Post-WRT : The Twilight Zone

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Post-WRT : The Twilight Zone

Post by RIP »

Sorry to start another WRT thread but this is about "after WRT", and I need some sage advice. I’ve always thought it’s not the case that the “lunatics” inside the asylum are looking out, but of course the real lunatics are outside looking in. In the same vein, having been away in the REAL world for 5 days I now can’t get back to the fake world! I’m sort of stuck in a twilight zone between the two. I can’t go back to the real world cos all me kit’s in the wash, and the fake world looks too grey and dull and full of irrelevance. So how does everyone else handle it? Drink? Drugs? A swift blow to the head? It’s all very disorientating.

Having started the thread, may as well bung a few pics up anyway. Had a desperately wet, knackering, awful few days – so will obviously be back next time :-bd .

Arrived a day early at Caersws station and rode over Clywedog dam with "Uncle Tony":

Overload on choc and bikkies at Staylittle Stores. Just like on “Crackerjack” (under-50s ignore that reference) we take great delight in receiving our free “Staylittle Stores” biros – the highlight of my day! - then past Dylife and around to Glaslyn and Foel Fadian:

Partook of a “last meal of the condemned man” in Number 21 in Mach – quite pricey, but it WAS my last meal ever – after bumping, literally, into Rhod Gilbert in the main street. Of course, it’s the Comedy Festival! Shame I missed Arthur Smith – great guy. "Comedy Festival" - a title which could equally apply to the next few days on our bikes. Kipped out at Dolgadfan in sub-zero temperatures (frozen tarp again), then off up to BB Towers by 9.30am. Thanks Chew for arranging the LHC, during which Scott, Rich, Mike, Nick and myself got hitched; it turned out to be a great little team, thanks guys!

Ours was the one pub / 3 cafes / 1 chip shop team. The cafe in Mach late afternoon had to be told how to make hot chocolate which was bizarre, as was a totally chocolate-free cappuccino (yeah, we’re trendy too) despite asking for “lots of choc on top”. Ten minutes later, cappuccino finished, serving lady comes out with the choc shaker! Ask her to pour it on my hand instead and lick it all off (ME not her!!)

Took the off-road Happy Valley route which was well named:

On down to Tywyn and the rudest chippie ever – brilliant. “What do you want?”. Just chips. Not happy when we said we were sharing one bag. Other guys order – “well why didn’t you order TOGETHER?”. Decide we want some water bottles. “Well I’ve got to go back to the fridge now haven’t I?”. Cracking fun. Note vicious seagull waiting to pounce:

Managed to arrive at Arthog Woods “Bikepacking City” by 8.30pm, found the last spot amongst the trees and set up. Honoured to meet both Taylor AND IanB AND SteveMorg who arrived just afterwards :-bd . Obviously Ian was on a mission and soon left.

Rain started at 8am so we headed down to Davy Jones Locker in Barmouth for a nice proper brekkie, then a gentle toddle up the Mawddach Trail. I know, amateurs eh? Disaster! Roberts Cafe closed! On a bank holiday???? Strange way to run a business but there you go. Stock up with chewy bars (no not Chew’s bars!) for the purgatory of the climb over to Corris, the reward of course being the fire road down the other side during which several of us reached warp speed and started to blur into the surroundings.

A great meal in Tafarn Dwynant in Ceinws, then a very wet night on a bog during which someone swapped my bike for something eminently more suitable:

Foggy, Compo and Clegg contentedly survey the scene near Melinbyrhedin:

Then back to the finish in time for the ace cakes and tea.

THANK YOU STUART AND DEE AND CHEW FOR A GREAT TIME!

“Reg”

BUT, back to the original point, how do I escape from, or deal with, The Twilight Zone?!
Last edited by RIP on Wed May 04, 2016 5:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Zippy

Re: Post-WRT : The Twilight Zone

Post by Zippy »

RIP wrote: BUT, back to the original point, how do I escape from, or deal with, The Twilight Zone?!
Be soo busy you don't have a chance to think of such things, or you're distracted from them anyhow. Image

Cool photos and write-up by the way :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

So how does everyone else handle it? Drink? Drugs? A swift blow to the head? It’s all very disorientating.
Quite drastic but I removed myself from the temptation and distraction of the 'Twilight Zone' and now live happily within my own reality. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
littlegirlbunny

Post by littlegirlbunny »

I am mostly now not coping with 'fake real life'

I have no sage advice on dealing with the twilight zone

Sorry!
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I don't think I'm coping well at all. Gone nuclear at a client and an employee so far... gone from drained in a good way, to drained in a horrible way.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bloody hell, sorry guys. I was hoping this might be cathartic etc, but it's gone all sad :???:

We need a group hug.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

im already planning a ride this weekend from wigan to Llandegla/Llangollen ( bivy) then meander me way back a day or two later :cool:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I assume you got home ok then? Fair play on riding all that! :D
Ian

Post by Ian »

With two children and a tired wife to come home to after the WRT, integration into normal society had to come pretty quickly, tbh... :shock:
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

Richard G wrote:I assume you got home ok then? Fair play on riding all that! :D
yea, cheers, im not 100% sure on mileage of day one because my pooter switches itself off if I stop too long and I need to restart it (and forgot on a few occasions) but I did 107 on day two and 85 on day three which took me back to wigan (and I haven't smiled since), Lol

just been invited on a bivy ride Friday eve to Saturday, happy again :-bd
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

It's the anticlimax that gets me. After weeks of looking forward to the "Big (for me) Ride", now its all over, life feels very flat.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

get out and do another then, nowt stopping you only You :wink:
slarge

Post by slarge »

I didn't do the WRT, but my way of integrating back into society is to have my head full of my last or next adventure......

