Latest Frame bag (and other goodies)

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

HaYWiRe

Latest Frame bag (and other goodies)

Post by HaYWiRe »

After my last bag not fitting and being ungainly wide, I set off to ripping it to prices and starting over, no more rolltop, thinner, a seam zip and divider.

Made using 1050d ballistic Cordura, Foliage Grey and Ranger green,
3M Milspec #4 Velcro.

And a few other bits I've made, an edc boo boo kit, and my current wallet, both fit neatly in any pocket

I just cant get away from the machines....i sew 9-5 as it is....
ootini

Re: Latest Frame bag (and other goodies)

Post by ootini »

Looks great!
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

Nice one mate :-bd is it waterproof?
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

Technically no, not seam sealed or 100% waterproof

However 1000d cordura is very waterproof and my previous bag made similar to this, was out overnight in heavy rain and not a drop got in.
Not even the seams which surprised me, although its no guarantee. I've also added a rivet to the bottom for drainage just incase.

Anything essential goes in a separate dry bag anyway.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

See, that looks really good and I like the notion that you are experimenting to work out what the best options are for you.

What sort of sewing machine (and how much practice) do you need? My wife has been talking about buying one......
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

Well you don't need anything too fancy, and all my projects are supposed to be simple, cheap and easily replicated.
I currently work on a Singer heavy duty, for demin and leather, its not industrial (no room next to all our embroidery machines) but its powerful enough for my use.

I've only been sewing for 4 years, completely self taught and now do it self employed as part of our embroidery business, I sew hundreds of badges onto Velcro and jackets but the bike bags are completely experimental and only for me personally

I also sew and sell custom military dog collars, but that's another story...
tenbears10

Post by tenbears10 »

Go on tell us about the dog collars sounds interesting :-bd

Have you got any pictures of what you've done with inner tubes ? I'm looking for some projects to attempt.
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

I have a dog, and got sick of going through cheap tat collars...so I made my own.
Using genuine 'merican milspec webbing and buckles, and multiple bar tac stitching I make pretty overkill collars, they get names embroidered on in glow-in-the-dark stitching and we sell loads on ebay.
I've even produced collars for an SAS German Shepard! A fact I'm quite proud of :grin:

I would post a link but it might be insensitive advertising on this forum without permission, that and I make them, I suck at sales....

And I do need to post more project pictures, my inner tube wallet is a few posts down. Its a right PITA to host and embed pictures entirely from a phone....
TimBB

Post by TimBB »

That looks good

I'm going to make one for myself.
One question ( for the mo)

You use a zip at the top. Could you use a velcro closing instead? Any disadvantages of doing so?

Cheers
Tim
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

I find a Velcro only closure not as reliable, it can pull out under tension, skag certain items you take out, and it'll drive to potty trying to get the Velcro to line up perfectly everytime.
Could be worth a try though, rolltops can work well too if you want durability.

If you do use Velcro, 3M brand is worth the buck for something proper strong! :-bd