Tyre Assistance... Dorset Gravel Dash

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Tyre Assistance... Dorset Gravel Dash

Post by Richard G »

I need a little help. Going to be doing the Dorset Gravel dash with a couple of CX / Gravel bike toting friends of mine and I'm going to be doing my best to stay with them on old faithful.

I'm reasonably happy running a Maxxis Crossmark on the back (I know they're sub standard in wet weather, but I was able to handle it just fine tubeless in the WRT). Not sure what to consider for the front though. I know that they're going to struggle on the downs, so no need to worry too much about keeping up with them there, but they'll have a major advantage on the ups... so I don't really know how slick I should risk on the front. I have a Continental Race King that I'm thinking about using up front, but maybe that's not enough grip? Maybe something like a Maxxis Ardent or a Continental X-King?

Sadly I know the answer will end up being weather dependant but I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions.
ctznsmith

Re: Tyre Assistance... Dorset Gravel Dash

Post by ctznsmith »

I've only ridden last years route but the downs were mostly stoney/rocky and also fairly devoid of corners so I wouldn't worry too much about 'grip' really.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I have a Continental Race King that I'm thinking about using up front, but maybe that's not enough grip?
I ran RC all year round, front and back until very recently ... grip has as much to do with technique as it does tyres :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
I have a Continental Race King that I'm thinking about using up front, but maybe that's not enough grip?
I ran RC all year round, front and back until very recently ... grip has as much to do with technique as it does tyres :wink:
Well I be fooked then. :P
ctznsmith wrote:I've only ridden last years route but the downs were mostly stoney/rocky and also fairly devoid of corners so I wouldn't worry too much about 'grip' really.
Ok. Cheers. Did you do it on a mountain bike or something else?
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Continental Race King + downhill on wet grass = trouble in my experience :wink:
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

They'll be on tiny pointless tyres, and I doubt there will be much in the way of grass either.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Maxxis aspens are very quick rolling. Even more so than crossmsrks or ikons
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Yes rode the 2015 route last autumn on a mountain bike.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

ianfitz wrote:Maxxis aspens are very quick rolling. Even more so than crossmsrks or ikons
Last time I tried Aspens I found I couldn't stop... pretty much anywhere. Couldn't get up muddy hills with them either. They're really not a tyre that suits me for some reason.

Definitely fast rolling though.
ctznsmith wrote:Yes rode the 2015 route last autumn on a mountain bike.
You remember what tyres you were running?
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Did the fiddy-fiddy couple weekend ago on a 29er with ardents. They were overkill for 98% of the route. All depends on weather, and the crossmark is a great tyre so good choice for the rear. If its dry/dampthen why not another crossmark on the front? If wet then maybe something with a bit more grip although the crossmarks are still grest in moist conditions.

Its a brilliant course, with stunning views of the purbecks and coast. Enjoy!
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

I rode the 50/50 last weekend with some friends, they were on cross bikes, and they survived, I was on 3" B+ and I had a great time. There aren't many corners, there are some really loose sections, but even on 32cs you'll be fine.

The field of a thousand bumps was pretty brutal, and everyone was farting for hours after that. According to Charlie, it'll be a lot worse for the 100 milers, as there will have been a Point to Point horse race through there just before, and there's been quite a bit of rain, so it'll be super bumpy :grin:

Great route though, really enjoyed it.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Continental Race King + downhill on wet grass = trouble in my experience :wink:
Good job it's not the Dorest Grass Dash :wink: ... and you're right Andy, they do lack a little something on wet grass.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Richard G wrote:
ianfitz wrote:Maxxis aspens are very quick rolling. Even more so than crossmsrks or ikons
Last time I tried Aspens I found I couldn't stop... pretty much anywhere. Couldn't get up muddy hills with them either. They're really not a tyre that suits me for some reason.

Definitely fast rolling though.
ctznsmith wrote:Yes rode the 2015 route last autumn on a mountain bike.
You remember what tyres you were running?
On one Chunky Monkey on the front
Nobby Nic 2.25 on the rear

Slow, steady and pretty much overkill. the field edge bit in the middle after puddletown forest was a bit draggy/tedious.

