Tyre Assistance... Dorset Gravel Dash

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Re: Tyre Assistance... Dorset Gravel Dash

Post by Richard G »

Aye, is terrain dependant though obviously. Spend a lot of time on fireroad / road, then higher pressures are generally best. Lower for rocky surfaces etc.

Point being, I can get away with running my draggier tyres at much higher pressures (allowing smoothness on rough terrain) which leaves me wondering if having to run these lower means I'm not really getting that much of an advantage out of them.

(I might not be making much sense, I'm currently heavily medicated on painkillers and alcohol after pulling / tearing / dislocating something in my shoulder blade whilst riding earlier)
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Just measured... was running 14psi by the time I'd finished letting air out. I just don't think that's going to work out (too much risk of burping / rim damage).
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Can anybody email me a copy of the 2016 GPX for this route? I won't be around to do the event, but would like to ride it sometime over the summer.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Point being, I can get away with running my draggier tyres at much higher pressures (allowing smoothness on rough terrain) which leaves me wondering if having to run these lower means I'm not really getting that much of an advantage out of them.
Remember, there's also weight to consider and generally, the draggier tyre will be heavier.

Am I not right in thinking that the route is fairly non-technical? If so, can I suggest you stop panicking, fit whatever tyres have the prettiest tread pattern / sidewall adornment and just get on with it :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/1072601256

As for tyres, it's looking largely irrelevant as right now unless my back / shoulder sorts itself I doubt I'll be able to do it anyway. On the original subject, it was mainly about finding tyres that were as fast as I could get away with so I could keep up with a couple of fast friends on their super light CX bikes.

I was able to handle the gap ride I did just fine yesterday on what was fitted, so I suspect that I'd be just fine on two crossmarks (as long as it doesn't rain too much). Shame to have wasted a chunk of money on this Speed King though. :(
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

it was mainly about finding tyres that were as fast as I could get away with so I could keep up with a couple of fast friends on their super light CX bikes.
In that case, you'll have an advantage over them on the rougher sections, no matter what you fit. I always found my 29er with 2.2" Race Kings wasn't really any slower on tarmac than my crosser fitted with 40C On-One gravel tyres ... but it went down hill much better :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Gari

Post by Gari »

2.1 nanos would be good if you can get them. Even the non folders are pretty light/supple.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I still recall getting dirty looks from CXers for daring to pass them as they teetered down the descents on the last of these "multi discipline" rides I did. :lol:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Went out on a full set crossmarks yesterday and was just fine. Properly rapid on the smoother stuff, and managed to handle even some fairly nasty descents pretty well (did parts of the Afan red and blue trails). Wasn't comfortable on the bigger hits, but I'm still alive. Wont be anything even close to as gnarly on this weekend's ride.

Of course, they don't grip for sh*t when it gets a bit slimy, but I guess I'll just have to bail in an emergency. :lol:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Richard G wrote:Went out on a full set crossmarks yesterday and was just fine. Properly rapid on the smoother stuff, and managed to handle even some fairly nasty descents pretty well (did parts of the Afan red and blue trails). Wasn't comfortable on the bigger hits, but I'm still alive. Wont be anything even close to as gnarly on this weekend's ride.

Of course, they don't grip for sh*t when it gets a bit slimy, but I guess I'll just have to bail in an emergency. :lol:
Having used these, aspens and Ikons quite a bit. I prefer Ikons over the other two, aspens seem to have better grip on slime than crossmarks for me.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I'm OK with the lack of grip; my primary concern is going to be speed this weekend.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Got through the ride just fine.

...well, technically I crashed once, but that wasn't the fault of the tyres, that was the fault of following the line of a fat bike and realising too late that a serious rut for me was nothing to him. :lol:

I also wore my Bear Bones shirt with pride, and talked you all up as a great bunch to the more bikepacking leaning riders I encountered (not hard to tell who they were, wildcat and alpkit gear was fairly common.

Brilliant ride, would heartily recommend it to others. Even though I did nearly die on a couple of descents because I forgot to put my sensible head on.
mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

I also wore my Bear Bones shirt with pride
Was it you I followed down the singletrack loop? I only saw the one BB jersey.

Lovely day out, even if it felt a bit like hard work at the end! I had a puncture just before the hill forts and may have pushed a bit hard trying to make up time on the long run into Wareham. The slog across to Old Harry rocks just saw me steadily lose the puff to maintain a high speed.

High points:
-The views along the opening/final stretches
- Ice cream in wareham
- Bacon cake
- Cheery company
- The weather

Lows
- Sandy puddles on the way to puddletown leading to 50 miles of squeaky chain
- Nearly getting decapitated by the fallen tree coming down into shillingstone
- The ever-more-bumpy field edge near the party/festival on the way home
- An especially vicious patch of nettles that stayed with me well into Monday after the others had faded.
- Not being able to stay for the prizes!

Charlie organises a good event, highly recommended if you want a long, scenic tour of that end of Dorset!
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Almost certainly, definitely didn't see anyone else wearing one. Silver GT, red camelbak.

...and yeah, the views were utterly incredible. Stopping for massive garlic bread (they basically cut a bloomer in half and covered it with cheese, bacon and garlic butter) at the pub half way was another high point. :cool:

That tree was pretty scary, only just got flat against the bike. My low point was definitely the sandy section near the end. Screw that when you're 90 miles in and utterly toasted.

That party section was hilarious. No way that was legal, freaky loud and we were no-where near it.

Oh, and you didn't miss anything with the prizes. Because of the guy breaking his thigh it ended up being delayed to gone 10pm and there was only a handful of stuff on offer anyway (nothing like the haul Stu manages for the WRT). Giving the frame to the guy that helped stretched the injured rider off the hill seemed like a no brainer.
mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

I had no idea someone got hurt that badly, what happened?

Accidently scratched my arm this afternoon and found I still had some nettle stings about!
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Crash on the final descent (the rocky / loose one) from the headland into Swanage.

mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

Nasty! That descent was pretty loose- I was more or less sliding on loose chalk with both wheels locked trying to go round some walkers at one point.

He must have hit the deck pretty hard
mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

I can't believe it's been three months, but I finally got around to sorting out some of the photos from this-
https://www.flickr.com/photos/80976333@ ... 2637333495

There was definitely gravel-

Gravel, all the way to the horizon by MatGoesSomewhere, on Flickr
Pat

Post by Pat »

That's a cool picture