"Ideal Kit list"

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ddraver

"Ideal Kit list"

Post by ddraver »

Hi Guys

First post

I am off on my first bikepacking trip tomorrow for easter around the Eifel region of Germany. I am looking for a good example of a kit list I can see just to check I'm not forgetting anything really important.

It'll mostly be on-road/bike paths so not "proper" bike packing but I though I'd start reasonably small (plus there isnt a lot of MTBing in really easy access to The Netherlands (where I live)

Any ideas?

Thanks
David
Bearbonesnorm

Re: "Ideal Kit list"

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Let's start with, have you got ..... ?

Shelter inc' pegs, lines, poles.
Sleeping bag.
Sleeping mat.

Stove.
Pot / pan.
Lighter.
Fuel.
Food.

Spare socks.
Warm jacket.
Hat.

Tube.
Pump.
Patches.
Multi-tool.
Chain link.
Cable ties.
Gaffa tape.

GPS.
Map.
Batteries.
Camera.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ddraver

Post by ddraver »

Ok, so I ve done one of those cheesy gear photos:-

From Top left

Insulated Jacket (for off bike)
Waterproof + trousers
Light hiking trousers
LS Merino top

Sleeping Mat
Sleeping Bag (need advice on finding smaller versions of these at some point)

Spare Shorts
Leg warmers

(to go in small (apidura) frame bag and top tube bag)
Snacks and bits, soap, toothbrush etc
Phone and powerpack in waterproof bag

Bike tools
Stove and pot
Bivi bag (fits in pot)

(on bike, looking at the weather, tights, LS jersey, merino base layer
1 bottle, GPS
?Backpack (partly just for the Camelbak and a bit of extra emergency space to carry tea to my wild camping spot - not done that before either)

Anything glaring I ve missed?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Anything glaring I ve missed?
Can't really see anything.
May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Hope you're only boiling water in your pot or your bag will be a big messy after you've eaten
Howard

Post by Howard »

Ok so this is a bit late for OP, but do people take any lubricant for the chain? And if so what sort? I've done a lot of remote day rides in Scotland where the bike has been up to the axles in bog and rivers but always had the opportunity to give the bike some TLC every evening. What do people do for something like the HT550?
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Howard wrote:Ok so this is a bit late for OP, but do people take any lubricant for the chain? And if so what sort? I've done a lot of remote day rides in Scotland where the bike has been up to the axles in bog and rivers but always had the opportunity to give the bike some TLC every evening. What do people do for something like the HT550?
I lube it once a day with one of Finish Line's offerings. I use Finish Line mainly because I get it cheap and from around the corner.
Mostly I have the smallest bottle with me but it's still too big and lasts me multiple weeks worth of riding. Hopefully it won't take me quite as long to get around the HTR loops so I'll just take a mini dropper bottle. I know of at least one HTR veteran who lubes his chain multiple times a day, depending on the state of the chain. That's probably the most sensible way for the bike, but remember that those oils are very bad for the environment. Every time you dip your bike in a bog you mess up a fair amount of soil. That may be a bit picky, but something I consider. So perhaps I'll use biodegradable lube from Muc Off, Pedros or Green Lube on the next trip to bog lands.
gypsumfantastic

Post by gypsumfantastic »

Re lube: If you can get hold of one of the little bottles / plastic fishes that hold the soy in a sushi meal you can fill it with lube and keep it in the bottom of your toolkit.
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

Howard wrote:Ok so this is a bit late for OP, but do people take any lubricant for the chain? And if so what sort? I've done a lot of remote day rides in Scotland where the bike has been up to the axles in bog and rivers but always had the opportunity to give the bike some TLC every evening. What do people do for something like the HT550?
I've got a friend that uses those vape/vapour e cigarettes, and the liquids come in tiny dropper bottles, I cleaned one out and decant muckoff dry lube into there, and carry that with me.
Dry lube doesn't last as long as wet lube but doesn't attract as much crap either, easy to rinse off and reapply on the trail
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I needed to on this weekend's Braunton 150 - the first couple of off-tarmac sections had lots of muddy puddles, once my chain dried it sounded so bad I thought the bearings in my bottom bracket had gone. Only twigged what it was after going through some more puddles and the noise stopped until it dried out again :roll: A bit of TLC that night and the second day was quiet (as far as the drive train was concerned)
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ddraver

Post by ddraver »

Thanks for your help guys! It was a good weekend, if a bit mad at times

I wrote one of thems new fangled blogs about it - https://davekio.wordpress.com/2016/03/2 ... adventure/
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

gypsumfantastic wrote:Re lube: If you can get hold of one of the little bottles / plastic fishes that hold the soy in a sushi meal you can fill it with lube and keep it in the bottom of your toolkit.

Ooh! Now I like that. Good tip :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

whitestone wrote:
gypsumfantastic wrote:Re lube: If you can get hold of one of the little bottles / plastic fishes that hold the soy in a sushi meal you can fill it with lube and keep it in the bottom of your toolkit.

Ooh! Now I like that. Good tip :-bd

I use these for a couple of days out. Have a few that I refill..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Muc-Off-C3-Ce ... SwoudW5GQb
Howard

Post by Howard »

I use these for a couple of days out. Have a few that I refill..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Muc-Off-C3-Ce ... SwoudW5GQb
Cool - I got given a sample of the wet lube version in a goody bag at a recent race - and it's biodegradable too!

Thanks for all the replies - I do normally use Finish Line Dry (to stop picking up gunk) but it doesn't last very long at all. Was out at the weekend using the Finish Line Wet which seemed ok - and have now seen Finish Line do a "Ceramic" version which is meant to last and not pick up muck either, but as @Alpinum said, not very good for the planet. I don't like being in a remote place and seeing a sheen of oil in the middle of a bog, so will be giving the muc-off wet lube a try!