advice on upgrading the underwear drawer!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

HaYWiRe

advice on upgrading the underwear drawer!

Post by HaYWiRe »

Right not the easiest conversation to start, and the modest of you might not be as quick to show off your knickers but its all still an essential part of our wardrobe.

So I ask, what underwear is good for travel?

I feel that in my recent change in wardrobe and my collection of technical clothing this is where I'm most disappointed. I've gone through countless socks that fall apart or stink easy, or underwear that chafes, stretches out and in all just doesn't do as advertised.

I want something for cycling,touring,general travels and the sort.
So this is what I'm after:
Wicks moisture
Antibacterial
Quick drying
Easy to hand wash/dry
Temperature management
Doesn't fall apart quickly after normal use

Does anything exist that does all this? I dont mind spending a bit if it means a reasonable level of longevity and bang for buck.
While my merino socks are fantastic, too hot for summer temps and most other merino under garments I find itch a bit too much,but could be just the ones I've tried. I'm looking into bamboo and other viscose based but want a second opinion.

So...what's in your knicker drawer? :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Re: advice on upgrading the underwear drawer!

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

May the bridges you burn light your way
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

https://www.truemountain.com/

make some boxers and other types of leg wear which will met your needs. They are a uk based manufacturer, a bit like PHD
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

I'm quite happy with my Bamboo underpants from https://bambooclothing.co.uk/. I haven't used them on an extended tour yet (and I've mostly been cycling in tights in the winter) but they feel nice and seem to be good quality/wick well when I have ridden in them.

Saying that I don't know if they're that much different/better than the 'standard' underpants I also own and have ridden in.
cyclingtiger

Post by cyclingtiger »

For anything longer than nipping to the shops or my short commute I wear either cycling shorts or cycling tights. Shorts are Altura and tights are Endura. No complaints for either and they've both seen me through many miles including a bunch of 200k+ rides.

If I'm touring I'll just pack some light cotton boxers for evenings which i'll wear while the shorts take a rinse and dry out.

I did a long day ride in boxers once and quickly resolved to never do that again.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Finisterre merino boxers (and the rest of their merino stuff) is neither too hot and sweaty nor is it itchy.
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

What's in my knicker drawer? Well . . . .

As for what I ride in that's probably even less helpful - http://www.marksandspencer.com/5-pack-m ... /p22324819

Primark used to sell better ones but now they have frilly elastic edges that aren't comfy . . .

Hope that helps
cyclingtiger

Post by cyclingtiger »

As for socks, I just use some M&S "cotton rich" socks unless it's a) really code then I wear ski socks or b) really warm when I wear short running socks. I tried bamboo socks once. They were really comfy but died very quickly.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

adjustablewench wrote: As for what I ride in that's probably even less helpful - http://www.marksandspencer.com/5-pack-m ... /p22324819
And apparently unisex as it doesn't fall under men or women categories :lol:

When in lycra, I'm just in lycra. Works best for me so far. Otherwise I'm wearing something like this: http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/helly-ha ... id_colour= (but not in XXL!)
gravitysucks

Post by gravitysucks »

Funnily enough I was thinking this the other week. Wore a rab baselayer for 4 solid days hiking and climbing and was always warm, dry and smell free ... couldn't say the same for the clean pair of cotton briefs an hour or two after heavy hiking!
I was thinking about trying something like this...
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

I am very impressed with AK merino boxers.
Just wish they did better colours.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
mtbmarkymark

Post by mtbmarkymark »

For hillwalking and evening wear in camp when bikepacking I like Rab Meco merino mix boxers. Don't go smelly too quickly so good for touring
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

Mariner wrote:I am very impressed with AK merino boxers.
Just wish they did better colours.
What! Are you serious better colours? Remind me never to share a bothy with you, stomping around in your boxers :wink:
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

Some good stuff by true mountain, haven't stumbled on them before, under is basic but looks to do the job.

I was looking at bamboo earlier when I saw the link in the bargain thread, though being just organic 60viscose/40cotton makes them look less appealing but I could be wrong?

Anyone know how well merino holds up longterm? I.e, rotating 5 pairs washing weekly, over the course of a few months?
If they work well id be looking to replace everything and at £25+ a pair its not cheap to fill a drawer.

And incase it wasn't clear I dont intend on doing too much cycling in them, Lycra is better commando :roll: Just the odd ride in baggies/no chamois. Mainly looking for travel, hiking, or for off bike wear whilst on tour.

Oh and can you get thin "summer weight" socks in merino? Or is synthetic a better choice during a warmer season?
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I've a couple of pairs of the bamboo skids. Cooler than merino but go a bit baggy once on, will depend what fit you prefer. Not ridden in them. Check the sale tab, discount code often still works.

Supernatural gear comes up often on Sportspursuit and is closer to £10 a pair. Comfy and probably more elastic as holds shape and more bollock control. Have found them good to ride and walk in.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

planet x have merino blend socks that are frequently on 'special offer' at £5 for three pairs. they are pretty hard wearing but at that priceI'm never too upset if one gets lost (or too skanky during a long ride to be kept)

I am a fan of merino generally but not for boxers that will be used on a bike, the texture seems to chafe somehow, not comfy at all
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

ianfitz wrote:planet x have merino blend socks that are frequently on 'special offer' at £5 for three pairs. they are pretty hard wearing but at that priceI'm never too upset if one gets lost (or too skanky during a long ride to be kept)

I am a fan of merino generally but not for boxers that will be used on a bike, the texture seems to chafe somehow, not comfy at all
Be careful with the planet x/on one socks - they shrink if you wash them at 40c :oops:
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

What! Are you serious better colours? Remind me never to share a bothy with you, stomping around in your boxers.

Are you boxerphobe or colourist? :lol:
Thanks for tip though next time I want a bothy to myself. :-bd
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

ianfitz wrote:planet x have merino blend socks that are frequently on 'special offer' at £5 for three pairs. they are pretty hard wearing but at that priceI'm never too upset if one gets lost (or too skanky during a long ride to be kept)

I have the opposite experience to Ian, PX/OO sox being the least durable things I've owned (think newer ones are better) and that merino in boxers is perfectly comfy.

Each to their own :cool:
Mpolo

Post by Mpolo »

+1 for the planet x thin merino socks wore them all round cuba
i have found 100% merino boxers go baggy and wear out quick and the better ones have some lycra in, my favourite ones are icebreaker from sportpursuit
Gari

Post by Gari »

I have a few pairs of Paramo boxers, very comfy and not overly smelly.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Cheeky Monkey wrote:

I have the opposite experience to Ian, PX/OO sox being the least durable things I've owned (think newer ones are better) and that merino in boxers is perfectly comfy.

Each to their own :cool:

Haha, we aren't help the OP make his mind are we!