Todays ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Re: Todays ride

Post by fatbikephil »

Trail-rat wrote:More of a week

Just back from 300 odd km round skye and the west coast.

Will do a pic post later once i find the computer - we had the whole house bar the office and kitchen plastered while we were away so life is chaos atm.

All ill say is the drivers of skye are cunts of the highest order. - worst ive seen in a long time.

The bus, the library and the bank all tried to run us down overtaking in stupid places( blind corners despite plenty of long straights) at least 5 cars nearly hAd headon colissions passing us and a blue van from a dornie based removal company actually force a car to skid off the road while passing us on a bad corner - but none of us managed to get the reg number as we were all trying to stay upright while riding the verge and the car trying to regain control.
I've found this to be an issue on many of the islands, particularly the outer hebrides - I thinks its ignorance rather than maliciousness but no less disconcerting..... given the total lack of traffic its very frustrating when it happens. Maybe its incomers with London driving mentality? :wink:

Hee haw cycling for me this week in an effort to get my back sorted. Probably more walking than I've done for many years however...
PeteG

Post by PeteG »

Dave Barter wrote:I'm sat here in that kit Pete-G ;-)
Maybe you know Si Parton then?
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

PeteG wrote:
Dave Barter wrote:I'm sat here in that kit Pete-G ;-)
Maybe you know Si Parton then?
Nope but I've known Andy and Claire Smith for donkey's years
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

htrider wrote:
Trail-rat wrote:More of a week

Just back from 300 odd km round skye and the west coast.

Will do a pic post later once i find the computer - we had the whole house bar the office and kitchen plastered while we were away so life is chaos atm.

All ill say is the drivers of skye are cunts of the highest order. - worst ive seen in a long time.

The bus, the library and the bank all tried to run us down overtaking in stupid places( blind corners despite plenty of long straights) at least 5 cars nearly hAd headon colissions passing us and a blue van from a dornie based removal company actually force a car to skid off the road while passing us on a bad corner - but none of us managed to get the reg number as we were all trying to stay upright while riding the verge and the car trying to regain control.
I've found this to be an issue on many of the islands, particularly the outer hebrides - I thinks its ignorance rather than maliciousness but no less disconcerting..... given the total lack of traffic its very frustrating when it happens. Maybe its incomers with London driving mentality? :wink:

Hee haw cycling for me this week in an effort to get my back sorted. Probably more walking than I've done for many years however...
Not good and sounds bloody scary on narrow roads... I have to say I found the drivers on Islay to be really considerate (slowing down and waving too) on the short road sections I did a few years ago. Back up there again in May for a weekend so I hope we don't have the same experience as HTR and TR... is there an Inner and Outer Hebridean correlation? I know they have tried to promote cycling on Islay - maybe that make a difference... or maybe everyone on a distillery tour really takes it easy as they've no idea how much whisky they've packed away in free samples from 10 in the morning :grin:
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

15 miles of muddy Chilterns bridle paths for me this morning. I was wet, cold and covered in filth when I got home but very pleased I got out. First proper off road outing for my recently built up bikepacky bike too. The ECR fork suits the Inbred frame well. Must trim the brake cables one day.

I'm just going outside ...
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Today at the beach

https://youtu.be/REN-Z0Btr0M
Ian

Post by Ian »

Yesterday's ride broke a long run of minimal riding through most of March and early April, resulting from either being ill or looking after others who were ill. Managed 80 miles and 3,000 metres of ascent on the Shand Stooshie. The sun shone, and it was all great :-bd

summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Saturdays ride saw me showing some not so local folk around a great hilly route around Snowdonia. 60 miles and over 6000 feet of climbing. We had 4 seasons, rain, sleet, snow & sun!! The steep climbs warmed us up but the descents a tad parky!!

BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Dr Nick

Post by Dr Nick »

Tested out my new Alpkit bags, anything HD cages, weight distribution, and my newly lowered gearing, (20t rear sprocket on the alfine rather than the 18t) with a very muddy 13 1/2 miles along the Ridgeway from Chinnor to Watlington - and back yeasterday afternoon.

