Undershort Suggestions

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Undershort Suggestions

Post by Richard G »

...yes, I know many of you have horror story crotches that you could light a match on, but I'm still of the soft and gentle variety that needs protecting.

So with that said, does anyone have any suggestions for decent undershorts? I have a pair of extremely comfortable DHB ones that I love... but they're starting to wear out, and annoyingly you can't get them any more. I've tried a few of the standard lycra roadie shorts used as undershorts but none of them has been anywhere near as comfortable (I'm guessing because they're not intended to be worn under other fabrics).
ianfitz

Re: Undershort Suggestions

Post by ianfitz »

No idea about undershorts. Just wear Bibs unless it is raining.

Decathlon bibs are cheap and comfy up to 6 hours for a single day.

For longer, or more days Assos or red/white are my choice. However it is a very personal choice and fit is key really
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

Howies are pretty good.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I have loads of bibs for trainer work, but I just can't get used to them for out in the real world. Taking a leak etc is a massive faff and I just can't be dealing with it.

Nearly cut my bits off trying the whole "roll up leg" method.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

I use Altura night vision shorts and bibs, they're really comfy and they were half price on treds a couple of weeks ago so could be worth checking there
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

The decathlon undershorts are good. Same pads as the bibs.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Crikey, how much do a merino boxer short that's really nice to wear in the summer
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

Only actual 'undershorts' I use are the Endura click in liners that came with my Humvees, not bad padding and quite breathable as the fabric is a bit thinner and more mesh than you'd find on shorts designed to be worn on their own

Most of the time I wear bibs, either under baggies or on their own depending on weather and ride.
Either Decathlon B'twin Aerofit bibs which are fantastic and super slick looking material (and match the rest of my Btwin kit and Btwin road bike.
Or some basic Endura bib set which also very comfy and a bit more relaxed fit for comfort, still skin tight Lycra but no compression and a bit more stretchy for those awkward loo breaks.

You think taking a leak is awkward, being diabetic I have to somehow untuck a base layer, lift up jersey, pull aside bibs and hold it all out the way to inject myself. I get some funny looks even from other cyclists....i really should put a sticker on my insulin that says "Not Dope" :lol:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

You should label the syringe "EPO". :mrgreen:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

The last time I wore undershorts on a bikepacking trip was in 2014. I just wear normal boxer shorts now

It's a bit strange as I wear lycra bibs for cycling to work etc, but for anything on the MTB I rarely bother with undershorts now. I find it a bit too clammy, and I haven't had any saddle sores without undershorts on

I've not done any savagely long trips so maybe if you I was planning on something major it would be a different story
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Not really sores for me, it's the bruising on the second and third days if I don't. What can I say, I'm a sensitive little soul. :wink:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Richard G wrote:Not really sores for me, it's the bruising on the second and third days if I don't. What can I say, I'm a sensitive little soul. :wink:
It's probably because I'm not riding far or fast enough!
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Nah, the ultracycling grizzlies here will tell you that once you start doing real miles (I'm guessing 300 miles a day or some madness), then you go forever dead from the waist down and no longer need to worry about it. :shock:
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

I find the Endura six panel shorts are very good for long trips and much much better than the 'standard' ones they free issue with baggies etc.
Bit of a shock first time you take them off as the pad is bright red. :o
For shorter rides I find AK merino are annoyingly comfortable as I have two pairs of Endura and only one AK.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Dr Nick

Post by Dr Nick »

Another vote for endura here. Not an undershort but I wear them as that. I use the fs260 pro (now the pro II, I think) shorts under a pair of non cycling specific baggies from decathlon, the latter waterproofed with waterproofing stuff...

Endura do different grades of pads rated by miles / hours of riding planned and they're the comfiest padded shorts I've ever tried. As Mariner says the red pad can be a bit of a shock sometimes, also they have quite a thick pad so they felt odd for the first couple of miles on the first ride, and thereafter they just felt fab...

These shorts, a brooks cambium c17, and a tub of sudocreme (slippy and anti bac) = 1 happy cyclist! :-bd
Not so much a gravel grinder.... more a gravel (mud and tarmac) groveller...
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Endura seem to do these?

http://www.endurasport.com/products/?Pr ... code=E7010
http://www.endurasport.com/products/?Pr ... code=E0060
http://www.endurasport.com/products/?Pr ... de=E1023BK

I'm guessing I probably want the first one, with the 400 series liner? Their site states that's for 2-4 hour rides... but they don't seem to do any undershorts that go higher than that, so I guess it's tough.

The bib has a 500 series... but yeah, bib.

http://www.endurasport.com/products/?Pr ... de=E3096BK
Dr Nick

Post by Dr Nick »

http://www.endurasport.com/products/?Pr ... de=E7013BK

is the new version of the ones I use. But not a liner. and more ££... but, (assuming it's the same as the one in my shorts, and it looks like it, in my opinion a fab pad...the 600...
Not so much a gravel grinder.... more a gravel (mud and tarmac) groveller...
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Are they OK as undershorts though? I've had a lot of problems with normal road shorts under baggies (not least them getting crazy sweaty).

Obviously the liner shorts tend to be a lot better ventilated.

Edit - Ahh, you don't have those, you have an older version. I wonder how close they are.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Richard (and anyone else) have you considered that your saddle and / position may be having an effect on comfort. As some people may already be aware, I don't wear anything underneath my baggies and I also don't use any lotions or potions. The only times I've ever suffered undercarraige issues have been directly related to saddle or postion - just a thought.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

This isn't numbness or anything like that (sorted that a long time ago thankfully), it's simply that I have very little natural padding on my arse (hell, I'd go as far to say I have no arse)... so I tend to bruise very easily from impacts over bumpy stuff.
bryanwadd

Post by bryanwadd »

Whilst I can't help the OP with undershirts I'll join in and tell you what I do wear; Endura Fs260 pro 2 (I think) shorts, not bibs. Seem to be quite comfy for the rides I'm doing at the moment, 40 to 60 miles, and just ordered another pair. Half the comfort battle is the saddle though and I'm currently on a Brooks Cambrium C17.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

So I assume you don't wear those under another pair of shorts?

On the thread in general, I ordered the new version of the ones I like from Wiggle, a set of the 8 panel Endura, and a set of the gel filled Altura.

Hoping at least one of them isn't sub standard, or it's time to move to bibs, and get used to pissing myself rather than trying to get my bits out. :lol:
Laurensdad

Post by Laurensdad »

Endura singletrack mesh bib liners are just vaguely exciting and answer 99.9% of all faff/comfort/clammy concerns!
@philg1971 Instagram
bryanwadd

Post by bryanwadd »

Richard G wrote:So I assume you don't wear those under another pair of shorts?
I don't personally. I stick a pair of Ronhill Tracksters over the top when it's too cold.
Hoping at least one of them isn't sub standard, or it's time to move to bibs...
Some manufactures make shorts as well as bibs of the same version of the product, like the the Endura FS260 that I currently wear (I have one pair of bibs and two pairs of shorts in these). I prefer shorts to bibs in general.

Bryan
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

It's not really about that. There are many bibs which are well ventilated enough to be worn under baggies, but I've not really seen many shorts which go under more shorts (under / liner excepted of course).