Kyle of Lochalsh to Aberdeen C2C advice

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Moder-dye

Re: Kyle of Lochalsh to Aberdeen C2C advice

Post by Moder-dye »

Cheers Gari, I'm sure there are plenty of possibilities, just good to know of any of note in advance.

Hope the weather plays ball for you :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Gari wrote:If the weather plays ball I plan to ride the GGW from Inverness to Gairlochy on Mon. I shall keep an eye out for a suitable campsite.

High or low?
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

It's odd that the high route doesn't show on OS or aerials, though is obviously well used on strava heatmaps
Gari

Post by Gari »

ScotRoutes wrote:
Gari wrote:If the weather plays ball I plan to ride the GGW from Inverness to Gairlochy on Mon. I shall keep an eye out for a suitable campsite.

High or low?
Not sure yet, depends on how much standing water is around over the weekend. I am on the tourer with 35mm tyres so nothing too sloppy!!
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Hi Gari, just wondering how the ggw ( high or low) was if you got out in the end?
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Last minute panic (I'm heading off tomorrow night) ...

Can anyone post a screen shot or GPX of the route they've used from Glen Affric over to Glen Morriston please, or confirm that my planned one is the good/reasonable one? Seems there may be other options worth considering, but the routes don't always show on OS, may be on a Harvey Map which I don't have.

Cheers

Kevin
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Nab the highland trail gpx file off www.highlandtrail.net - probs the best route.

If that doesn't work its easy to follow:-

From the A87 go up the wee road to Morvich campsite and on to the dead end where it becomes a good track, continue SE down glen lichd to the end of the doubletrack, swear your way up the single track climb past the Al Granda and (eventually) to Camban bothy, follow the double track from here down Glen Affric, staying on the south side of Loch Affric and loch beinn a whatsit. Hang a right on the only double track right turn, over the hill towards tomich (watch your turns here as one track ends up on the wrong side of the river) at the road turn right heading SW along the wee road to Hilton lodge then head SSE on the rough at first and then super smooth double track under the new pylons. This takes you over a wee hill into Glen moriston. The last wee bit isn't on the map as it was built as a new access for the pylons.

Good luck!
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Many thanks HTrider that is the route I'd planned :) Panic over!

I got confused at there is a heritage path route that cuts up earlier at the end of loch affric to go up via Allt an laghair and cougie that has strava usage shown, but to me it looked pretty poor on aerials.

Pretty much packed up, but seem to not be able to avoid a small rucksack, mainly for my waterproofs and a couple of small things. Ironic as looking at the forecast I'll be wearing everything I have including them :( Reckon I can proably get them in a small dry bag on the bars with the tent though...

Good luck, I might need it!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Moder-dye wrote: I got confused at there is a heritage path route that cuts up earlier at the end of loch affric to go up via Allt an laghair and cougie that has strava usage shown, but to me it looked pretty poor on aerials.
It's there, but very difficult to follow at the Loch Affric end. Better heading from Cougie where the poorest bit is then a descent.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

That makes sense. Going down certainly looked better than up :-bd
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

be aware that there is/was an off road duathlon goes through that neck of the woods and many of the competitors dont seem to be able to reset their garmin when they run so it shows as a bike track.

i was thrown by this too.