I popped into the co-op in Watlington for chocolate - took a quick snap in the 'audax hotel' (bus stop shelter) in the centre of Watlington. Foolishly l rode (grovelled) up Chinnor hill at the end of my ride to admire the bluebells.

it looks front heavy from the pics; Zephyros 1 tent on LH fork (poles in frame bag) ) Vango sleeping mat that doesn't go anywhere near as small as I'd like) on the RH fork leg and synthetic sleeping bag on the bars - all bulky but not too heavy. It rode really nicely, so a nice ride and a successful experiment...
Not so much a gravel grinder.... more a gravel (mud and tarmac) groveller...
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ieccrn901wrz ... 9.jpg?dl=0

Snow is finally melting on my commute. Photo taken from one of the 1000 options of high routes from the Entlebuch towards the Bernese Oberland.

After the last three weeks on my short travel susser I once again went for a ride on my rigid single speeder. Clash of two worlds...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Still working on my VV Explorer square. It's very therapeutic and taking me to some amazing, quiet little spots I'd never otherwise have visited.

benp1

Post by benp1 »

I've already posted this pic but I like it so I'm doing it again :-bd

Christened my new Brompton by riding down to see the Palmyra Arch that's in London for 3 days before being carted off to New York. Nelson's column is in the background

RIP

Post by RIP »

“Spars In Their Eyes” or a WRT warm-up run

Dunno whether this is “BAM” – have managed 3/4 Jan/Mar/April - or “Today’s ride” so I’ll just bung it here and hope for the best.

Getting a bit worried about WRT ;-). Especially since I’ll arrive a day early with a toddle over from Caersws station via Foel Fadian, and leave a day late to Caersws via Not Sure Yet. So, time for a test run to Snowdonia. Quite a wierd couple of days with daytime temperatures up to 20c and night time well below 0c as proved by frozen water supplies and iced-up tarps.

Thumbing a lift from a passing Super Voyager at Milton Keynes station took me to Llanduddiddlydudno Junction in a fairly astounding 2h19mins – very fast but those trains are made out of baking foil as far as I can see so quite a lively ride. After a spot of luncheon at Cafe Valley in Trefriw with me mate, it was out the door and straight onto the nightmare climb up to Llyn Cowlyd. I’m not into “numbers” or electronic gizmos but it was something like 400m in a couple of miles. Whatever it was it was a nasty shock although we managed it with three stops and no pushing. I’m very pleased I haven’t succumbed to the strange “1x11” fashion, as Granny Ring cruised me serenely upwards. Sadly I have no calorific calculations for lifting 81192 grammes up 400m (bike 11700g, me 61500g, barbag 2103g, stemcells 410g, fueltank 440g, koala 2342g, worn clothes 2697g). Do “worn clothes” count in the WRT Weigh-In by the way? If not, there seems to be a bit of a loophole there for unscrupulous riders such as myself if you get my drift ;-). By some miracle we’d chosen 2016’s sunny day but confusingly there was snow on the Carneddau in the distance. Should have brought our skis.

The slog along Llyn Cowlyd is beautifully remote, quiet and majestic; but a bit of a bone-shaker with a carry at the far end up onto the col. Having seen nobody at all so far, we were a little baffled to spot a party of Japanese tourists(?) lobbing rocks into the lake half way along. Are they always there I wonder?

The drop down to Capel Curig (short way) was a real bogfest – should probably have gone the longer way via the leat – the funniest thing being the considerable number of small wooden bridges placed at apparently random intervals across “streams”. We couldn’t tell the difference between the “streams” and the surrounding gloop to be honest. I foolhardily decided to rush one bridge, my front-wheel-lift totally pointless as it disappeared to axle-level just before the bridge, pitching me OTB. Good news was I landed on the bridge, bad news was I rolled sideways with both feet into the reeking bog and the smell of my shoes went before me for the rest of the trip.

Another tea and flapjack (I rate trips using the “Flapjack Scale”, this one was a 7), at Capel Curig Pinnacle Cafe (who serve stunningly good value breakfasts by the look of it – next time methinks), then it was off over Cefn Glas to Dolwyddydyddelllan. Obviously rank amateurs we had to push half the rise, ride the rest, then barrel down through the woods to the road. I’m getting the feeling we’re riding this whole thing the “wrong way round” ;-). Predictably Y Gwydyr pub was shut until 6pm (and in fact shut weekdays apparently) so the Spar saved our bacon, or veggie-sausage depending on your persuasion, and we stocked up. A 750ml bottle of nicely chilled Sauvignon slotted into my Alpkit Dual 20. Presumably if one mounted the drybag vertically rather than horizontally you could empty 26 bottles of wine into it, seal it up, then trot off to some remote bivi for a jolly party with 25 friends or a huge solo p1ss up. I mentioned to my colleague that it would stay chilled until we reached our, slightly dodgy, secret hideout at Llynau D* up in the forest, although I rather miscalculated the distance and climb ;-).
Sadly not enough room for the cheeseboard and biscuits in my Koala.