The bivvy a month does provide a welcome relief sometimes
notinabox

Post by notinabox »

Ian wrote:With two children and a tired wife to come home to after the WRT, integration into normal society had to come pretty quickly, tbh... :shock:
ditto :sad:

that bridge ^^ has had a make over?!
The noise goes quiet when I'm on my bike :)
notinabox

Post by notinabox »

Richard G wrote:I don't think I'm coping well at all. Gone nuclear at a client and an employee so far... gone from drained in a good way, to drained in a horrible way.
my employee prevented a mild nuke at customer lol :grin: virtual cuddles all day keeping me away from owt abrasive ..............

post bivi blues is real ...............
notinabox

Post by notinabox »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
So how does everyone else handle it? Drink? Drugs? A swift blow to the head? It’s all very disorientating.
Quite drastic but I removed myself from the temptation and distraction of the 'Twilight Zone' and now live happily within my own reality. :wink:
Amen to that!

one day..................................
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

I find perspective helps - my Tuesday morning consisted of dragging my tired, achy self up to Newcastle to see a client with a spinal cord injury.

. . . I relish the fact that I am tired and achy from my weekend, and savour every minute of the whole experience . . . .well almost anyway! I'm still human :grin:
Matt

Post by Matt »

adjustablewench wrote:I find perspective helps - my Tuesday morning consisted of dragging my tired, achy self up to Newcastle to see a client with a spinal cord injury.

. . . I relish the fact that I am tired and achy from my weekend, and savour every minute of the whole experience . . . .well almost anyway! I'm still human :grin:
Does the perspective come from not having a spinal chord injury or not living in Newcastle?
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

Ha ha Newcastle didn't look so bad in the Sunshine! On a train to London now to see a client in Surrey . . . . I have been warned by the solicitor running the case they live in squalor. . . . I'm guessing in Surrey that might just mean they forgot to put the bins out last week ;)
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

I don't know about twilight zone, but I find myself in the disappointment zone.

Having a 12.5hr journey on the Friday from Torbay up to Malvern (via Buxton!), then the 3hr drive on Saturday morning to BB towers, I was already feeling a little jaded. Then standing around in the rain and hail started to wash my enthusiasm away a bit.

We had planned a 128 mile route. Basically a clockwise route taking in around half of the GRs. However, it was apparent by the time we got to Aberdovey that this was going to be too much. My buddy was already knackered, my waterproof jacket zip had broken and my feet were starting to feel crap like they did after doing the BB200 route in February and I didn't want to damage them again/further. On top of this, the weather forecast for Sunday was solid rain all day.

So, after feasting on very fine fish and chips, we decided to return to BB Towers, which we did by just after 11pm. We managed just over 50 miles which included lots of hills.

I know it was the right decision, but I can't help feeling disappointed. I love coming to Wales and partaking in BB rides. This is the first time it's not really gone to plan so feeling a bit glum.

I will have to come up with a trans Dartmoor crossing to make myself feel better I think!

The up side is that it was great to be part of another great event and to meet so many other crazies...

Si :-bd
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Ian wrote:With two children and a tired wife to come home to after the WRT, integration into normal society had to come pretty quickly, tbh... :shock:
This is the biggest leveller of everything, straight back to reality. I get this everytime I've been away

I think Bradley Wiggins came back after winning the Tour de France, feeling the big man, and his son said something like 'Daddy, I need the toilet' as soon as he got home. Said it was straight back to reality!
Robster

Post by Robster »

darbeze wrote:I don't know about twilight zone, but I find myself in the disappointment zone.

We had planned a 128 mile route. Basically a clockwise route taking in around half of the GRs. However, it was apparent by the time we got to Aberdovey that this was going to be too much. My buddy was already knackered, my waterproof jacket zip had broken and my feet were starting to feel crap like they did after doing the BB200 route in February and I didn't want to damage them again/further. On top of this, the weather forecast for Sunday was solid rain all day.

I know it was the right decision, but I can't help feeling disappointed. I love coming to Wales and partaking in BB rides. This is the first time it's not really gone to plan so feeling a bit glum.

I will have to come up with a trans Dartmoor crossing to make myself feel better I think!

The up side is that it was great to be part of another great event and to meet so many other crazies...

Si :-bd
I'm the unfit buddy...

Well, it's an adventure & the sometimes don't go to plan....

My cycling & fitness hasn't been great, add to that extra gear "Just in case" & it was never going to be a pain free ride. ;-)

As it was, it was fun, great route and for day one, nice weather once out of the headwind. It made me want to get out more, maybe return to Wales & explore what we didn't do & of course meet up again with everyone. Cheers Rob :-)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... bfe366dd3e

P.s. gutted to miss out on a night under the stars.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

What's that you say... four days of cycling in Ireland this weekend to bring me back out of the Twilight Zone?

DON'T MIND IF I DO. :-bd