Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

GregMay

Re: Cairngorm loop grp depart 2016

Post by GregMay »

Looking like we're going to have snow on the ground again :D
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Further north than Cairngorm Loop, but it was -3C apparently last night in Glen Affric.
Best to track Braemar (as well as mwis) this coming week because Breamar generally colder than Pitlochry side of cairngorms.
Gari

Post by Gari »

Frost on the picnic table in my garden this morning, actually a thin crust of frozen snow. Forecast is for colder through the early part of next week. Not much snow in the glen bottoms TBH. Going over Bynack there may be a little.
I have 4 days off but currently sporting manflu, (73 students kicking about all week!) but I plan to get out for a few shortish rides on the CX bike. If I can drag myself away from my projector/movie collection I shall post some relevant pics.
Howard

Post by Howard »

Well my shiny new Trekkertent Stealth arrived this week so I just had to try it in the garden last night (sad I know), and I left the garmin outside to record the temp. It claimed a low of -6 (which I don't believe) - although the cars and grass were frozen. We're only at 500ft (central Scotland) so I can believe it was a lot colder higher up. At least frozen ground is easier to ride over than bog :grin:
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

Was heavy flurries of snow all down dee valley ( im behind peterculter circa 150m an can see Clachnabens white top yonder ) yesterday and forecast for star of week too . Would expect snow on hills. How ever due to warm up thursday onwards.

Could make the river crossings a worry with melt water Last time i did the glen brown it was thigh deep after only the first snow and thaw cycle.
Nikk

Post by Nikk »

Packraft for rent - £200 a day :grin:
atk

Post by atk »

After cobbling the bike together at the end of last week, this weekend's shakedown rides didn't really go to plan... Loose cassette discovered on Saturday during a quick lap of Clayton Vale, thankfully nothing else fell off. After a bit of head scratching I realised I needed a spacer for the cassette as it's one of these silly 11s freehubs :/ bike shop shut by the time I figured this out so today's loaded ride was abandoned.

Remembered there's the required spacer on my road bike, I did manage to get it all built this afternoon, strapped bags on and loaded up the gear I'll be taking. Going to get out tomorrow night, hoping everything else works as it should...

Erring on the side of caution with kit - sleeping bag + filler bag, larger bivvy, sleeping mat, tripling up on gloves... Just got to figure out what to do about footwear now!
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Trail-rat wrote:Could make the river crossings a worry with melt water Last time i did the glen brown it was thigh deep after only the first snow and thaw cycle.
Hmm. That wil be nuts deep for me then! As someone unfamiliar with the route, where are the potentially 'dodgy' river crossings? Do I need to wear a wetsuit instead of Lycra?
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I do love a nice cold swim.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

GregMay wrote:I do love a nice cold swim.
However it's best done either before or separate to a bike ride, not during it...

I've had to bin a loop attempt due to the Geldie being impassible, but hopefully it'll be a shallow brook and not a raging torrent. River levels seem around average so I'm not worried yet.
Howard

Post by Howard »

Tri-packing! It's the latest thing don't you know. An individual time trial with elements of swimming, riding and HAB. All self supported of course...
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

hailstones on and off last night and woke up to a white out and mega gusting winds.....

Seemed like a good day to give the 90 a leg stretch.,

lochnagar....
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

It'll be grand.

*packs warmer clothes*
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

It's been snowing on and off all day today in Aviemore. The mountain is closed for skiing due to (no) visibility, high winds and drifting. There's a bit more forecast for the week but staying cold should reduce any melt. Other than Bynack Mor I reckon it'll be fine.
biggaygibbon

Post by biggaygibbon »

Is it going to be a matter of four seasons in one weekend?
Looks like snow showers - which in some ways would be better than rain....
From what people seem to say it is OK as long as there is not lots of rain/melt water to raise the levels of the river crossings.....
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Generally reassuring comments on the weather so far. :| Taped the front vents up on my helmet tho ... don't think I'll be overheating at any point!
Howard

Post by Howard »

Slightly mundane question to the folk who have done the CL before, prompted because when my wife asked what time I wanted to be dropped off at Blair next Saturday I didn't know. Do people just turn up in the car park for 10 ready to rock - or is there a cafe or somewhere where people gather to have a chat beforehand (in the warm :grin: )?
Nikk

Post by Nikk »

Howard wrote:Do people just turn up in the car park for 10 ready to rock - or is there a cafe or somewhere where people gather to have a chat beforehand (in the warm :grin: )?
From my past experience, everyone turns up at the car park about 30 minutes or more before the start, fumbles about with kit, takes photos, chats with fellow riders, and talks about gear and the weather. I'd turn up early rather than late, there is nothing worse than rushing just before the start.
Howard

Post by Howard »

Thanks. I'm really looking forward to meeting people at the start. It's the only time I reckon I'll see anybody - and that's not because I expect to be at the front!!
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

Hello hello......
Attachments
image.jpg
(207.76 KiB) Downloaded 283 times
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Trail-rat wrote:Hello hello......

I always new Scotland would eventually invert itself.
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

im impressed i managed that .... photo was taken with an iphone - i didnt think that was possible.

in other news - cairn o mount and glenshee roads both closed due to snow.
Howard

Post by Howard »

Not closed to mountain bikes though :-bd
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Trail-rat wrote:Hello hello......
How much whisky? :wink:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Once I can get to the all you can eat Italian buffet in Aviemore afterwards I care not :)

Or maybe before...