Waterproof shell

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Waterproof shell

Post by ootini »

I need some advise on a wind stopper / waterproof shell to be worn on its own when warm, or over my light down jacket when cold. The down jacket is fine usually, but obviously when it rains its a problem, and also, when it's windy, it tends to cut through. Any suggestions or recommendations?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Waterproof shell

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

My Rab 'On - demand' eVent smock has probably been the best waterproof I've ever owned. Sadly they're no longer made but I would still say eVent is the way to go if you can afford it.
May the bridges you burn light your way
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Montane Minimus if you want to stay light and dry. Nearly as good as eVent, but no where near as durable in other ways.
Karl

Post by Karl »

What about your stylish bin bag you wore on the winter bivvy that looked pretty good stu :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What about your stylish bin bag you wore on the winter bivvy that looked pretty good stu :-bd
Very true Karl ... when you think about it, you're not going to find anything that's as waterproof, light and cheap. I know people will say, "oh but it's not breathable" but they maybe haven't ridden long enough on 'those' days when all notions of breathable go out of the window :wink:
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I've just bought a Montane Trailblazer which I'm happy with. It's stretchy, not stiff like some gore tex and has so far kept water out and not got damp inside. I wore it on one ride for 22hrs straight just over a base layer. I think it's replaced any need for a windproof.

*EDIT* one of the best things was that I could get a medium that didn't billow like a main sail and still have sleeves that don't rise up to my elbows when riding. :-bd
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

Budget?

I've been really impressed with goretex pro as a material. I picked up a half price arcteryx beta from rock and run last year. Made the price almost reasonable.
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

Montane aero event pullover is a good choice for me so far, doesn't stand up well to firecrackers (glaring at adman) but pretty durable to everything else I've thrown at it.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Do you guys wear these shells over down layers ? I'm thinking I'd need so size up to make sure the down could loft up.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Do you guys wear these shells over down layers ? I'm thinking I'd need so size up to make sure the down could loft up.
Very rare that I do but on occasion, yes.

Never bothered to size up as it's not something that happens often ... I rather have a waterproof that fits :-bd
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

ootini wrote:Do you guys wear these shells over down layers ? I'm thinking I'd need so size up to make sure the down could loft up.
Wearing a Montane Minimus over a Montane Featherlight jacket I didn't have to size up and it still seemed to loft. However that could be due to the cut of the Minimus and the 'micro-baffle' design of the Featherlight.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Ben98 wrote:Montane aero event pullover is a good choice for me so far, doesn't stand up well to firecrackers (glaring at adman) but pretty durable to everything else I've thrown at it.
I've been looking at one of these and promising myself I wouldn't buy one....
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Pretty sure Event is a PTFE material so maybe do some reading about that and PFOA's and it might dissuade you from buying one. :wink:
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

I've got a Paramo smock and because of the expense it was a gamble as I thought that no way could it work.

I wanted something that was soft, wasn't boil in the bag and you could wear next to skin. It might be heavier than other waterproofs but I find it so much more versatile and comfortable.
You can open the vents on the side if needed and the sleeves are designed that they can be rolled up all the way, which I find if you overheat in a normal waterproof, they don't have these features.

When I'm on the road bike commuting then I'll wear a waterproof without a hood, but these are OK for short periods of time. But I find for all day, out in the hills then the paramo is ideal for this.

It's a Velez adventure light smock. Sometimes it's not always about what's the lightest.
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Adventurer have you used it with a backpack?

I've had one two weeks and like it but need to shed some layers underneath as it's a fairly warm top.

However where my backpack sits against my back at the bottom the fabric has gone a bit odd/bobbly. I've sent them an email so I'll see what they say.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

ctznsmith wrote:Pretty sure Event is a PTFE material so maybe do some reading about that and PFOA's and it might dissuade you from buying one. :wink:

I didn't realise if was, interesting.
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

ctznsmith wrote:Adventurer have you used it with a backpack?

I've had one two weeks and like it but need to shed some layers underneath as it's a fairly warm top.

However where my backpack sits against my back at the bottom the fabric has gone a bit odd/bobbly. I've sent them an email so I'll see what they say.

I've not used it much with a backpack, mainly on the bike. Not had any issues with mine so far.

It can be a warm top, but I find that even though a little war it seems to remove a lot of moisture. I find I get that uncomfortable sweaty feeling with shells but not with the paramo.
However you can wear the paramo with a short sleeved top underneath or even just next to skin.

It's not a top for high activity such as running but for plodding all day on the MTB it's good.
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

GregMay wrote:
ctznsmith wrote:Pretty sure Event is a PTFE material so maybe do some reading about that and PFOA's and it might dissuade you from buying one. :wink:

I didn't realise if was, interesting.

You know that PTFE is used in vascular grafts.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Indeed, as I do work with various clinicians I know a good bit about various medical things. It doesn't necessarily mean I want to buy one...or ever intend to have one. Saying something is interesting doesn't equate to "burn it it's evil" . Unlike statins, which are ;)

Anyway, back to talking about waterproof shells.
atk

Post by atk »

No one's chimed in on Goretex Active Shell yet... Rode 240km in a the pouring rain yesterday, stayed nice and dry, seemed to breath pretty. Relatively bulky to pack, but fairly hard wearing.

Montane Minimus Pertex pullover thing too for an "emergency" jacket or for when weight/packsize is "important". Only downside it's a pullover and I can't imagine it would stand up to much use with a rucksack or similar.
Tam

Post by Tam »

+1 for Active Shell. Lightweight, comfy and no rain has got through in the last year on long days. Breathes well too.

Paramo is very comfortable but eventually you'll get wet. It wicks well and dries quickly though so it's pretty versatile.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

+1 for Paramo - the quito is a bit lighter than the velez smock and they are going for £135 on Sport Pursuit just now. As noted a bit warm but very breathable and totally waterproof in extremis. They seem like a great company too and do repairs at reasonable prices. A mate wore out her velez light smock - the back panely fell to bits probably due to rucksack use. For 60 quid Paramo put in a anew back panel, zip and a few other repairs and its nearly as good as new.
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

I'm not sure about the whole PFTE thing. The link below explains a lot more from the Gore perspective.

http://www.gore-tex.co.uk/en-gb/experie ... ochemicals

The thing I don't get is if ePFTE doesn't degrade surely that means that material will just sit around for ever! That's not necessarily a good thing even if it means that it won't be turned into chemical compounds that are ingested into the food chain.
ootini

Post by ootini »

I'd say budget is up to £100.

Most of the suggestions so far seem to be a bit more than that. I'd rather not spend a fortune, I'm a fair weather bike packer, so this is for when I'm caught in a shower. If the forecast predicts heavy rain, I'll be keeping warm and dry at home.
MM-on-POINT

Post by MM-on-POINT »

Gore element jackets can found for under £100.
Both my elements trousers and polertec neo shell fitt very easily in to a 5ltb stuff sack with gloves and over shoes.
I cant praise the gore active enough, neo shell is not wind proof but highly breathable.