What do you do about muddy legs?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

What do you do about muddy legs?

Post by sean_iow »

Hi

I've been a member here for over a year, but not contributed much so thought I'd try and be more involved. I haven't been on a bivi since last May when the wife damaged her knee (running not biking) and had to stop riding, although an upcoming op should fix that. Whilst out riding last night I decided I really need to man up and just get out on my own, but also noticed that the current conditions mean that me and the bike are covered in mud. I would obviously take my jacket off and waterproof baggies... but what about the bottom half of your legs? At the moment it's cold enough to have leg warmers on so I could just take them off, although the thought of putting on cold, wet and muddy leg warmers in the morning doesn't appeal but they'd soon warm up.

When it warms up a bit I'll be back to just shorts, so what do you do about getting into your bag with muddy legs? I use a silk liner but I cant see that would stop the current level of filth form getting on the inside of my down bag?

Sean
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Re: What do you do about muddy legs?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I generally just sit around long enough for the mud to dry then brush it off with my hands ... but I am a tramp. Carrying a pair of base layer longs to sleep in should do the trick.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

What the tramp said^^^^^^
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Now you've pointed it out that's so obvious I cant believe it never occurred to me, doh! :oops: and it will be warmer so win win :smile:

Thanks
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Strange, I thought I posted on this but it never showed up. CBA to type out a full reply again

I wear tights under my baggies during the day if it's really cold, so no issue

If I'm camping I wear baselayer bottoms at night anyway so it doesn't matter
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Good idea Dan... but i'd need several bottles :smile: this is the state of my bike after a quick 14 mile round trip last night and my legs were the same

Putting a base layer on over the muddy legs seems the best option, I can brush the worst off first and the remainder will dry quite quickly.

Sean
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

A combination of wet wipes and long bottoms for me, or on most trips I end up near public rest rooms, taps or bike washes (not planned just I camp near alot of built trails) cleaning your clothes in a sink or car wash probably falls somewhere between tramp, and B&B touring, in praise of mediocrity :lol:

I also live in a valley nicknamed "waterfall county" which is quite convenient as fresh water is in abundance.

But I suppose I'll have to be honest and say I simple avoid getting too muddy :oops:
Its easier to wash off dry dust and gravel, I'm pretty sure I live in the wrong country.....
FLV

Post by FLV »

in winter I like to ride in a pair of padded bib shorts and a pair of full length bib tights over the top (non padded).

I carry a spare pair of padded bib shorts to sleep in.

When i get to the bivi spot I can get changed into my dry clean bibs. Legs are clean ish under the tights. I sleep in dry shorts and then slip the wet longs over the still dry and clean bibs in the morning. Minimise discomfort.

Summer, I do what they said and just brush it off.
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Winter: Gaiters or tights on days it doesn't rain.

Summer: As above brush it off or just get into liner dirty.

I actually once thought I had weird dark rash/suntanned area on my legs. It turned out to be stubborn dirt. :roll:
Joshvegas

Post by Joshvegas »

I shave my legs.

Stops hairs tughing in dried mud and you can quite effectively squeegy them clean with the bit between thumb and undex finger.
danielgroves

Post by danielgroves »

I tend to leave some wet wipes on my frame bag… I need them anyway to clean my hands before removing my contacts or putting some new ones in, so I brush the worst off and then quickly wipe down my legs with a wipe.
Adventures and Photography Blog: danielgroves.net/adventures-photography
Twitter: @danielsgroves
Instagram: @danielsgroves
Photography on Facebook: facebook.com/danielgrovesphotography
Photography on Instagram: @danielgrovesphotography
Ian

Post by Ian »

Joshvegas wrote:I shave my legs.

Stops hairs tughing in dried mud and you can quite effectively squeegy them clean with the bit between thumb and undex finger.
Same here, one of the advantages of leg shaving.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Mudguards - Crudcatcher type on front plus a muckynutz fork fender and a muddhugger rear with a home made section that goes on the back of the seat tube. Massively reduces mud on legs, face, arse and bags making muddy bikepacking much more comfortable.
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

danielgroves wrote:I tend to leave some wet wipes on my frame bag… I need them anyway to clean my hands before removing my contacts or putting some new ones in, so I brush the worst off and then quickly wipe down my legs with a wipe.
I was thinking I was the only one being far too clean by doing this :lol:
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Sleeping bag liner. Carry spare pair of socks and use the first pair as cloth to clean legs.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

What htrider said.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I'd assumed mudguards - but keep your saddle pack clear of the guard.
welshwhit

Post by welshwhit »

I just rub my legs clean as best I can then either put on some thermals or use a liner in the bag.

Seems to work ok