Why the hell won't photobucket rotate some photos properly?

A playfully chilly night followed and we awoke to frozen water bottles and icy tarps. One lump of tea or two with your breakfast sir?

By happenstance in the morning we passed Roman Bridge station just as the first train was wobbling down from Blaenau so we took it to Pont-y-Pant to save a bit of the ride to Penmachno. The guard told us they were stunned to get flagged down – the last passengers they picked up there had a steam-hauled train and the tickets cost £sd ;-).

After dumping the kit in the bushes we managed a circuit and a half of the trails – the new bits are quite entertaining.

Then down to the Alpine Cafe in Betws for a late lunch which seemed to consist mainly of cake which is no bad thing of course. Mine were the cabinet on the left.

A final spin on the last section of the Marin Trail (not keen on the rest of it) and back to Llan Junction and home. An interesting experiment this time was travelling with no water at all, just a Steripen (195g) with 500ml cheapo plastic bottle. This turned out to be a superb arrangement, I seem to have survived to scribble these ravings and the water tasted far nicer than anything out of a tap!

All I need now is a hundredweight of bum anti-chafing cream and I’m sorted for WRT.

Cheers, “Reg”
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
FlyingFox

Post by FlyingFox »

Just ticked off 40miles checking out the TPT, went further than I planned but did see a sign for a picnic area and figured that would be a good spot to get the stove on.

I loaded the bike a bit more than before so it was a good test with the added weight.
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

80 clicks on the "alford skyline"

was going to do the whole lot - but having previously scoffed at water filters in scotland..... today i would have given my left hand for one out near lumsden.

Nothing but stagnant fly infested pools on the tops . between soaked peat hags. Nothing running at all.

retreated back to alford after about 60k of the 100k trail.

Trails great fun though - the singletrack to fire road ratio is off the chart !

next time ill stick a bladder in the frame bag i think - woulda made all the difference. - just realised ive been on the bike for 8hrs and have not taken one nature break.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

An after Friday, and just getting to Hilbre Island with only a couple of minutes spare before the incoming tide would make it impossible to get the the main island, and 2 miles out from the coast without a plan B. :oops: :roll:

30 miles each way for me
smartay

Post by smartay »

JohnClimber wrote:An after Friday, and just getting to Hilbre Island with only a couple of minutes spare before the incoming tide would make it impossible to get the the main island, and 2 miles out from the coast without a plan B. :oops: :roll:

30 miles each way for me
w

Whenever we get to West Kirby and think of doing the crossing we dont have that margin for the tide timing
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

it was a close call for us, we got wet feet and we were only a couple of minutes from a potential disaster :o fun ride tho, just shy of 100 miles for me :smile:
barney

Post by barney »

Lawmanmx wrote:it was a close call for us, we got wet feet and we were only a couple of minutes from a potential disaster :o fun ride tho, just shy of 100 miles for me :smile:
Ha, well you should have set off sooner some of us had a much more leisurely approach to the island with dry feet!

A great little bivi with a twist, congratulations to the organiser! :wink:
Wait for me...
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

enjoyed a 100km loop of the peak toady. Bike in full HT550 kit. Sunny and hot (not complaining!) Jennride next week end then an easy 2 weeks. Gulp its not long now...

Well it IS long and thats the problem but you know what I mean!
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

Just over 50km of shade seeking today - I'm not built for hot weather.

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Trying to work out which cycleway / disused railway that is Macinblack - Cobleand near Aberfoyle is my best guess...

Todays ride home over the Lomonds was dry. And sunny. And warm / hot. My bike was covered in dust but no mud... its very odd. Plus my back is finally starting to behave. The downside was vast clouds of flys which got in my helmet, down my shirt, fecking everywhere!
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

^^^

A bit further south - It's the reclaimed route between Mansfield & Bilsthorpe in Notts. I call it Carson Alley due to the amount of burnt out motors that greet the adventurous to the heart of Robin Hood country.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

A pre #JennRide shakedown ride afterwork

Not bikepacked on this bike before but everything worked well
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

100 mile road ride on the single speed.

Did the north dorset cycleway loop forgetting it has hills not conducive to riding with one gear.

Then ended up having two pints in the village pub because I ran into a couple of guys I went to school with. Beer is a recovery drink right?