ROW in Ireland

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

ROW in Ireland

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've just taken delivery of some OS Discovery maps for a forthcoming trip to the Emerald Isle. A lot of the intersting bits are just termed 'track' there's no distinction made between footpath or bridleway. Are these 'tracks' fair game as they'd likely be in Scotland?

Ta
May the bridges you burn light your way
trickyname

Re: ROW in Ireland

Post by trickyname »

There are no bridleways in Southern Ireland. There are real issues with land usage for anyone other than walkers over there. The Forestry Commission allows use of forest roads in some of their forests, but not all, from what I have read. I don't know for a fact what the law is, but it is certainly different from GB.
Its a real shame, as it would be a great country to ride off road in, but sadly there are lots of issues surrounding land usage. I believe that Northern Ireland has the same laws as over here, being part of GB.

:|
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

I lived there for 11 years, gave up and moved to Scotland :)

Bit tricky I'm afraid and tracks often don't exist or have just become part of a field. Pretty hard work without local knowledge. Whereabouts in the Republic where you looking?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Republic where you looking?
The original plan was go over to the west coast (thanks Blackhound) but that's now had to change. The new plan is a sort of mini tour around the Wicklow Mountains/National park.
May the bridges you burn light your way
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Probably the best area for it though no where near where I lived. I wouldn't worry about the actual legality of a track unless it's right through a farmyard or something, it's not that kind of country.

I think most if not all of the Wicklow way is cycleable (unofficially) though I never tried it. Try Epic MTB or MAD MTB Dublin based clubs for some local knowledge.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Just back from the West of Ireland where I did have a look around for you - was going to drop Dee an email later in week. Wicklow might be best for a 5 day trip even if the West is wilder and to me more beautiful.

I was also in Wicklow, an Aunt lives in Laragh / Glendalough. As has been said very little where mtb's can go but common sense will get you a long way. It will be quieter in the week as well so less walkers to upset. (Some interesting monastic ruins in Glendalough that are worth seeing - free to wander around)

(I walked Croagh Patrick last Wednesday and Lugnaquilla on Thursday - my legs hurt a bit after that).

There is a cycling memorial between Laragh and Glenmalure on the old military road to Shay Elliott - Ireland's first world class cyclist. (yellow jersey in TdF). A 3km slog up from the South and potential bivvy spot if you were into that sort of thing;-)
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I vaguely know the guy who was IMBA UK rep for Ireland. If you want me to put you in touch I can send you his details. Let me know.

Ireland's bonny. I spent 2 weeks working in Bray and sleeping in a van in a car park at the foot of the Wicklows. No problem from the Guarda but there was the odd issue with locals trying to have it away with kit / the motor (although that was on the sea front in Bray IIRC).