Pennine Bridalway

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

didnothingfatal

Pennine Bridalway

Post by didnothingfatal »

Anybody ridden it? Looking at the map, coming North to South, to include the Mary Towneley loop, eastern side first, complete loop in clockwise direction, repeat eastern part and continue onwards to Middleton Top or skip the western part of loop and just keep going? Looking at two nights out ideally.
gairym

Re: Pennine Bridalway

Post by gairym »

evening,

i got this through just after reading this post:

http://robdeanhove.blogspot.fr/2012/05/ ... -ouch.html

might be something useful in there.....
didnothingfatal

Seems plenty written on the southern section and MT loop, but the northern section that officially opens in 3 weeks, different story
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

May the bridges you burn light your way
didnothingfatal

cheers Stuart, got the email about that book yesterday, guess it's the best source I can currently get. Too many books and maps, it's on it's way
Chew

Post by Chew »

Ridden a lot of the northern sections of the PBW, as parts of other rides, but never in one go. All very ridable, if maybe a bit dull in places, with it being a general use trail.

As for the MTL, convension is to ride it clockwise. You make the most of the height gain/decents. Done it once, not sure i'd be in a rush to complete it again.

Think Pistonbroke rode most of it a few years back with some non-biking friends so it might be worth asking him?
bigrobracing

Post by bigrobracing »

Steve Heading has had a go at the northern section, he thought it was a 2 day ride too, but he started at Middleton top! Well, he is a bit good isn't he? See here:

http://www.whytebikes.com/wp-whyte/?p=3148

Another friend is planning it (the whole route) over a hard two days, and he has bought that guide book so has at least read a little about someone else's opinion of the northern section. I think that, starting in Summit, or near the top of the MTL, the northern section alone would make a nice, almost sociable, 2 day trip with time for a pub lunch as long as you weren't after short days ;-)
didnothingfatal

Ticket booked arrive in Kirkby Stephen on the 27th June and head south, no train booked to get home, so it can take as long as it takes! I think I'll skip the MTL, just the eastern section and just keep going to Middleton Top. Hoping to get there on Friday late afternoon. Then piece together getting home from there :?
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Hoping to ride it this year at some point. Last October I rode from home to Middleton Top and up to the MTL and then turned round. Hard work on the hills, I am a rubbish climber, but I enjoyed the route. Seem to recall I did about 65 miles one day and that was 7am-11pm or something.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

We just did the MTL anti clockwise, nothing amazing but a consistently jolly good ride from start to end. Id do it anti clockwise the same if I ever do it again, worked well.
bigrobracing

Post by bigrobracing »

Well, having ridden the Southern section from Middleton Top, up to Summit, round the MTL and back down again a couple of weeks ago (report here: http://bit.ly/L5wemu); over the bank holiday I just did the Northern section, from Calderdale up to Kirkby Stehpen.

Having never ridden it before, I'd say that, although most of it is well marked, I am glad I had the Keith Bradbury book as there were a couple of areas where the signs were incomplete. The Northern section was a great route for a bivvy trip, much more of "big outdoors" flavour than the southern section which skims several towns. The trail itself is 99% finished, there was just one section where I had to negotiate a JCB. I had a fantastic time and I'd say I really preferred the northern section compared to the southern section.

My northern section few little words are here: http://robdeanhove.blogspot.co.uk/2012/ ... -bank.html

I'd also say that, unless you're really strong, or just want long hard days of riding, do half the MTL rather than trying to "do a lap", there are several little spurs of the PBW which will mean you're not going to cover it all anyway (well, unless you add another day or two to your trip!)
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

As Rob linked above, I went to ride the new northern bit earlier this year, however I didn't get there. I then has another go, and another before finally completing. I can't find the report to add a link - it seems to have disappeared! I'll paste a copy below if it's of interest.
I will have a gps route(s) if they are of help. Overall the new bit was pretty easy to follow, just a few little discrepancies.

As previously reported, Februarys attempt to ride the length of the Pennine Bridleway was abandoned due to major brake failure.
On April 4th I tried again. This was pretty much doomed before I started. The forecast was for blizzards. I tried anyway with another 4am start. The snow was settling quickly. Once I hit the tops it was bleak. Riding into a headwind of driving wet snow. At times, total whiteout conditions. I know the area like the back of my hand, but there were times where I couldn’t say exactly where I was without checking on my Satmap GPS. After battling the conditions for a few hours I turned around, headed for the valley and home. I was riding a new Whyte prototype, the photos don’t give much away!
A week later I once again tried again. Usual 4ish start. Calm for once, and no rain for the first hour. The ground was still saturated from the snow and recent rain so hard going at times. Throughout the day I got heavy showers ensuring the conditions remained challenging. Pennine gritstone in the wet – harsh, but ideal real world testing for the prototype Whyte. I was impressed. But then a major chainsuck incident resulted in me managing to bend the inner ring deeming it unusable, I didn’t have anything to try and straighten it and didn’t want to waste time fiddling, or risk bending the outer ring. I carried on riding as 1 x 10. It’s surprising how usable that set up is – just a few sections that I pushed where I would normally ride.
I reached Summit in around 9hrs - a decent schedule. In 13½hrs, after 99miles I reached the start of the new section. From here I would have to navigate as it was all new to me. The route was quite well marked and after a few hours I started looking for a suitable bivvy spot. Because of the frequent showers I wanted somewhere with a bit of shelter. Eventually, near Gisburn, 17½hours and 123miles after starting I found a stand of tightly packed coniferous trees that would do.
A relatively dry night and a few hours sleep. Back on the trail before 7. The first bit was rather dull – lots of gates and field crossings. After Long Preston though the route improved. The weather did the opposite. Heavy rain with thunder and lightning. Now into Limestone country with slimy mud and slippery rock – care needed. The rain stopped and stayed away for most of the day. Some great scenery. By 7hrs I was in Garsdale with Kirkby Stephen (the end) just down the valley. Another climb, hill traverse and decent brought me within a few road miles of the end. However the route took in one more climb – a ¾hr push! And the heavens opened again. I rolled into Kirkby Stephen after 9¾hrs and 60 miles. Straight to the Hostel to dry out!
Finally, third time lucky I completed the ride and the bike passed with flying colours.
Totals for the route: 184miles, 6879m ascent in 35hrs 20mins.
The next day I found a thick metal handled knife which I managed to lever out the bent chainring without damaging the outer, so for the road ride home I was back to a full 2 x 10. The 125miles took 11½hours – much easier going, and it stayed dry for all but the last hour!