What bikepacking gear have you just ordered/bought?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

bryanwadd

Re: What bikepacking gear have you just ordered/bought?

Post by bryanwadd »

Just purchased some MLD eVENT rain mitts and a Sawyer mini water filter from MLD. Looking forward to dry hands, hopefully! The filter is only $22 and as I was already paying for postage I thought I'd get the filter too :smile:

... and will soon be ordering a wheelset from Keep Pedalling, or whatever they're called; Stans Crest 29 rims and Shimano hub dynamo. Don't know what hub for the rear though, any suggestions?
benp1

Post by benp1 »

That cooker looks cooking!

Jambo, how did you wreck your gourdon? I ripped mine in its first ever outing following a crash. Have repaired it now but it's nowhere near as robust as a normal rucksack in that situation, most rucksacks would have survived without splitting
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

benp1 wrote:That cooker looks cooking!

Jambo, how did you wreck your gourdon? I ripped mine in its first ever outing following a crash. Have repaired it now but it's nowhere near as robust as a normal rucksack in that situation, most rucksacks would have survived without splitting
snagged it on a low branch, split it in two. we managed to stitch it back together but it wasnt very waterproof. thankfully it was on a last day of a 10 day trip whilst messing around in some woodsy singletrack in rekjavik.

to be fair to alpkit, they did replace it with a new one for free but I've been looking for something a little more robust.
FLV

Post by FLV »

bryanwadd wrote:
... and will soon be ordering a wheelset from Keep Pedalling, or whatever they're called; Stans Crest 29 rims and Shimano hub dynamo. Don't know what hub for the rear though, any suggestions?

You wont go wrong with keep pedalling.

Rear hub. Hope always fair well. Personally I've cracked a couple of hub flanges but I seem to wreck all sorts of stuff. Hope replaced the hub, no quibbles, no receipt needed, no issue. spares are cheap and available everywhere too.

I've also had some success with DT350. Apart from wrecking a pair of engagement rings in less that 100 miles (told you I was rough) its been flawless since.

Took longer to get the engagement rings on warranty than it did to strip my hope hubs, receive replacements and rebuild though.

Shimano are my go-to for cheaper. Reliable and rebuildable mostly so long as you dont let them get to far down the line.
Mrhoppy

Post by Mrhoppy »

Borah gear bivy with side zip and a letterbox hood. 3 weeks and then postage. It'll be a surprise when it arrives.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Mrhoppy wrote:Borah gear bivy with side zip and a letterbox hood. 3 weeks and then postage. It'll be a surprise when it arrives.
Nice. I love mine.
I'm just going outside ...
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Trailrat can you fit a bike in the porch of the hooli 2 etc easy enough and still get in and out easy ta
bryanwadd

Post by bryanwadd »

FLV wrote:
bryanwadd wrote:

You wont go wrong with keep pedalling.

Rear hub. Hope always fair well. Personally I've cracked a couple of hub flanges but I seem to wreck all sorts of stuff. Hope replaced the hub, no quibbles, no receipt needed, no issue. spares are cheap and available everywhere too.

I've also had some success with DT350. Apart from wrecking a pair of engagement rings in less that 100 miles (told you I was rough) its been flawless since.

Took longer to get the engagement rings on warranty than it did to strip my hope hubs, receive replacements and rebuild though.

Shimano are my go-to for cheaper. Reliable and rebuildable mostly so long as you dont let them get to far down the line.
Thanks FLV

Keep Pedalling have suggested the Hope Pro 4, which I think replaced the Pro 2 recently. It seems quite expensive but then I don't have anything to go by really. I like that it's British made though.

I meant to the say the dynamo is a SP Dynamo PD-8X, not Shimano.
Motorman

Post by Motorman »

I have just bought a rather lovely Salsa Fargo from Ton :-bd
Either 29er+ or 5" for offroad bikepacking and the Fargo for mixed surface / longer trips that doesn't require a clown bike.
danielgroves

Post by danielgroves »

Bert AKA Mike wrote:Daniel can u post up the model of ya camera when u get it I'm looking to get a new one be interested to see what u go for? Ta
See postman thread :-bd
Adventures and Photography Blog: danielgroves.net/adventures-photography
Twitter: @danielsgroves
Instagram: @danielsgroves
Photography on Facebook: facebook.com/danielgrovesphotography
Photography on Instagram: @danielgrovesphotography
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

jam bo wrote:
benp1 wrote:That cooker looks cooking!

snagged it on a low branch, split it in two. we managed to stitch it back together but it wasnt very waterproof. thankfully it was on a last day of a 10 day trip whilst messing around in some woodsy singletrack in rekjavik.

to be fair to alpkit, they did replace it with a new one for free but I've been looking for something a little more robust.
My old, bigger Gourdons are doing ok but suffer from slippy-straps as many seem to. They're pretty old though. I got one of the bikey ones and the stitching on that went a bit easily. Very subjective but I wouldn't have expected a "regular" sack to go so easily. Hey ho ;-)

Picked up a newer one recently. They seem to be made if a shiney, lighter material nowadays. Maybe that's not as strong?

Like the look of that Mountainhardwear one. Also tried Overboard but they weigh a tonne (sorta) and I don't like the shape
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I've just ordered 2 Synmat UL7's. A regular one for wifey, Millets still have them at £70. After much Googling I found a German place with MW's in stock so I've ordered one for myself.
NikDarkwood

Post by NikDarkwood »

After pulling my hair out trying to source ANY rigid forks in my dozen or so local bike shops, I do try and support locals when I can, I decided to give up. As I turn to walk out of the last shop, one assistant to another 'isnt there a couple of project 2's in the cellar?'.
Hmmmm newish, aheadset, reasonable length, disc+v plain black with discreet retro kona decal .... mmmm.... £30? Oh go on then.
Mind you this is going to make an expensive rigid as its taking my current build spend perilously close to my hundred quid budget :-(