Bivvy a Month 2016.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: Bivvy a Month 2016.

Post by RIP »

INSIDE Monsal tunnel now that's brilliant. 100' of rain protection, did you bother with a tarp as backup? ;). Great place anyway, although one would have preferred the Stables Bar to have been 100' feet away horizontally rather than vertically. Once organised an AGM for an outfit I'm a member of, on top of the viaduct. For no apparent reason we took along a table, chairs, ironing board (extreme ironing....), standard lamp, and a generator to power the lamp. In January. Bizarrely no mention at all from the walkers as to why we were sat there at all, only one question about why did we need the ironing board. Obvious surely? Only in Britain. Ian, am thinking of bivvy on Wooley Knoll a week on Weds, might drop u a line if ur around. "Reg".
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

A threesome with Carmen Picasso

It was going to be "The ides of March" but we are a day or two short.

Rather than go into the Dales again we headed south in to the wilds above Widdop. The original plan was to park up at Wycoller and ride from there but due to trouble from local ne'er do wells there's no overnight parking allowed so we parked up at Coldwell reservoir and headed into Thursden (just a couple of houses really) then the steep pull over the road to Widdop reservoir before following the Pennine Bridleway/Mary Towneley Loop back over towards Worsthorne.

One plan had been to bivy out by the ruins of Gorple Farm but my wife decided we should pitch up among the rocks near the summit of the track. After a bit of searching around we found a decent spot that wasn't tussock grass and set up the tarp. A brew and lots of chocolate biscuits later we turned in for the night. I was actually too warm, I think I've found the upper limit of my PHD bag and quilt combination, hopefully it's above the lower limit of the bag alone.

Apologies for the poor tarp setup, first time using the Rig7 so just getting used to it. :oops:

The mirk rolled in just after dawn so no views :sad: Blast down the PBW and over to Thursden then I surprised myself by cleaning the climb up through the wood, it's struggle to keep the front wheel on the ground steep and today was damp and covered with leaves so was expecting to walk at least some of it. Finally a steady spin back across the moor to the car (which hadn't been picked clean by the locals).

3/3 :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

2/3 - no bicycles, frost and sliding down a hill.

https://punkrockbikeclub.com/2016/03/paddle-out/

TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

2 out of 3 for me now. Yet another night just off the Ridgeway. Left my tarps at home and took my Lunar Duo to muck about with creating a bit more space inside by lifting the ends. Worked nicely but I felt very conspicuous as its not exactly the lowest profile of shelters.
I'm just going outside ...
Mike

Post by Mike »

Some of my March bivys are now up with a few pics on page 2 still :wink:
slugwash

Post by slugwash »

2/3. We 'adder' lot of fun in the sunshine heading up to Redlake, one of our favorite bivi spots on Dartmoor. The fog rolled in, before clearing and the temperature dropped below freezing. My tyre blew out on Sunday's return leg, and my improvised tyre boot was not quite sturdy enough to contain the innards so I wrapped a bit of inner tube round the outside and made it back off the moor and along several miles of road, back to my car. :-)

ImageP3130296 by Richard Lowerson, on Flickr

ImageP3120248 by Richard Lowerson, on Flickr

ImageP3120261 by Richard Lowerson, on Flickr

ImageP3120217 by Richard Lowerson, on Flickr

ImageP3130294 by Richard Lowerson, on Flickr

ImageP3130305 by Richard Lowerson, on Flickr

ImageP3130308 by Richard Lowerson, on Flickr
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What's goin' on? ... no pictures of you underwater Rich :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
slugwash

Post by slugwash »

Hah! The skinny dipping season doesn't start until next weekend!
HUX

Post by HUX »

No bikes this time but last week I headed out to find some snow. The Arrans had plenty.
Laurensdad

Post by Laurensdad »

IMG_20160320_143625.jpg
(1.9 MiB) Downloaded 850 times
Spring Equinox trip to the Isle of Wight 36miles ridden on some previously unexplored trails, chilly wind but great fun with Phil, Ian, John and Rach.
@philg1971 Instagram
Mike

Post by Mike »

nice pics pal...

