Decamping

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Re: Decamping

Post by Richard G »

I'm always racing, even when I'm chilling.
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

Not good to always be going flat out.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I live my life 1/4 mile at a time...

...like, 400 times over. :D
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

:-bd :mrgreen:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Careful :wink:

May the bridges you burn light your way
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

That looks like a valid decamping strategy to me.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Careful :wink:

Yeah – especially as I only found out the other week that they have basically single use multi-plate clutches, where there multi-plates basically weld themselves together. That and the heat on the tyres make them expand – thus effectively being part of the calculated gearing system!

All a bit mental these dragsters…..Image
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

im pretty sure from gregs description thats what he looks like when hes setting up camp.

bike to bed in one explosive movement.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Trail-rat wrote:im pretty sure from gregs description thats what he looks like when hes setting up camp.

bike to bed in one explosive movement.
I have been known to fall asleep mid conversation after a few days in a multi day race. Schoolhouse bothy in 2013 HTR being a prime example.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yeah – especially as I only found out the other week that they have basically single use multi-plate clutches, where there multi-plates basically weld themselves together. That and the heat on the tyres make them expand – thus effectively being part of the calculated gearing system!
Very true Zippy. The clutch on a fueler is one of the most important pieces in the puzzle of how to transmit 10,000 horsepower to the ground - learning to 'tune' the clutch takes years. We used 'lock-up's' which allow the clutch to slip at first, then as rpm increases they begin the bite fully before eventually locking up completely ... helps keep the rear tyre from breaking traction.

Okay, as you were.
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

I like to try and keep things as efficient as possible and I have little interest in racing, it's simply priorities.

I like to be able to set up camp as fast as possible as when I'm tired and its been a long day, I just want to get some rest, not spend 40 mins adjusting guylines. If there's no rush then it simply leaves more time to relax and take in the view and eat.

In the morning I'm very similar. I like to get it all away in a quick effective manner to leave more time for riding, no time constraints its just for the sheer enjoyment of being on the bike. I often skip breakfast at camp and try to set off to find somewhere to eat.

Ofcourse all this goes out the window when I try to break camp early and my partner (whom I share the tent with) wants a lie in :lol:

A main reason for pitching and breaking faster is poor weather, I have a tendency of preparing for poor conditions. Most trips are dry and lovely but when the heavens do open then nothing changes during setup as my "Technique" is the same none the less.

I do miss cooking more outdoors though as lately my fast process involves cold meals (or a trip to the pub) but I find I enjoy cooking more when hiking than bikepacking....maybe its the distraction of "I wonder what's down that trail"
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I try my best not to get out from under the tarp when it's raining... problem is, there's really not the space to roll everything up / get changed and stay under the tarp.

Or maybe I just lack the skills.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

If it's raining you're going to get wet anyway, so why fight it. The sooner you deal with it, move on, and get wet, the easier it is.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Once I'm fully kitted up you could hit me with a full power jet from a hose and I'd still be fine. What I specifically don't want to do is get wet under my waterproofs, or get my sleeping bag wet.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Once I'm fully kitted up you could hit me with a full power jet from a hose and I'd still be fine. What I specifically don't want to do is get wet under my waterproofs, or get my sleeping bag wet.
Sleep in yur waterproof ... it's the obvious answer. :geek:
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

put waterproof on.

move from under tarp

roll sleeping bag up under tarp.

pack under tarp while you stay outside tarp.

place now sealed dry bags on bike

take down tarp.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Can't really put waterproofs on without getting the rest of my clothes on first, and that's what I struggle to have the space to do under my tarp.
Bearbonesnorm wrote:Sleep in yur waterproof ... it's the obvious answer. :geek:
I actually slept in all my clothes other than my waterproof on the WRT. Was MUCH faster getting packed up, though I had to pull my padded shorts around my thighs to avoid getting crotch rot. TMI?
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

what are you using for a tarp ?

i can do it under a bicycle 3.5. Much smaller and it must be a smiths salt and shake packet or something.

i tend to put on my skins - then pull my riding clothes back over the top for sleeping - keeps em dry/dries them out without chilling me.

then in the morning do the reverse.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

bicycle 3.5. You must be a shitload more flexible than I am. I can barely fit under mine to sleep, let alone have space to sit up and get changed.

I've just ordered a slightly bigger one which I'm hoping will help fix that particular issue.
Last edited by Richard G on Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've managed to do it (get clothed) under a Rig3.5 with two of us under there. I'm no longer as flexible as I was either.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I can only assume you've found a method of pitching it that's much higher off the floor than I manage then.
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

we had 2 of us under a bicycle 7 last week.

i actually thought there was less space than under my 3.5 as well as it being alot more of a pain in arse to pitch.

are you using the attached peg out points - if so youll never get it off the floor.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I have cord on them, though not a lot of it. I can't really get the peak much higher than the height of my poles at the end of the day though (short of attaching to trees).

Would be interested in seeing some pics of your setups if you have any.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Richard G wrote:I can only assume you've found a method of pitching it that's much higher off the floor than I manage then.
We have a pair of home made poles very roughly 105cm and 70cm long. Usually the tail end is pegged down using the rear corner tabs and the front corners have lines attached so that when pegged out the corners of the tarp are 20cm or so off the ground. Basically the "Dropped tail A-frame" that Stu describes here and shown in the last photo -http://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.co ... guide.html but with the front pole very close to the tarp as in the next to last photo.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

how i tend to use it . - if its swirling winds ill drop the front a bit by letting the pole out further from the tarp.

mat in diagonal so head is closes to the fully dropped corner. feet out between the high corner and the pole - let the bivvy bag do its thing. keep my upper body and kit dry.

as said earlier - repeatability is key - ive put that one above up about 10 times . its quick and its easy , i also know the singlesided pitch just incase i cant get the above up but unlike some i dont know a heap of different tarps and knots .... i just know what works for me in most situations.....

prior to that i used my bike and bike wheels instead of poles .... it wasnt so good - but still workable.

and if it all goes peat tong ill just roll up inside the thing and hope the tornado passes shortly.