Uk Divide Route?

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ianfitz

Re: Uk Divide Route?

Post by ianfitz »

ScotRoutes wrote:
ianfitz wrote: I also made this, highly speculative, option from Fort Bill (although I realise the route may not go through FW) this is much less certain, and although there are tracks visible for pretty much all of this (on google sat. images) I'm guessing there would be considerable HaB and some long carries on bits of this... I've been very few places here and it could be utterly, utterly horrendous! has anyone been to anywhere on this?

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/8156766

In summary Glen Cona, Glen Finnan, Glen Kingie, Glen Quoich, Clunie Inn, north to Glen Affric, up past the Falls of Glomach, down to Loch Monar, round to Strathcarron, reverse HT550 route through fisherfield (ish), although there does like a possible shorter route past loch fannich - with a bit of HaB, though to oykel bridge via knockdampf, cut accross to the north of Loch Shin, then up to west merkland... Hmmm, who do we know who likes rough ground? Stu - is your knee recovered yet...
there would be considerable HaB and some long carries on bits of this could be a bit of an understatement. For a start, there's no track heading from Pait Lodge to Loch Calavie, despite what the OS might say :lol: It would be a boggy, peaty, tussocky carry to around Loch an Tachdaidh.

I think I was pretty clear that it's a suggestion based on a bit of clicking during my lunch break.

What we really need here is someone with local knowledge :-bd

Any ideas Colin :wink:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I have some (not so fond) memories of looking for that particular track, hence why it jumped out at me from your list. FWIW, it's preferable to head north across the foot of the glen, passing between Lochan Gobhlach and Loch an Tachdaidh to NH082345 (one small river crossing).

Cona Glen; I've done it the other way round and should work well in that direction. The descent to the A830 will be much more enjoyable than the push up from there.

Glen Finnan; The track up to Corryhully bothy is a good one (IIRC the bothy has a coin-operated electricity meter). Beyond that and over the col it becomes trackless in places.

Glen Dessary; I recall the path over the bealach to Glen Kingie being very, very wet but at least it exists. Crossing the river Kingie might be problematic depending on water levels.

To Cluanie; if you do the route in September/October then there's a chance that Loch Loyne will be drawn down and you could use the old "road to the isles" from Tomdoun to Cluanie. The route you've chosen is the next best option I guess. I'm not sure what state it will be in. Once at NH101072, it's a skoosh down to the road.

An Caorann Mor; good track - for about 4km and then deteriorates badly. Another I have bad memories of.

Morvich to Iron Lodge; big push up to the Bealach na Sroine. The section immediately out of the forest at NG985238 is particularly steep but then it levels off a bit. The path is well-used and obvious. The descent past the Falls of Glomach will require a lot of caution. It's thin, wet and a fall could easily be fatal.

Iron Lodge to Maol-bhuidhe bothy; should all go easily enough. Another I've done in the opposite direction and thought heading north would be advantageous. Good bothy btw. A mate and I once reckoned it was the most remote place on the UK mainland (if measured from a public road). It might not be, but it's close!

To Strathcarron; should be fine.

Torridon; a known quantity

Post road to Fisherfield; I'll leave it to this years HTR entrants to provide feedback :wink:

Shenavall to Loch a'Bhraoin; popular route. One short uphill push. The track along the loch is often flooded. The bothy at Lochivraon is all but derelict.

Benmore Lodge to the top of Glen Cassley looks "interesting"

Is there a way of overlaying this route on the actual watershed?
mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

I can get you from sevenoaks to Guildford on generally pretty good riding if you want to come that way. Along the greensand ridge to limpsfield chart, up onto the north downs all the way to Dorking gives you views of London to the north and the Weald and south downs to the south, then it's the Surrey hills or the north downs to Guildford.

Not on the divide but the riding is good!

Andyb, I could probably get the route about as far as Tonbridge, although I'd have to dust off some memory cobwebs, if you could get that far west?

Actually, there are some really very scenic back lanes past hever castle way that would be nearer the divide.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Peter has put me in touch with Elspeth Luke who ran the Scottish watershed in a continuous outing of 34 days last year. She has very kindly emailed me all of her daily GPX files. I've not had the chance to look at them as yet but will stitch them together so we have an actual WS to guide us.

