2016 Highland Trail route.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Re: 2016 Highland Trail route.

Post by fatbikephil »

The Rosehall shop is now shut unfortunately so nowt shop wise betwen Contin and Drumbeg. NW outdoors supplied me with gells, gas and a replacement set of gaitors last year as mine had got shredded by that point.... They also have an ace cafe upstairs but the one on the seafront is better as you can keep an eye on your bike
Callander Steve

Post by Callander Steve »

Anyone thought of warming up the guys in the pizza shop in Ft Augustus for Sat night? I arrived there around 9 last year and they were grumpy as hell with ht riders turning up late. Might be polite to give 'em a heads up.
Nikk

Post by Nikk »

Callander Steve wrote:Anyone thought of warming up the guys in the pizza shop in Ft Augustus for Sat night? I arrived there around 9 last year and they were grumpy as hell with ht riders turning up late. Might be polite to give 'em a heads up.
I thought about that for a bunch of places en route. But then where does 'pre-planned' start? Phoning hotels to tell them you may be through on Thursday? Maybe part of the challenge is taking things as we find them?
Nikk

Post by Nikk »

Some spam for my blog post http://niksbikingblog.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... recce.html

I recced the first 70 (and last 45) miles so you don't have to :-)

Also posted here at http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... =10&t=7692
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I recced the first 70 (and last 45) miles so you don't have to
I'm planning to do pretty much the same, but in reverse, from Fri 27th.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Following Huw and seeing go past Achmelvich... I remember a little shop at the caravan site that does chippies too as of 2007 ...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Nikk wrote:Some spam for my blog post http://niksbikingblog.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... recce.html

I recced the first 70 (and last 45) miles so you don't have to :-)

Also posted here at http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... =10&t=7692
Glad you like my day 1 alternative Nikk, I'm chuffed Alan went with it and gutted I won't make it to the group start. I hope the weather and trails are as dry come the 27th!
Callander Steve

Post by Callander Steve »

Nikk wrote:
Callander Steve wrote:Anyone thought of warming up the guys in the pizza shop in Ft Augustus for Sat night? I arrived there around 9 last year and they were grumpy as hell with ht riders turning up late. Might be polite to give 'em a heads up.
I thought about that for a bunch of places en route. But then where does 'pre-planned' start? Phoning hotels to tell them you may be through on Thursday? Maybe part of the challenge is taking things as we find them?
I don't mean to book a table! More of a courtesy to let them know to anticipate a number of hungry mtb'ers turning up late on a Saturday evening. At that stage in the proceedings there could be a number all turning up individually, but at around the time they may otherwise expect to be quietening down. It would be good if we didn't end up causing friction with the locals.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Wouldn't bother, they've been grumpy anytime I've gone through there.