the Northen 1000

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ianfitz

the Northen 1000

Post by ianfitz »

Inspired by thoughts of the former kingdom of Northumbria, and daydreams of just how good some of the trails in northern England are, it was created in my office one rainy lunchtime. Weighing in at 1000km and 22,00m it remains unridden...

Beginning at the memorial to King Ecbert in Dore at the old boundary between Mercia and Northumbria, taking in some of the best riding in the peak district, the northern moors and dales, the yorkshire dales, the lake district, the borders and the current county of northumberland, finishing at Berwick on tweed the original northern boundary of northubria.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/8017020
Last edited by ianfitz on Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
whitestone

Re: the Northen 1000

Post by whitestone »

I'm going out dear, I may be some time ... :lol:

Goes very close to our house mind.

Looking at the section between Wycoller and Lothersdale there seems to be a bit of HAB, did you mean to follow the PBW there?
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

[quote="whitestone"
Looking at the section between Wycoller and Lothersdale there seems to be a bit of HAB, did you mean to follow the PBW there?[/quote]

Hmmm. Really not sure about that bit. HaB through farmers fields and over walls... I'll amend the route at some point. It was made fairly quickly one rainy lunchtime. If anyone is keen to ride it I'll finesse the gpx a bit! Would be happy to take recommendations and suggestions for improvements too.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Might be worth following it using something like streetmap.co.uk there are some other <ahem>interesting</ahem> bits :-bd
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

whitestone wrote:Might be worth following it using something like streetmap.co.uk there are some other <ahem>interesting</ahem> bits :-bd
If you get a minute Bob could you list the others and I'll make some amendments, cheers
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ianfitz wrote:
whitestone wrote:Might be worth following it using something like streetmap.co.uk there are some other <ahem>interesting</ahem> bits :-bd
If you get a minute Bob could you list the others and I'll make some amendments, cheers
I'll drop you a PM or you can email me - I think you know where you can find that! :-bd
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Route now edited based on Bobs note :-bd

link in the OP has the updated route in. Any takers?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Some nice technical descents in the Peak! Did most of the ones around Hope/Edale on Saturday. An interesting climb out of Borrowdale (the one near Tebay), think climbing Potato Alley, the descent on the other side isn't much easier :wink:

I predict tears at about the 530Km mark :lol:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

whitestone wrote:Some nice technical descents in the Peak! Did most of the ones around Hope/Edale on Saturday. An interesting climb out of Borrowdale (the one near Tebay), think climbing Potato Alley, the descent on the other side isn't much easier :wink:

I predict tears at about the 530Km mark :lol:
Once you mentioned the route over Lambrigg Fell I though it may as well keep east and go past mosedale cottage.. Bothies are few and far between in England!

I've 'ridden' that bit around 530 before... fun, of one sort or another!