:-bd
mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

I don't think I saw this link anywhere the thread- forgive me if it's been done

http://www.loughrigg.org/watershed/map/index.php

The line cuts just a bit south of some of the nicer bits in the Weald I've ridden. There are some nice bits around tilgate forest just south of Crawley at least
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

mat_swan wrote:I don't think I saw this link anywhere the thread- forgive me if it's been done

The line cuts just a bit south of some of the nicer bits in the Weald I've ridden. There are some nice bits around tilgate forest just south of Crawley at least

Thats a great bit of intel! nice one :-bd Its a really, really detailed route (guessing a gpx file or similar) with loads of notes on! I've emailed David to see if he would share it
Andy_B

Post by Andy_B »

mat_swan wrote:I can get you from sevenoaks to Guildford on generally pretty good riding if you want to come that way. Along the greensand ridge to limpsfield chart, up onto the north downs all the way to Dorking gives you views of London to the north and the Weald and south downs to the south, then it's the Surrey hills or the north downs to Guildford.

Not on the divide but the riding is good!

Andyb, I could probably get the route about as far as Tonbridge, although I'd have to dust off some memory cobwebs, if you could get that far west?

Actually, there are some really very scenic back lanes past hever castle way that would be nearer the divide.
No problem, I'll see what I can do.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

ianfitz wrote:
mat_swan wrote:I don't think I saw this link anywhere the thread- forgive me if it's been done

Thats a great bit of intel! nice one :-bd Its a really, really detailed route (guessing a gpx file or similar) with loads of notes on! I've emailed David to see if he would share it
He has replied with a link to the route data. It's a bit more techy than I'm able to manage so I've forwarded it to DB to look at. Hopefully fairly soon we should have a fox of the actual watershed to use as a reference guide :-bd
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I'm looking at it now. Having to write some code to convert his data format into GPX.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Catbaiter wrote:
ctznsmith wrote:Following the Avon loop pushes you away from Birmingham doesn't it? Which is good for avoiding urban areas.

If you ignore the Avon loop you can get from Derby to near Tamworth (and on to Birmingham if you so wish) via a pretty rough/bumpy canal path (Trent and Mersey? - I can dig out the GPX track if interested). Then you would have to drop south somehow between Coventry/Birmingham and head across Warwickshire and the Cotswolds to Stroud.
Good stuff. I've been looking at that section and scratching my head a little. If you could share the GPX that would be great thanks.
...just remembered I didn't track it! :sad:

However if you look at google cycling directions from Stenson to Minworth via Route 54 it will show you the route.
(use http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_in ... format=gpx to turn that into a GPX)
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Mr Fitz, you have mail.

I've sent Ian a draft of the GPX to check, also uploaded a copy here http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=vomkbggzpmukbobw

Caveat, I've not properly checked my code so this is draft. I've also omitted a whole load of annotation text that was in the source json data)
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Seems to work fine, though I've already spotted a couple of errors in the data.

NS 629 913; the watershed is slightly further west at NS 625 911

NS 543 907; possible mapping error with a stream flowing both ways.
Catbaiter

Post by Catbaiter »

Hi, based on the GPX track for the actual geographic divide, I've (very clumsily) used Ridewithgps to plot the first 500km. I've tried to use bridleways, green lanes and tracks as far as possible, but inevitably there are road sections too.

Since I have little knowledge of the SE I can't say that the route is open, any good, or if I've missed a complete gem. But it's pretty honest to the geographic divide and as far as the mapping is concerned is legal (Though I have my doubts about the PRoW distinctions on the cycling layer).

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/12740541

Only another 4 of these and we'll have the first draft of the route!
JezS

Post by JezS »

Nice One!

I've got a few days off after Easter - if my Ridgeway Double plans are scuppered by bad weather, i'll go and ride some of the Southern sections of this (in the region of the 150-300km markers) and report back.
Catbaiter

Post by Catbaiter »

JezS wrote:Nice One!