Whoops im managed to get a quick bivy in again this month, I headed for the trails at Coed y Brenin this time for two days of rocky fun. I took my stuff and slept up in the forest at a cracking spot i found awhile back. It was a tad cold due to the clear skys so i got a fire going and drank my whisky!
It was still nippy on the morning so i got the fire going again before hitting more trails in the forest. After lunch i headed south for Corris to ride the Climachx trail.
Now if you havent rode this in alongtime like me or never, get yaself there ul not be disappointed its vaguely exciting, i had a massive grin on my chops be the end of it, but i will warn you theres alot of climbing first :wink:

Image20160320_072128 by mjc_226, on Flickr
Image20160320_073945 by mjc_226, on Flickr
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

3/3 Ellesmere canal, Colemere

An easy 15 mile ride out from home to a nice open wood, ideal for hammocking, right beside the towpath and only a couple of miles from the chippy.

Someone had built a shelter a while ago, then abandoned it. What a mess!

Amongst the rubbish (old sleeping bags, coats and the obligatory beer cans) there were 5 smashed radios

Pretty canal picture to finish off.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
TimBB

Post by TimBB »

3/12 :cool:

Up over the Wall ( that's Hadrian's) to Kielder. Around the reservoir then back home the next day.

Mainly forest roads and a couple of almost impassable "bridleways" that haven't seen a horse for donkey's years

No sign of any people anywhere. No houses, no cars. No mobile phone signal. Maps are semi useless as new forest roads pop up all over the place and old ones get overgrown.
Plenty of trees everywhere!
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

3/3 for this year with Mr Adby At the top of a Combe in that there Somerset.
51/51 :-bd
ImageUntitled by flatfishrufus, on Flickr
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Taylor wrote:51/51
:shock:................:mrgreen:.

Nice one :-bd .
jBay

Post by jBay »

Taylor wrote:3/3 for this year with Mr Adby At the top of a Combe in that there Somerset.
51/51 :-bd
ImageUntitled by flatfishrufus, on Flickr
Chilly with limited snoring from either party :)
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

3/3 for me now

I got the train through to Edinburgh on Friday lunch time where I picked up the start of the capital trail.

It started out as a beautiful day for a wee meander on the bike, I was making good time for the first 20 or so miles, the sun was out and all was well with the world!

By the time I got into the Lammermuirs a nasty head wind had developed and at points in was impossible to ride into, most of the up hills were spent pushing the bike and cursing myself for having thought this was a good idea. (Note to self, must find a more aerodynamic place to carry my thermarest) It's always worth it when you get to the top and see the view though.

I eventually got to the bothy at about half 6, after getting fed and warmed up I settled in for the night with a half bottle of Glenmorangie, a paraffin lamp and Mumford and Sons to keep me company.

I treated myself to a nice long lie the next morning, I eventually got up and was out the door for 08:30. The weather had remained just as windy as the previous day so I decided to head for Stow rather than Tweedbank, a decision I regretted once I realised how big the climb out of Lauder was. My biggest achievement of the weekend had to be beating a couple of roadies to the top despite the weight and un-aerodynamicness of my bike!

A couple of bacon rolls and a pot of tea at the Cloud House Cafe in Stow rounded out the weekend before I caught the train back home again.

50 miles and 3500 ft of climbing made for a braw wee trip away however it would have been much more fun if the wind had stayed away!
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Nice one Blair. Glad to hear you slept better in the bothy this time.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

3/3 - found a few walls and part of a roof in the Braunton Burrows that worked out well for the night before the Braunton 150. It was windy so I was glad for the coverage.
Brrrreezy
Brrrreezy
brrrraunton.jpg (124.68 KiB) Viewed 5309 times
Greetz

S.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Ray Young wrote:Nice one Blair. Glad to hear you slept better in the bothy this time.
Aye it helped I was pretty warm and dry when I arrived rather than soaked to the skin! I had forgotten how bad that climb into the hills was, it fairly warmed me up!
RIP

Post by RIP »

Looks lovely up there! That bothy's much nicer than our HOUSE - furniture looks amazing.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

RIP wrote:Looks lovely up there! That bothy's much nicer than our HOUSE - furniture looks amazing.
Aye, it's a braw wee bothy. The furniture's better than my house as well, it's just a pity there's no wood near by to get the stove kindled up!
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bad luck not much wood.... erm, on a closer look that furniture looks remarkably dry.

I'll get me coat....

Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

2/3 with a super-slithery trip out on the South Downs. Managed to dodge the showers pretty well but got very cold before going to a cold pub and failing to get warm for a couple of hours. Still, a climb up a chalky waterfall warmed us nicely before bed.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

RIP wrote:Bad luck not much wood.... erm, on a closer look that furniture looks remarkably dry.

I'll get me coat....
I've visited a few bothies that I have found to have had their furniture burnt and it was one of the first things that crossed my mind when this little lot turned up at Bunny's. Hopefully it won't happen.