looking back, and looking forward...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

HaYWiRe

looking back, and looking forward...

Post by HaYWiRe »

Right, year off to a close again. And its this time everyone tends to complain it went to quick, or they regret not doing something. And its this time everyone gets hopeful for the coming year.

Now in our little bubble things seem to be a little different. Given our very nature (and looking at recent trips) there is no On/Off Piste, no quiet season or hanging up for winter. But either way tonight marks another year completed and another one to start. We look back at our trips, our training, our mileage and numbers. And we look into our wallets for next years purchases and grand "around the world" trips.

This year have been a huge learning curve, my first year cycling (seriously, 18months ago I learnt to ride a bike for the first time) and my first year bikepacking. After checking all my computers I've ridden just over 2100mi. On 3 different bikes, 5 bikepacking trips and learnt my way around local trails.
Now this is no grand achievement or great mileage but I'm happy given the circumstances, and certainly hope to up that next year substantially.

Do any of you know your distances travelled this year? And do you have bigger hopes for next year?

I have 3 goals for the coming months, nothing too extraordinary but still a goal.
To ride and raise money for my charity.
To embark on a week long trip.
And to finally make my way up north to BBtowers and meet up with you guys :-bd

Happy new year to you all!!!
voodoo_simon

Re: looking back, and looking forward...

Post by voodoo_simon »

That's a great feat, you've done really well :-bd From starting to ride a bike to covering 2100 miles in 18 months is great.

Not sure on my distance this year as I don't track all my miles but you've probably done more miles than me and I've been riding for good knows how many years :lol:

Here's to 2016, let's hope it's a good one
PeteG

Post by PeteG »

That's bloody impressive for some one who has only just started riding. Strava tells me my annual distance is just over 7500km. On a diverse collection of bikes. A lot of that was commuting and for next year I'm going to try riding to work more regularly, not being so girly about a bit of rain. I'll aim for 8500km, but also want to keep the variety up.
And of course get my first over nighter done. Still a couple of essentials to acquire, but aiming for a spring outing.
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

Was hoping to get 3000+ miles done this year . . . But my unexpected time off the bike due to illness put paid to that idea. Strava says I've done 2725 . . . . I don't think I even have enough time to get the turbo set up and clock up the rest in my kitchen this evening.

Not too bothered though - will give me something to aim for this year. May be trickier as I will be travelling more with work so commuting by bike less.

But my general hopes for the new year seem to stay the same - ride more to new places, meet new faces and have fun catching up with old ones. . . . (But aiming to use the NHS less in 2016!!)
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

2100 miles is cracking for your first year.

I haven't really tracked miles exactly this year but the total is approx 8000 miles. I've cycle toured (on road) through 13 different European countries and drunk 315+ different brands/types of beer! :-bd

Next year. Less new countries however lots of new places and hopefully mostly offroad/gravel road miles. Plus a pack rafting trip and a challenge to myself that I'm hesistant to talk about as I'm not sure I can do it.

Happy new year!
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Firstly, Happy new year everyone!

Relatively slow year for me on the bike. 2245 miles according to Strava. Had most of December off the bike which hasn't helped. It's my second worst mileage since I got back into cycling in 2009. Combination of a lack of desire and no events or trips to ride for.

Most of my mileage has been on the cx bike, mainly on road, mainly out of convenience.

Bike highlights for the year - touring in France and Belgium with my best bud (my only bikepacking trip this year).
My longest ever ride (150 miles - Dunwich dynamo).
First lift assisted Alps holiday and a training day with UK Bike Skills that finally got my wheels off the ground.

Looking forward, I'll be doing the Capital Trail in April. Touring from Edinburgh to Newcastle. Hopefully a trip to Canada plus as many overnight trips as I can squeeze in.
I'd like to do some big Audax rides too and beat 4000 miles next year...

May 2016 be a good year for all of you :-bd
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

I have finally accumulated enough kit to be able to get out and stay out (Thanks Santa (and his BearBones elf.)

I was doing some long rides last year but little in the way of altitude, which will be addressed in the new year. Cycling has become a mainly solo affair for me nowadays with nearly all my mates having been lured by the smell of lycra and tarmac and the off-roaders not wanting to go any great distance.

So, for me, 2016 is about getting out for more than the day, being happy with my own company and flipping the finger to gravity.

Some of you may come across me looking confused and railing Barteresque at the heavens. If you do, just gently point me to the nearest pie shop.
barney

Post by barney »

Happy new year all!

After hardly riding let alone bikepacking last year I just want to get out and enjoy myself more.

Fingers crossed I can get a bit fitter and hopefully finally complete one of Stu's events.
Wait for me...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Only got in to bikepacking last year so the basic aim is to get more done. On top of that I'm aiming to do more ITTs this year - have signed up for the Cairngorms Loop and will do the YD300 again. I'd like to do more exploring though that's a lifetime's journey.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yes, happy New Year everyone, let's hope it's a good 'un.

I'd like the year to continue as it's started but a little warmer and less windy. I shall strive to inflict pain and suffering where possible and do what I can to maintain my rugged good looks ... sounds a lot like last year then. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Happy New Year all.

Tom and I did ~3500 miles in 2015 most of which was done May onwards. We've had loads of laughs, eaten much cake in cafes, and I've enjoyed watching his cycling continue to improve.

In 2016, Strathpuffer, HT550, PBW, Tour Divide and a few other things. I'd like to have a couple of weeks somewhere warm over Christmas too.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Last year .. No idea of my distances, too many bikes and not that organised with stats tbh. Had some good rides that I did record, going over the 200 mile daily marker during a multi-day road tour was probably the only one of note. Not for the distance, more for the fact I seem to have cracked my road-miles boredom threshold and how that happened has been a learning experience. Also managed, just, to do a ride with an easy daily ride level and enjoyed it, shaking off the need to feel like I'm pushing on all the time. I can be a tourer too now : )

Next year .. to keep healthy and fit would be enough. Maybe a good-for-me race performance, taking on the dark side of riding again, not sure if the motivation's there for that test though, or what I'm trying to get from it next time. Getting to somewhere with huge mountains and big spaces for a long ride with good company would be the best. Looking forward to September, riding from the Eurobike show at Lake Constance to Turin then riding the Torino-Nice.

Happy new year.
I'd like to do more exploring though that's a lifetime's journey.
Well said.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Well it's been one of the most eventful years of my life. We've been working towards moving to Spain for several years but mostly this had involved touring round looking at possible places and researching on the web. The reality kicked in when we finally set off in 2 overloaded vans to drive the 1400 miles to southern Catalunya. We'd bought a 200 year old finca with about 8 acres of olive and almond trees. One of the considerations was the proximity and quality of biking and we haven't been disappointed. The local cycle club has really made us welcome and 40-50 km Sunday morning club rides are giving us loads of local knowledge.
Returning for Christmas in Sheffield has really encapsulated why we did it, of course we have missed friends and family but it has rained or blown a gale every day, in Spain it has rained twice since September.
Setting off back tomorrow, Feliz Anyo Nuevo Todos
gairym

Post by gairym »

ctznsmith wrote:I've cycle toured (on road) through 13 different European countries and drunk 315+ different brands/types of beer! :-bd
Damn you sir, you done gone and beat me!

I was fairly impressed with my 237 new beers in 2015 but now it seems pathetic compared to your impressive achievements (the 8000 miles is none too shabby also).

Must try harder this year.....