I've got a few days off after Easter - if my Ridgeway Double plans are scuppered by bad weather, i'll go and ride some of the Southern sections of this (in the region of the 150-300km markers) and report back.
Great!

The Cotswold bit is quite close to me, so I can check the top end of this section over the next couple of weeks.
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

If I pull my finger out I might be able to ride the Basingstoke to Devizes bit at the start of April.
Andy_B

Post by Andy_B »

Catbaiter wrote:Hi, based on the GPX track for the actual geographic divide, I've (very clumsily) used Ridewithgps to plot the first 500km. I've tried to use bridleways, green lanes and tracks as far as possible, but inevitably there are road sections too.

Since I have little knowledge of the SE I can't say that the route is open, any good, or if I've missed a complete gem. But it's pretty honest to the geographic divide and as far as the mapping is concerned is legal (Though I have my doubts about the PRoW distinctions on the cycling layer).

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/12740541

Only another 4 of these and we'll have the first draft of the route!
I'm in the last weeks of term at the moment, but as soon as I've cleared essay marking (mid-April) I'll get down to the start and have a scout around.
mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

Hmmm, so, been doing a little looking over the Crowborough to Hindhead or so section.

Some things-
-it manages to go past/through two places my dad used to take me fishing- Bewl Water and a little set of lakes in the west of the ashdown forest. So memories for me!
-the run in to Bewl Water from the east goes through bedgebury forest, which has a 'proper' waymarked trail, so it could be a nice stretch to link in to. It would basically divert around the edge of the wood rather than straight through the middle.
-I've done a little bit of walking in area between the a22 and a23 (a fair while ago now!) and have some distinct memories of brambles. Lots of brambles. I can't imagine the paths have changed much. Still, get the timing right and blackberries!
-The woods east of tilgate (just before crossing the m23/a23) may have some trails, others in the area do although some got flattened a while back. I don't know the eastern ones though really.
- We can probably figure out a nice way to use some of the trails around Holmbury Hill. Anyone getting there might deserve them. What's the position on small, fun diversions?
- Might be worth dropping off Holmbury Hill down to Peaslake as a food point because a)if the south east has a cliched trail that we send people down, it should be barry knows best. b) peaslake stores does good food.
- If I could recommend one deviation from the route in this area it would be to avoid the loop south of Cranleigh and instead carry on the along the ridge after climbing back up from Peaslake, then rejoin after coming down through Rowly. Those trails are fine, but the ridge is much better. I think I've attached a gpx (edit- apparently I can't)
- The hindhead area has some good trails but you'd need a local, it's a bit far out for me

Not all that much there, perhaps, but I'll try and look again.
mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

This is the bedgebury trail map- http://www.boarsonbikes.co.uk/wp-conten ... stJuly.pdf

Any route coming in from the east should pick it up and be able to follow it pretty easily
mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

In fact, it looks like it's on the OSM Cycle
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Heres a suggestion for keele (M6 crossing) to Greg Hut

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/8313942
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

ianfitz wrote:Heres a suggestion for keele (M6 crossing) to Greg Hut

Hi Ian. I think I can do a better albeit longer route from the north of the Dales. It takes in Bowes Moor and crosses to High Cup Nick from near Middleton in Teesdale. The route you have to High Cup Nick has some horrendous bike hike through waist high heather after the climb onto the top. Will get it posted up tonight.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Ray Young wrote:
ianfitz wrote:Heres a suggestion for keele (M6 crossing) to Greg Hut

Hi Ian. I think I can do a better albeit longer route from the north of the Dales. It takes in Bowes Moor and crosses to High Cup Nick from near Middleton in Teesdale. The route you have to High Cup Nick has some horrendous bike hike through waist high heather after the climb onto the top. Will get it posted up tonight.
good stuff cheers Ray
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Parts local to West Yorks - Manchester.

I'd be happy to make this more interesting if people want - rather than just the MTL/PB. It'd also bring in some more food options and bivi spots.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

GregMay wrote:Parts local to West Yorks - Manchester.

I'd be happy to make this more interesting if people want - rather than just the MTL/PB. It'd also bring in some more food options and bivi spots.
Go for it Greg. Local knowledge is key