Switch oveR

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ianfitz

Re: Switch oveR

Post by ianfitz »

Here is a few pics of my version.

Mine has no socket so the wire from the dynamo comes up the fork leg then directly into the cut off bar end can be seen with the red heat shrink on it. the cables for the revo an C2C charger come out the other hole (out of site) they are under the bar tape - oh yeah, slick huh :wink:

The C2C sits in the revalate bag as the first one seemed to not be happy getting very wet.

ImageSwitch by Ian Fitz, on Flickr

ImageSwitch by Ian Fitz, on Flickr
Ian

Post by Ian »

Cor, that's a fancy bar end :wink:

Like the cable going under the tape, neat idea :geek:
Also wiring it direct is a bit simpler than mine, which is good. Trying to recall why I didn't do it that way :???: unless it was so I could bypass the switch and go straight to the light or C2C if the switch developed a fault?
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Ian wrote:Cor, that's a fancy bar end :wink:

Like the cable going under the tape, neat idea :geek:
Also wiring it direct is a bit simpler than mine, which is good. Trying to recall why I didn't do it that way :???: unless it was so I could bypass the switch and go straight to the light or C2C if the switch developed a fault?

I had bought them years ago from ebay, they were stupidly light and I stripped the thread fitting one Hence they have been in the spares box ever since. TBH I only ended up going under the tape as it wasn't fitted yet! Does look neat though.

I did think about failure, especially as I've had to send the C2C back for repair once. although if it packs up with the switch assembly it wouldn't matter as it can just be left switched off.

I left the cable that feeds the revo full length, just bundled it up and zip tied together, it sits in the gap behind the Lion harness out of the way. If I remove that I can tape the cable to the stem. So if the unit fails I have two spare crimp-fit spade connectors for the SON hub I can cut the cable by the switch and fit those, hopefully would only take a few minutes. It would be quicker to wire up direct to the revo, if you have enough cable length between the hub and the switch, if its trimmed to fit then you'd obviously need an extender.

Its been working as expected so final job is to add a little silcone to the cable in/outlets to stop any damage to the cables and keep everything where it should be.

Thanks again for the inspiration, its a really good solution :-bd
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Been using mine for quite a while now, still working!

The only thing to be aware of with these switches is that the covers seem to come off fairly easily (the ebay seller sells them as a separate item) and the switch setting can be knocked quite easily - meaning that you ain't charging the battery like you think you are...

i've just ordered a two position switch to make another set-up for my other bike. this should be harder to change accidentally
Ian

Post by Ian »

I did the soldering for my C2C connection the other night; will be up and running ready for the Lakes this weekend. Going to see how much charge I can put in a battery with a 100 mile ride.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Ian wrote:I did the soldering for my C2C connection the other night; will be up and running ready for the Lakes this weekend. Going to see how much charge I can put in a battery with a 100 mile ride.

I've been pretty impressed with how much charge ends up in the battery (from the C2C) I suspect that there are some sections of the HT route where the wheels will not be turning fast enough for much to happen though!