water filter

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gairym

water filter

Post by gairym »

stuart,

any chance you can tell me the name/brand of that bladder/filter set-up you were using on that ride we went on?

all,

any other suggestions for a light-weight/cheap water filter option.

cheers!
griffdowg

Re: water filter

Post by griffdowg »

Depends what you want out of it. there is a difference between filtration and purification, both have their way of doing things.

I sometimes carry a Nature-pure 1st need filter which does everything. Its not light though at around 500g but I have filtered water here in the UK and while travelling through Africa with no issues. We stopped buying bottled water in the end as we were going through 20L/day... that's a lot of plastic. We ended up filtering out of several water sources.

Clean water is a very complex subject, Its worth reading around to get the best for your needs. You may find something that suits your need on paper but still produces a high BOD which may not be to your liking.

The Overland Journal produced an excellent test of handheld water filters a year or so ago including their efficiency to filter out/purify E.Coli. It was a very informative read.

G
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The one I use is a Platypus Gravity Works ... it's possibly a bit too big for solo use though.

I sometimes use one of these, they screw straight onto a platypus foldy up bottle type thing.

http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/aqua ... 1044-p.asp

Not used one of these but have heard good reports.

http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/pure ... 4948-p.asp
May the bridges you burn light your way
gairym

Post by gairym »

cheers fellas,

that Thirst Aid Bag looks like it might be perfect.

griffdowg,

i'm not looking for African style water treatment but more just something to take the majority of regular meanies out of the water i most likely would have drunk without treatment on any other day (as i'll be out there for 10 days and could do without the squits).
gairym

Post by gairym »

ORDERED!