Re: Todays ride

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bugger - a day late again!

ImageP1020757 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Wheres that then Scotroutes??

40 miles of Ochills today, found the snow at 550m with a few inches above 600 but it was all in the murk....
Gari

Post by Gari »

Hey scotroutes, I think we may have ridden past each other yesterday on the logging way, I recognise the bike. I was on the cross bike just down from the woodshed, heading back into town!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Phil - it's the remains of a little croft at a placed called Ryniue, round the North side of Meall a Bhuachaille. I was just looking at the existence (or not, as it turned out) of some old tracks. I reckon I might have found a couple of excellent wee bivvy spots though! The hills in the background would be Ben Avon.

Gari - I don't recall seeing any bikes but it's certainly not out of the question. I'd probably have been in a daydream. If it was after lunchtime then you're right.
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

Ride over Cannock chase and canal.

First use of afterburner stove, works well. Using a pan from a trangia gel burner for a pre-heater and base.

So far I'm sold on alcohol stoves.

It's kind of therapeutic as well.

Some pictures here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130449394 ... res/130b29

https://flic.kr/p/CTktgH

Also found out that mice won't eat pastry

Had to help out fellow MTBer who was having 'the bonk'. He ran out of water and had no food.
My mixed nuts and fruit with added M&Ms were a life saver - apparently.
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

One.

Quite tired now. :roll:
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

A very slow slog in some very soft snow on the way to the Dulyn bothy. It'll be great if it freezes this week for the w/e.
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
danielgroves

Post by danielgroves »

I don't generally bother taking any pictures of people riding of anything, but what with having a new camera to test I took it with me. Only went for a spin around the local woods (Cann and Plymbridge for those in the know), but still good to get out after the christmas eating session, and general illness.

Adventures and Photography Blog: danielgroves.net/adventures-photography
Twitter: @danielsgroves
Instagram: @danielsgroves
Photography on Facebook: facebook.com/danielgrovesphotography
Photography on Instagram: @danielgrovesphotography
smartay

Post by smartay »

ctznsmith, is that a bamboo bike in the pic, doesnt the wet conditions effect it :???:
slarge

Post by slarge »

It used to be a small, but in the course of a ride it became XL......
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

A bit of adventure commuting for me today thanks to a small fall of snow and sub zero temps (And sun at last!) Home form Glenrothes over the Lomond hills (a pair of Marilyns in Fife) with a fair depth of snow (OK 4") above 300m and a nice clear moonlit night

Freshies!
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

smartay wrote:ctznsmith, is that a bamboo bike in the pic, doesnt the wet conditions effect it :???:
It is and as far as I've found so far nope.

Overall I would say that it rides and behaves pretty much like any other bike.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

htrider wrote:A bit of adventure commuting for me today thanks to a small fall of snow and sub zero temps (And sun at last!) Home form Glenrothes over the Lomond hills (a pair of Marilyns in Fife) with a fair depth of snow (OK 4") above 300m and a nice clear moonlit night

Freshies!

Where's this pick taken htrider? We're heading up there for a nights bivvy on Saturday
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

htrider wrote:A bit of adventure commuting for me today thanks to a small fall of snow and sub zero temps (And sun at last!) Home form Glenrothes over the Lomond hills (a pair of Marilyns in Fife) with a fair depth of snow (OK 4") above 300m and a nice clear moonlit night

Freshies!
I feel so lame getting fricking freezing last night on the way home in the South East. It was sleeting quite hard and my face hurt, fingers wet through cold and not happy. But it's not even close to this sort of stuff!
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

I feel so lame getting fricking freezing last night on the way home in the South East. It was sleeting quite hard and my face hurt, fingers wet through cold and not happy. But it's not even close to this sort of stuff!

But just imagine if you had all your cold weather gear on it wouldn't have been too bad.
That's not a criticism just think I can detect the end of a poggie in ht's photo so he is probably kitted out and enjoying his ride.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Mariner wrote:I feel so lame getting fricking freezing last night on the way home in the South East. It was sleeting quite hard and my face hurt, fingers wet through cold and not happy. But it's not even close to this sort of stuff!

But just imagine if you had all your cold weather gear on it wouldn't have been too bad.
That's not a criticism just think I can detect the end of a poggie in ht's photo so he is probably kitted out and enjoying his ride.
It was quite chilly as the ambient was around -3 and there was a stiff breeze blowing but it was dry so cold doesn't feel as cold (if you get me) plus I had my buffalo on, winter cycling gloves and as noted by Mariner I had my wondrous hot pogs on, so I was in fact roasting :mrgreen: The previous day I cycled home in sleet and snow (a short route fortunately) and it was 'orrible.

Blair, the pic is taken on the newly improved path from the top of glenvale heading northish. Its on the west side of the glen and connects with a P&K core path that skirts round the Bishop to Balgeddie toll. They're doing up the whole path from Holl to Burnside apparently.
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Up above the Panorama, up above Llangollen.

It was very grey, the wind was blowing horizontal wet snow. I'd managed to ride/push up that far. What looks like down hill behind the bike is quite the reverse. It got to be too much like hard work so I turned around and went home.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
smartay

Post by smartay »

frogatthefarriers wrote:Up above the Panorama, up above Llangollen.

It was very grey, the wind was blowing horizontal wet snow. I'd managed to ride/push up that far. What looks like down hill behind the bike is quite the reverse. It got to be too much like hard work so I turned around and went home.
Quite a severe frost in the morning here, although at 0600hrs, and Hope mountain had acovering but nothing like you encountered
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

Dartmoor in the snow. Started in a mud fest down at burrator, climbed the old railway to Princetown. Was nice going once above the snow line. Headed to nuns cross, went off piste to combeshead tor and then back to the car.
slugwash

Post by slugwash »

Jambo, is the ground frozen solid up on the high ground? We're off there later on a pedestrian bivi (forgive us Lord, but Saturday family run around logistics rule out bikes!).
Obviously the solidity of the ground will determine where we can roll out our beds for the night.
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

slugwash wrote:Jambo, is the ground frozen solid up on the high ground? We're off there later on a pedestrian bivi (forgive us Lord, but Saturday family run around logistics rule out bikes!).
Obviously the solidity of the ground will determine where we can roll out our beds for the night.
Not really. Sank through into bog pretty often.

Beautiful day up there today. Was up on great links tor at 586m and not a breath of wind.

Widgery cross, not a fatbike in sight.

Last edited by jam bo on Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

Looking east from great links tor.