For Sale: Surly Pugsley - the Andean pass stormer

Buy, sell, swap.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

mikehowarth

For Sale: Surly Pugsley - the Andean pass stormer

Post by mikehowarth »

Are you looking for something different?

A bike which will make you ride faster, enabling you to shred the gnar whilst hanging with your bros?

Something that will instantly make you looker cooler in a plaid shirt, and your beard grow fuller and thicker….

I’m afraid to say this might not be the bike for you. I hear there is a new wheel size for that ;-)

The Surly Pugsley is a timeless classic, the original fat bike even, produced at a time when fat bikes were neither hip or cool, they were utilitarian and ridden for fun in the snow in the Alaskan winter.

Pugsley owners are visionaries, they were drinking real ale before craft beer became a ‘thing’, they have a refined and cultured palette, they can appreciate a porter or a stout as much as a punchy IPA.

Like a fine wine, this bike has a deep and rich history, having originally ridden the Grenzsteintrophy in Germany it later levitated across the Atlantic ocean to roam across the Bolivian Altiplano riding up 6,000m volcanoes, the salt flats of Salar De Uyuni and Copiasa before saw toothing its way across the Andes through Peru, Ecuador and Colombia crushing every Andean pass in its path before finally coming to rest in the UK.

Having ridden the Pugsley across pretty much every terrain imaginable I can honestly say this bike is the ATB we were promised at the dawn of mountain biking….some may even call it omniterra.

If this bike is so good why am I selling it?

My plans to get back on the road quickly haven’t materialised, I’ve already been back in the UK a year, it looks like it may be a good chunk of this year before I’m back on the road again. The reality of my current living arrangements mean that not only am in a terrible place for riding for the type of riding this bike demands, I don’t physically have the space to store this bike any longer.

Rather than putting the bike out to pasture, it deserves passing on to another owner with ideas of a long and exotic ride in a far flung location.

The bike was built up with the idea of using it as a burly off road touring bike and it rode flawlessly without any issue. The part list is pretty high end, I hope that it catches someones eye as it is a joy to ride, and grin inducing.

Build

Large Frame (19")
Jones Loop Bars (660mm)
Thomson Stem (90mm)
Ergon GP1 Biokork
Avid BB7s (with Speed Dial 7 levers)
Chris King Headset
Phil Wood Bottom Bracket
White Industries ENO Mountain Cranks (175mm)
White Industries ENO Chain Ring (36T)
Hope F20 Pedals
Surly Large Marge Rims (36H)
Front - Surly Nate with Schmidt SON Dynamo Hub, 200mm rotor
Rear - On One Floater with Rohloff Speedhub (500/17) with 160mm rotor
Syntace Seatpost
Brooks Swift Saddle

I’ll also include a custom frame bag with the bike along with Phil Wood BB Tool, and any sets of BB7 pads I have left.

Pics

More pics
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bvwbirw9ok4e ... 9TA5a?dl=0

Bad Bits

Given the bike’s history, its neither pristine or immaculate. You'll understand this, after all that is the rough and tumble of bikepacking especially in remote areas.

It was ridden solidly for over 10 months, it has carried framebags and bikepacking luggage for the majority of that time so the paintwork is looking a little dull in places and understandably has the odd scratch and scuff here and there.

New Bits

Since returning to England I have since replaced a number of the components I was unable to source in South America.

White Industry ENO Chain Ring
Phil Wood Bottom Bracket Bearings

For a new buyer I'll also replace:

Rohloff Shifter (plus new cable)
Rohloff Cog
Ergons
Rear Monkey bone brake adapter

They're all a bit battered and bruised.

Upcoming maintenance

The Rohloff oil was last changed 2500 kms ago, therefore it has another 2500kms of riding to go before the next oil change is due.

I'm happy to do a fresh oil change or talk you through it, if you're unfamiliar with Rohloffs.

Drive train is essentially as new, and there is plenty of rubber left on those fat tyres.

Price

I'm looking for: £1250

There is some movement in the price.

If there was sufficient interest in the parts I'd also consider splitting

Disclaimer

The seller can take no responsibility for a desire never to return home, for countless marriage proposals which could see you live life in a remote rural community away from civilisation speaking a foreign tongue.
Last edited by mikehowarth on Fri May 27, 2016 3:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Teetosugars

Re: For Sale: Surly Pugsley - the Andean pass stormer

Post by Teetosugars »

*Sighs*
If only Mike.. If only ..
Good luck with the sale mate.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Deserves a new home for that epic advert :-bd , a bike to tour the world on,
Good luck with your sale, if I had a decent liver or kidney to sell,I'd be up for it :mrgreen:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

She'd kill me :o :lol:

It's not my beard that needs to be fuller but what's on the top!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
mikehowarth

Post by mikehowarth »

Thanks guys, part exchange welcomed.

Apparently this bike coverts around 5 llamas based on my last sales discussions in Peru.

If you've got some llamas....lets talk :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If you've got some llamas....lets talk :lol:
Careful what you wish for :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Pat

Post by Pat »

Woo-hoo....laamey motherfucker!

What a heartwarming advert.....I wish I could just pay you the money to look after it for you until it went for another epic adventure......just for giggles, what sort of part ex are you interested in?
mikehowarth

Post by mikehowarth »

I do love a bit of gold laaaaamey, I'm also partial to alpaca if you have any of those going round.

Otherwise talk to me goose.....
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

Pretty much the ultimate spec pug that.
Poss interested in the drivetrain if you split, and would be keen to hear what you are after px wise. I don't have any gold lame or lamas though.
mikehowarth

Post by mikehowarth »

Yep its a pretty niche build, but for someone with plans for some big dirt road adventures I don't think you could go for wrong - but I would say that ;-)

I'm certainly open to negotiation, so if you have something in mind feel free to ping me a PM.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I'd absolutely love this bike, but there's no way I could do it justice. It'd be like keeping a border collie in a small town house. Yes it can run round the garden, but it's not the same is it?
Hope you find a suitable owner!
mikehowarth

Post by mikehowarth »

Couldn't have put it better myself Northwind.

Every time I walk past this bike, I can't help think someone else out there should be enjoying this bike rather than it sat gathering dust.
mikehowarth

Post by mikehowarth »

Now considering splitting.

Shout up if there is anything anyone is interested in from this build.

Cheers

Mike
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Surely there is someone who has space to store it for you? I have space in a very very secure shed in Sheffield if that's any use.

It seems a shame for you to part ways. Even if it will be a while before you are back on the road surely still owning this machine will be a lifeline for your sanity.

My camper works like that for me. It's on the drive and I know that if something goes badly wrong I can jump in and drive away to somewhere tranquil for a while. Just knowing it is parked and ready is the best stress management ever!