Suggestions for a longer Scotland trip?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Endless Trails

Suggestions for a longer Scotland trip?

Post by Endless Trails »

I'm planning a couple of bikepacking trips this summer and one of them will probably be to Scotland for about 2 weeks. The plan is to fly to Edinburgh, visit some friends and then head north. I've been to Scotland a couple of times before, but only in the winter for climbing.

I've looked a bit at the Highlandtrail 550 which looks like a good start, but I'd like to head through the Cairngorms and Loch Lomond aswell, any suggestion for routes? I don't mind if it's a bit rough but long hike-a-bike sections isn't that fun :)

Also, the Highlandtrail website mentions that the deer stalking season starts July 1st, how much of a "problem" is this in July? I will probably go at the end of June as I got a longer trip in northern Sweden as well that will probably have to be done in late July at the earliest because of the snow but the schedule is a bit full already :)
Richpips

Re: Suggestions for a longer Scotland trip?

Post by Richpips »

Hi, look up the Capital Trail which is near Edinburgh.

Loch Lomond ~ West Highland Way. It will be busy with walkers and the riding isn;t that good.

There may be a shooting season, but access is allowed all year round in Scotland.

Beware the Scottish midge though.
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

I was watching Alastairs spot for the last few days and realised if you were to tour loch lomond and the whw once your at Tyndrum you have a few options. You could continue on the whw or take the start of the ht550 until loch Rannoch. From there you can take the road back towards Blair Atholl to do the cairngorm loop. Along loch Rannoch and Tummel is really pleasent and easy going. After that you can pick up the ht550 in lagan using national bike network or head back to Braemar and do the tail of coast to coast route.

As a personal rule, I don't go near the north west in July and August. Heat, wet and a breeze less day and the midge would be truely awful.

As for stalking, if going through an estate stick to well used paths and roads, wear fluro or bright colours and you will be fine. Or if its dUsk turn your lights on early. Just don't head off looking for single track on an estate.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

It would be possible to link this lot into a big loop -

West Highland Way
Great Glen Way
Cairngorm's Loop
Rob Roy Way
tanadog

Post by tanadog »

Last August I rode from Fort William via Kinlochewe & Laggan to Aviemore using the "old" HT route, did the inner Cairngorm loop, hooked back into the HT to the Great Glen, did the HT440 route (using a detour via Gairloach/ Redpoint) back to the WHW and rode down to Loch Lomond and popped over to Aberfoyle to finish. 10 days all up. Stayed mostly in SYHA, and a couple of bothys, so avoided the worst of midges.
Endless Trails

Post by Endless Trails »

Thanks alot for the suggestions for routes, I will try and track down some GPX tracks and see where that leads me.

Regarding the midges, how bad are they really? I come from Sweden and are used to hiking in the mountains here in Scandinavia where we have alot of mosquitos but as long as you stay above the tree line you are usually fine as long as you keep moving or there's any wind. When ever I travel people keep telling me their midges are horrible but compared to Sweden and Norway... Well... Anybody here been to northern scandinavia, alaska or somewhere similar and can make an comparison? If it's really that bad I might have to postpone the trip, late May seems to be the best time from the information I've found. Maybe something for next year then
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Endless Trails wrote:Thanks alot for the suggestions for routes, I will try and track down some GPX tracks and see where that leads me.

Regarding the midges, how bad are they really? I come from Sweden and are used to hiking in the mountains here in Scandinavia where we have alot of mosquitos but as long as you stay above the tree line you are usually fine as long as you keep moving or there's any wind. When ever I travel people keep telling me their midges are horrible but compared to Sweden and Norway... Well... Anybody here been to northern scandinavia, alaska or somewhere similar and can make an comparison? If it's really that bad I might have to postpone the trip, late May seems to be the best time from the information I've found. Maybe something for next year then
I've been to northern Scandinavia and both Canada and Alaska. Though it was September in Alaska, on our first trip the nights weren't freezing.
Nothing I came across compares to midges. Having said that, in about 12 trips I've never been to Scotland in July, probably the worst time concerning midges.
I wouldn't postpone a trip just because of them, but you should go prepared. Get your mind set and a midge proof headnet, thin long clothes (and smidge or skin so soft will help further).
When you're cycling you just get a face full of them now and then (free meal), but as you're moving to fast, they'll not be bothering you.

Don't know how much this is worth:
https://www.smidgeup.com/midge-forecast/
But it surely is funny
Gari

Post by Gari »

I lived in Norway for a few years and experienced nothing like the highland midge, even with regular paddling trips to the Narvik/Abisko regions. We buggers they are, completely ruin my summer as they really go for me!!!
I find the worst is camping as they are everywhere, in the food etc. Fine during the day when moving.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highland_midge

Humidity below 75% ? In Scotland???? :???:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

https://www.smidgeup.com/midge-forecast/

I'd give the West Highland Way a miss - its busy and has some pretty unpleasant riding. From Edinburgh head north over the bridge - its possible to thread a reasonable route through Fife and Perthshire mixing back roads and trails to Pitlochry, head up to Blair Athol along the Tummel riverside path and then get stuck into the Cairngorms via the Tilt or Gaik
Mart

Post by Mart »

whitestone wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highland_midge

Humidity below 75% ? In Scotland???? :???:
'most active just before dawn and sunset but bite at any time of day' - anytime really :lol:
2924 miles per Gallon
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

The west highland way getting a bit of bad press here - I'd say the only really poor bit is a few miles at the top of loch lomond, apart from that its a cracking ride with some great scenery and is very well serviced with places to stay/eat etc.