Think the route has been tweaked though.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

wriggles wrote:Did the fiddy-fiddy couple weekend ago on a 29er with ardents. They were overkill for 98% of the route. All depends on weather, and the crossmark is a great tyre so good choice for the rear. If its dry/dampthen why not another crossmark on the front? If wet then maybe something with a bit more grip although the crossmarks are still grest in moist conditions.

Its a brilliant course, with stunning views of the purbecks and coast. Enjoy!
Hadn't considered doubling up on the crossmarks. Definitely a possibility.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Big fan of 29er crossmarks. One of the first fast rolling 29er tyres. I do find the side walls a bit vulnerable in all the versions i had tried. Would have been ideal tyre for the weekend i did, but couldnt be bothered to change from the ardents.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Did it in 2014 and live locally to the north end of the route, so I know the terrain.

Go with the lightest-treaded tyre you're happy with unless you really are going for the all-day armchair ride. I rode double Ikons on a rigid 29er and they were more than enough for the Purbeck descents, and overkill for the gravel forestry track and road sections.

(Having said that, there's a steep descent off the south side of Hambledon Hill that I think the 2015/2016 route does which is loose gravel and grass and bloody exciting on a rigid bike with Ikons once you realise there's no way you can temper your speed!)
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Where do Ikons stand vs say... Ardents or Ignitors? (Edit - Scratch Ignitors, they're probably overkill) Actually quite tempted to try an Ardent Race.

Hmm... and now I'm seeing a Crossmark II. Didn't know there was a new version. That might work quite nicely up front, though it seems no-one is selling it yet.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

As I under stand it, it goes Ardent => Ardent Race => Ikon => Crossmark? Might not be much in it between Ikon and Crossmark. We always used to use the Singletrack joke from a rigid Niner carbon review "optimistic for ??? Crossmarks" (insert month of your choice).

Dorset is not real MTBing; Ardents are my serious tyres!
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Balls to it, ordering a 26x2.20 3C/EXO/TR Ikon for the front and I'll give it a blast on a long route around Afan next weekend.

If I struggle with it, I'll grab an Ardent race (though probably go non Exo on that to save a little weight).

Edit - Goddamn it. No stock. =/

Edit 2 - lol, none on the Ardent race either. Yay, the joys of 26" wheels.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

The fastest set up I use is Conti X-King front and Raceking back.

I have no clue about the gravel dash, but it does sound like 2 x Racekings to me, or as above.
Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Especially on the rear...
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I might just risk 2 x Crossmark given the stock issues. Might make the descents a bit more exciting.

That said, I literally just got the GPX for the ride and to be honest, the hills don't look that scary to me (I'm still expecting to struggle to hang with CX racers, but still).
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Richard G wrote: That said, I literally just got the GPX for the ride and to be honest, the hills don't look that scary to me (I'm still expecting to struggle to hang with CX racers, but still).
Some of them have roaming livestock to add an extra challenge. :wink:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I cycle in Wales. I know no other way.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Tried a Crossmark up front and a Speed King on the rear today. Wasn't too bad for grip (aside from a couple of sketchy bits on wet rocks), but the Speed King (3c protection) is ridiculously bouncy. I don't know what pressure I ended up letting it down to, but I'm almost certain it's sub 20psi, which I've never run the rear at before (tubeless). Made some of the rockier climbs utterly unbearable, including one which I've done quite a few times and usually enjoy.

I'm really not convinced it's going to have that much of a rolling resistance advantage if I end up having to run it at 15psi so that I can stand to actually be on the bike.

(This on a 26er, for what it's worth... and yes, they do still exist.)
atk

Post by atk »

Lower pressure doesn't mean slower...
On rough surfaces, however, a tyre at lower pressure is able to absorb more of the bumps than a tyre at higher pressure, with less deflection of the bike and its rider. This is the same “sprung vs. un-sprung weight” argument that demonstrates why suspension makes a bicycle faster on rough terrain — it takes less energy to keep the bike rolling if only a small amount of weight is lifted (like a small section of the tyre) than if the entire bike and rider is lifted by the bump.

Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/12/ ... HwjOWdi.99
(I know the article says that the lower pressure results in higher rolling resistance on very supple tyres and on glass etc. but I find I'm faster overall if I'm not being bounced around with the tyres at 40psi)