summer sleeping setup?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

HaYWiRe

summer sleeping setup?

Post by HaYWiRe »

Okay, this may sound odd or obvious given 90% of the time we need something warm and cozy for frosty nights, but for that small occasion where the nights are warm what do you use?

Last two nights I've been out have been very warm (10c) and I've sweltered in my 500g of down, while popping a leg out the zip normally works I just struggled to vent without ending up too cold! No goldilocks spot to be found so I slept on top of the bag under my jacket.

Given the rarity of these warm nights I dont want to spend too much or get too complicated, but I feel I need an option instead of my warm 3 season bag, obviously no insulation will still leave me cold so where's the sweet spot?
Dan_K

Re: summer sleeping setup?

Post by Dan_K »

I use a cumulus quantum 150 quilt in summer and just hang a leg out if it gets hot.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I think I mentioned this on your previous thread about sleeping bags. I've a lightweight 2 season bag and a similarly rated quilt. Together they are good enough for a full three seasons, at least down to -4/5C. Essentially I've come at it from the opposite end to yourself: augmenting existing kit.

Possibly the cheapest option is the Alpkit quilt but it's currently sold out. The guy over at UKHammocks also does quilts so you could check him out. I've a Cumulus 150 quilt.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

I use the same setup year round (Neoair Xlite + Zpacks 0 degree bag). Unzip the bag, use it like a quilt and hang various parts out to cool off. If it's really warm, I just push the bag aside and it's there for in the night if it gets chilly.

Greetz

S.
mtbmarkymark

Post by mtbmarkymark »

That's the beauty of a quilt they are ideal for warmer weather as you can use in a wider range of temps.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Very thin diy quilt with primaloft. Weighs in at 320 g and when I get in there with damp clothing it'll be dry come morning without having the insulation collapse. Klymit inertia or neoair x-lite, both in short version. Keeps me warm down to about 5 °C, but survived a night at -5 °C in it without damage.

But I wish it'd be easier to get my hands on hydrophobic down...
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

I am tempted to try one of these this year http://www.aliexpress.com/item/AEGISMAX ... 3fad5b2415 looks like it may have a DWR coating on it too
cycleofaddiction

Post by cycleofaddiction »

I've been OK down to about +5 just using a thermal seeing bag liner, down jacket and Thermatex blanket for backup
ddraver

Post by ddraver »

The last 2 nights I tried sleeping in just my synthetic jacket and legwarmers (in a bivi bag but that was just to try and keep the bugs off*) but I woke up a bit cold in the legs. I'm thinking one of those half sleeping bags might be a good solution. I had to unzip the jacket a bit!

(*it's a Rab one with a bug net over the opening, but it didnt work, I have been eaten alive!!)
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

A few summers back, I wimped out of a summer bivi as it was far too hot :oops: and I was also worried about brush fires (it was flipping roasting and had been dry for some time - probably quite an OTT thought :lol: )