer consumption which will make a big difference).

Really looking forward to this one!
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

gairym wrote:
I've now ceased all craft beer consumption which will make a big difference.
Yeah, but ask yourself if all the pain is really worth it.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Dan_K wrote:Yeah, but ask yourself if all the pain is really worth it.
I'm currently at just over 100 new craft beers tasted this year to date so I think my liver will thank me for the rest (as well as my waistline) :???:
Crazy English

Post by Crazy English »

Flights booked and paid for,
Stanstead to Turin - Nice to Stanstead.

It does seem like a long way to go for some BB200 training though :)
Wixey

Post by Wixey »

I'm in on this 8o) and looking forward to it!!! - I'm thinking logistics now and see some of you guys are getting flights from Stanstead. Is this with Ryan Air? - I see they have a flight for 25 quid...

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of transporting bikes with those cowboys....
Chew

Post by Chew »

Wixey wrote:I'm in on this 8o) and looking forward to it!!! - I'm thinking logistics now and see some of you guys are getting flights from Stanstead. Is this with Ryan Air? - I see they have a flight for 25 quid...

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of transporting bikes with those cowboys....
Its the airport who handle all of the luggage so it doesnt really matter who you fly with.
Cant report any issues from when we went to Tuscany, except someone took a liking to Hux's tools and helped themselves (which could happen with any other luggage)
I believe Stansted is the only place to fly direct to Turin. We're flying to Milan and then either riding over or jumping on the train.
Crazy English

Post by Crazy English »

I'm flying with BA as they count the bike as check in luggage as long as it doesnt go over the weight limit. ( or so i'm told)
ryan air charge quite a bit more for a bike.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Think this might have been covered previously but just to see where people are at.....

What sort of bikes are you all planning on taking?

I had been hatching expensive plans to buy a new 'gravel bike' (well a frame and then built it up from spare bits - was thinking the new Cotic 'Escapade') but I'm now thinking instead that I'll try and keep my marriage intact and just use what I've got.

This means I'll likely use my fully rigid On-one 'Lurcher' possibly with some nice gravel-friendly tyres (been hearing good things about the Clement 'X’Plor MSO' 40mm) on my 29er rims.

Means I'll have a ~10kg bike (unloaded obviously) with skinny tyres, a triple chainset and flat bars (would love some Jones' but can't justify the price).

Do people think this will be suitable?

Is everyone else taking a cx/gravel bike?

Please advise.....
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm thinking of taking my new Disc Trucker but failing that, I'll likely just take my Inbred.
S.Softie

Post by S.Softie »

Jon wrote:I'm flying with BA as they count the bike as check in luggage as long as it doesnt go over the weight limit. ( or so i'm told)
I flew BA to Pisa for Tuscany Trail and there was no charge for the bike bag - weight limit for checked luggage was 23kg so not as much as many (weight limit for hand luggage also 23kg).
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Rigid 29er for me with Conti Race Kings. Not going for speed more for comfort and the views
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
gentjim

Post by gentjim »

Can I ask when people are booking their return tickets for...?!

Clearly everyone's riding their own pace, but wanted to sense check that I'm not being too ambitious with a flight back on the evening of the 12th from Nice.

Starting to get a bit nervous that I ought to push the date back. I think James O initially said it could be done in between 3 & 7 days, so I simply went for 7... Not exactly scientific but was trying to minimise the time off work while accounting for the fact that I'm not an athlete.
gairym

Post by gairym »

I'm thinking that I'll likely take 6-7 days and then anything less is a bonus.

In proper hills I usually average 10kph and so 6 or 7 days of 100-120km per day seems achievable without breaking myself.

If the legs are feeling good then I'll ride further each day but better wait and see about that.....
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think Chew and me fly back on the 13th. In the usual style, we don't appear to have any real plan or schedule, just see how we get on :-bd
cyclingtiger

Post by cyclingtiger »

gairym wrote: Is everyone else taking a cx/gravel bike?

Please advise.....
29er with skinnyish tyres. I'll probably run the pressures moderately high and keep the lock out on most of the time. Not ideal but it's what I have and it will do the job after a fashion.